March 28, 2024, 12:37:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Strange sounding init sound with Filter 1  (Read 1946 times)

Friendlynoise

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Strange sounding init sound with Filter 1
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:21:12 pm »
Is that normal?

Just init a preset. Set drive, brute factor, cutoff and resonance to zero on both filters. Filter envelope knob fully open on both filters. Set attack and release to minimum value, decay and sustain to maximum value on envelopes 1 and 2. Everything else untouched.

Please listen to the linked file. I switch between both filters using the filter routing button of the vco1.

First you listen to the Steiner Parker filter, then to the ladder filter. Excluding tonal qualities, both filter are shaped with the same envelope setting, but the Steiner Filter sounds plain wrong. Kind of slow attack and release even with the fastest envelope settings. The ladder filter sounds right. The difference in the clip is night and day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drg05ioiifqmt11/Matrixbrute%2C%20VCF1%2C%20then%20VCF2.wav?dl=0

Can someone reproduce this behavior? Any idea what could be the cause?

Thanks for your help.

BobTheDog

Re: Strange sounding init sound with Filter 1
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »
No mine is not like that.

If you go into panel mode and set it up there is it the same?

Patate le mage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
I tried, and was not able to reproduce the strange behavior. The tone is not exactly the same but the envelope are reacting normally on both filters.

Friendlynoise

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:34 pm »
Hi again. thanks for your opinions.

Still not working right. I tried from an init preset, from panel mode, from stored factory presets... Same behaviour.  ???

Please listen to the linked file. now with different envelope settings, but still wrong sound. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/01ldj49a7cm3jcy/Matrixbrute%2C%20VCF1%2C%20then%20VCF2%2002.wav?dl=0

Also a pic of the panel showing the settings for the clip above:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udhbqbjhuipdzz5/Matrixbrute.jpg?dl=0

I tried to link the second envelope to the filter 1 via modulation matrix. The same wrong sound. It seems that, not matter what I try, there is no way to get a fast snappy response out of filter one. The ladder filter sound always as expected.

I hope Arturia is reading this...

BobTheDog

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:54:52 pm »

Friendlynoise

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:32 am »
Done.

I installed the latest firmware, tried to link envelope 3 to filter 1, tried to shorten attack time asigning velocity to attack times in the modulation matrix... No success, not even a little improvement.

There is nothing more I could think of.  :'(

Patate le mage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:02 pm »
I tried with the exact same positions you show on your picture and my unit is answering normally, it seems your unit has some sort of problem.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines