March 28, 2024, 01:49:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP acting as pass-thru for incoming notes??  (Read 2377 times)

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
BSP acting as pass-thru for incoming notes??
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:26:00 pm »
Hi,

Got my BSP connected via MIDI to a bunch of gear (via some MOTU Express boxes). I'm on Mac, so I also use MIDI Patchbay to route various sources to destinations.

I've got most of my keyboards routed to the BSP, on separate channels.

One of my keyboards (a Korg Monologue, for what it's worth), is triggering the BSP to send notes to yet another synth. When the BSP isn't in record mode, I would imagine any received notes to be thrown away, and not forwarded somehow.

Is there some forwarding feature in the BSP that I haven't spotted? I basically want the BSP to not send any notes while it is not playing.. shouldn't that be easy to achieve?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Laurence
Be Happy. Live for Today

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: BSP acting as pass-thru for incoming notes??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:51 am »
No, there is not.  The BSP only sends thru notes it receives on the channels it is transmitting.  There is no way to change this currently.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:18 am »
@megamarkd: Do you understand why this behaviour is the way it is? I don't understand why this forwarding is useful at all?
Be Happy. Live for Today

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:53:57 am »
Not all MIDI devices have a THRU function.  Roland, for example often don't have any THRU, other companies have either THRU or OUT but not both at once (like my Rhythm Wolf and the Keystep).  I don't know the reason why Arturia didn't implement a complete MIDI THRU function for the BSP.  It is a little bit of a muck-around as it requires users to put the BSP at the beginning of a MIDI chain or use various MIDI tools to split then merge the MIDI signal in order to use the BSP anywhere else.
I currently have my BSP sitting before my Keystep but after my Pyramid, so I can't send notes to the Keystep to transpose it, as it's not on any of the channels that the BSP is transmitting on.  Quite a pain at times.  I actually need to repatch the whole MIDI network to get the Pyramid to address the Keystep....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

CardinalFang

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »

has this been fixed in the new fw version? also  sysex through?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:15:08 am »

has this been fixed in the new fw version? also  sysex through?

I don't know if it's a case of it being "fixed", as it was never touted as a function of the device to start with.  It's annoying, yes  and does pose an issue for those users without a way to split and merge their MIDI stream, but it was never a bug.

I sit my BSP before my Keystep as the Keystep has full MIDI echo functionality on it's MIDI out port.

I found this post: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87447.msg134297#msg134297
I mentions that a regular 1/8th" splitter can turn the BSP's MIDI out into two.  So with that in mind a user could use an 1/8th" splitter to split the MIDI signal before the input, then send the signal around the BSP to whatever the user wanted to receive the MIDI THRU.  You'd need a third 1/8th" to DIN5 adaptor.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:43:58 am by megamarkd »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines