April 18, 2024, 07:16:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 random multiple notes at full velocity - STILL A MAJOR ISSUE  (Read 4414 times)

Alargo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
This has been mentioned many times over the last couple of years, with a promise of resolution by firmware updates. It is, however, STILL a major problem. I recently bought a Keylab 88, it's running the latest firmware 1.2.0.6, and whenever I play quite rhythmically, especially around the middle and lower middle of the keyboard, I get these huge multiple-note, full-velocity random outbursts.

I have tried everything, turning off ALL aftertouch, changing curves, midi channels etc. No difference. I can get the keyboard to fault in this way, without fail, if I play firmly and rhythmically. Even if I play a couple of big chords quite hard, it'll do it. Every time.

So frustrating that this has been an ongoing issue but never has successfully been resolved.

Any advice/solutions much appreciated!

Alargo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I'm beginning to think that this is a hardware issue, as it only faults when played hard around the middle of the keyboard (C3 area). Could anyone with technical knowledge confirm how the key sensor strips are arranged? The fault reminds me of the old Ensoniq EPS-16+ which had a multiple pin connector joining the two sensor strips together, and was a source of crazy problems with that unit - until the connector was hard-wired.

When the fault occurs on the Keylab, multiple random notes sound across the board but also random buttons flash or light-up, especially in the MMC button area (play/stop/loop etc). The notes sustain until I send an all-notes off by recalling the preset I'm using on the Keylab.

Emporio

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my first Keylab 88 (I have 2) which would play random notes or random velocities from time to time, especially if I played around the centre of the keyboard.  Gradually the problem got worse until one day I had to abandon it in a live gig!
I took the unit apart and found that, during assembly, one of the ribbon cables from the key-bed had been trapped under the support post.  Over time the insulation had worn through and the cable was occasionally grounding on the case.
Simply removing the trapped cable and re-assembling fixed the issue and I've not had a bit of bother since!

Might be worth checking as you may have the same problem.  I'll post some pictures later if I can find them!

Best regards,
Ant
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:10:56 pm by Emporio »

Alargo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
FIXED! Thanks so much - while my problem wasn't exactly the same, it was caused by a stray metal filing or similar that was on the edge of the felt on the case lid above the ribbon cable. When I played a certain few keys hard, this had punctured through the insulation at one point and was shorting when the hammer weight pushed against it.

Cleaned the felt, put some thin electrical tape over the ribbon cable at that point, and it all works perfectly!!

I must say that Arturia were also very helpful to help diagnose the problem and even offered to replace the unit. Unfortunately there were no other units in the country so I had a look myself, knowing what your problem was, and realising that one of the ribbon cables was directly in line with the area of the keyboard which caused the fault. I guessed it would be something similar!  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:41:13 pm by Alargo »

Emporio

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
 :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines