March 28, 2024, 03:45:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: "How to" filter tracking?  (Read 3382 times)

VAU

"How to" filter tracking?
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:43:33 pm »
How do you realize filter tracking?

If i use  "keyb/seq" in the Matrix and for example rise the value for a filter, then low AND high notes get brighter.
i thought, if i rise the value, then the high notes get brighter and vice versa.

thanks

SoundRider

Re: "How to" filter tracking?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:50:17 pm »
If you link keyboard-tracking to a destination and set the modulation intensity the following should happen:

mod-intensity: positive --> the parameter increases according to the keys pressed (higher key, higher positive value)
mod-intensity: negative --> the parameter decreases inverse to the keys pressed (higher key, higher negative value)

If you link the cut-off of the filter positiv to the keyboard, the cut-off will follow the keys accordingly. At lower keys the cut-off will be lower and will get higher, when higher keys are played. In other words, a LP filter opens and a HP filter closes with higher keys.

The exact starting position of the effect is defined by the cut-off setting of the filter and the mod-intensity of the data knob.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:40:24 pm by SoundRider »

VAU

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
but there is only KEYBOARD/SEQ in the matrix, that can be used, correct?

if i route this to cutoff and dial in a positive value, then lower notes and higher notes both get a higher cutoff.

that was my question, as i expected that higher notes will get a higher cutoff and the lower notes will be duller.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:20 pm »
but there is only KEYBOARD/SEQ in the matrix, that can be used, correct?

if i route this to cutoff and dial in a positive value, then lower notes and higher notes both get a higher cutoff.

that was my question, as i expected that higher notes will get a higher cutoff and the lower notes will be duller.
It should work according to SoundRider's explanation. I just applied keyboard tracking to a patch here and it works fine. You have to juggle both the cutoff setting and the Kbd/Seq mod value together to get into the sweet range; as you increase the keyboard tracking you may typically also have to lower the cutoff and vice versa.

SoundRider

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »
It's like DrJustice says ... we have to set both, the cut-off AND the keyboard-mod-intensity. If you only set the keyboard-mod-intensity you indeed will have a shift of the cut-off.

I think the reason for what you are describing is that the mod-parameter of the matrix ADD to the setting of the mod-destination and the others, if more are set. We have this on other synths too. This way we can combine many mod-paramters and create quite complex mod-signals  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:18:13 pm by SoundRider »

flux302

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:16 pm »
A little tip about this. filter tracking is not really 100% on the ladder filter when you set it to +99 modulation. you have to use your ears, its actually somewhere closer to 94-96 depending on the climate and how warm the unit is.
also Steiner parker filters were never really designed to key track in keyboard tuning like a ladder filter to its less stable in that method.

SoundRider

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:35 pm »
That's exactly how I experienced filter tracking on the ladder filter too. It's seems to be somewhere between 96-98 on my machine. I tried to find the spot by playing notes about 3 octaves apart, until it sounded right. It takes a moment to get it right and I have the impression, it's not perfect along the entire range of the keyboard.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines