March 28, 2024, 08:17:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Different MIDI I/O channels and program change  (Read 3088 times)

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Different MIDI I/O channels and program change
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
Hi All,

Very new to MIDI but work in IT so it isn't completely lost on me. I am primarily a bass player also.

I am building a hardware rig rather than software, simply because I don't want to have a computer on stage. I like things simple. I like things the way I think too. The rig will have a few devices including maybe a KMI 12 Step and another foot controller like the Source Audio Reflex, controlling some kind of synth module. Not sure what yet.

I have RTFM and think I understand the answer but I am not 100% confident. The question is - can the KeyStep listen for program changes via one MIDI channel and output its CC messages on another?

Or is it simply going to be that I will need to manually recall one of the 8 settings via the KeyStep when the time comes?

It looks like other devices can do this, which means that if the synth is on CH1 for example, and a few devices must receive different bank/program change messages for their respective settings then I need to figure out how to make that work.

I have a sense of humour but please don't tell me I need to use Ableton etc to make this work 😃 Ok, maybe tell me the KeyStep will do it but Ableton will be "easiest" and I can go from there.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Different MIDI I/O channels and program change
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:14 am »
The Keystep needs to be manually changed.  It has a few modes for how the pattern switches, so you don't have an abrupt jump to the next pattern unless you want that.

Keystep doesn't pass sysex, if you need that, but it sounds as though you won't.  It'll pass program changes when in THRU mode and has it's own channel for transposing from an external keyboard, which is different to the one it sends the sequence and arp data on.

You don't need Ableton for anything, but here's the rub, how are you going to send the MIDI from a KMI device to anywhere without a MIDI USB host module, or a computer with a MIDI interface?  KMI controllers don't have MIDI din connections which, in my mind, makes them very limited.  I really can't understand how a device designed for live performance can be useable on stage when it needs to be tethered to an interface in order to talk to any instrument.  Sure it can be run-over by a truck and still work, but what good is that if the PC/USB MIDI host was destroyed by that same truck?  I'd have a controller from KMI if they made one with a MIDI din plug or an 1/8th" MIDI out (like the BSP).
That all said, that KMI 12 Step looks like a great controller and hard to pass-by as far as foot controllers go, so grab KMI's "expander" or Kenton's USB host to use it without a laptop and MIDI interface. Even iConnect's MIDI4+ would do the trick albeit be a bit of overkill, but relatively future proof for the stage (large number of MIDI din connections plus a USB host port which is advertised as USB hub friendly).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Different MIDI I/O channels and program change
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:51 am »
Thanks megamarkd!

Sounds like KeyStep is a deal even if I switch it manually. I am ok with that because I am an "individual pedal" kind of guy when it comes to pedal boards. Tweaking for the next song is a fact of life. On the synth side through I would like to automate or manage to some degree.

The KMI Expander would be a must. I giggled at the truck reference.

You are most helpful sir!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines