April 19, 2024, 08:33:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Oscillator Bleed?  (Read 2631 times)

Bwalt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Oscillator Bleed?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:20:49 am »
Is anyone else noticing a fair amount of osc bleeding? I was using preset n9? (maybe 10) and noticed it, when not playing I hear the oscillators in the background constantly buzzing and it doesn't seem that faint, maybe it is because I'm using headphones but it is very distracting. On a good chunk of the presets I don't hear any and when playing the presets that do have the bleeding it is masked.

Is this by design? I find it odd that I never had any osc bleeding on my Minibrute. Do I need to watch my levels? Is there something wrong with my unit? 

Bwalt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Oscillator Bleed?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:47:54 pm »
I will try and get a clip tonight of what I am experiencing.. and correction it is preset n8 I notice it in the high notes.. a sustained oscillator sound even if I turn all oscillators off and turn all levels down except the headphone or master outputs.

Bwalt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:54:52 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/ben-walters-775021677/matrixbrute-patchn8

Here is some audio of what I am experiencing, it isn't just on this patch but i find this one one of the worst for the issue.

Patch N8

I turn master output to 50% and play a few notes, then tweak the OSC course knobs, turn the master output to 100% and tweak the SP filter cutoff and resonance.

Does anyone else have this on their unit? Should I just consider this preset a poorly programmed one?

VAU

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:31:54 am »
although i don't care about this little bleeding or little hiss from the bucketbrigade at all
(and if so i would noise gate it when recording)

i copied this here from the - very informative  - soundonsound review:

"...Of course, nothing is perfect and, early on, I discovered that the MatrixBrute suffers from audible bleed from the oscillators through VCF1, even when all of the Mixer levels are at zero and all of the routes to the filters are defeated. I raised this with the engineers at Arturia who told me, “We had made the decision to pack the MatrixBrute with lots of features, which meant a lot of circuitry. So, when it came to the board layout it was difficult to avoid crossing the filter area with pitched signals such as the VCOs. To give you an idea of the complexity of the problem, this board has around 6000 components so, while it wasn’t something we wanted, choosing to implement a 24dB/oct Steiner Parker filter — which is sensitive to bleeding from nearby PCB tracks — led to this issue. But if you push the VCOs to very high frequencies you can eliminate it.” I tried this, and it worked. So did turning the output from VCF1 to zero when it wasn’t needed!..."

my recommendation is: play the matrixbrute over a fat bass amp and not with a headphone.
;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:34:41 am by VAU »

VAU

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:58:21 am »
ps i wouldn't worry too much. at least i did not hear anybody comment great patches like khidr's or arthur fussy's 
with : lovely patches, but do you hear all the bleeding and hissing.

i understand that some are more sensitive to background noise than others but if it wouldbe a serious problem,
then the youtube comments would be full of it.

Bwalt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:44 am »
I figured as much I watched so many demos and reviews and not once did someone mention it and I definitely didn't hear it. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something wrong with my particular unit. If it is just a quirk of this beast then it is what it is. Time to init those noisy patches and make some better ones!

VAU

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:48 am »
that's the right spirit **

also you will see the background sound in one or two patches will get masked by the rest of the music.
There are legendary recordings where there for example is a a really loud (not like in you file) amp hiss noticable
all through the song.  but we never cared cause a) great song b) masked by other instruments.

i wouldn't concentrate too much on these very few little noises but rock on.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:18:37 am by VAU »

BobTheDog

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:42 am »
I guess when playing the bleed is masked, do like us guitar players and use a noise gate for when your not playing.

SoundRider

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 09:56:40 am »
I figured as much I watched so many demos and reviews and not once did someone mention it and I definitely didn't hear it.

Ohh ... then you might have missed this ... http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-matrixbrute it's in the Cons section. There is also an explanation for it and a work around suggested, which would be ...

• turn the VCOs to very high frequencies, or
  • turn down the volume of VCF1, if not used (IMO that's the practical way to do it)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines