March 28, 2024, 08:55:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia, PLEASE!!! What is the future of the Spark 2 software?  (Read 7569 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Arturia, PLEASE!!! What is the future of the Spark 2 software?
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:39 am »
This question has been asked many a time, but STILL with no response from Arturia.
What is going on with the Spark software?
I own the CDM controller, and Spark 2 is my go-to drum software. When the myriad bugs aren't poking their heads up, it is wonderful software to use -- particularly in conjunction with the hardware. Fast and intuitive and very very flexible. Great potential power.
However, as you know, it has numerous pretty nasty bugs. I don't think I need to go into them here.
So what is going on? It was rather disconcerting to see Spark NOT in the recent V Collection update. Particularly with absolutely ZERO comment regarding why.
And then you come out with the hardware Drum Brute .. which is all fine and good and cool and whatnot. Sure. But it's not as flexible as Spark.
... and it puts a fear into me about the future of the Spark hybrid system.
Is this going the way of your Origin synthesizer? ... I mean, you're still selling the SparkLE hardware, which obviously comes with the software (which is STILL buggy)
Plus you've got this iSpark app which seems to get more love than Spark 2 itself. What gives?
Also, when (if? :( ) you do update Spark, for the love of monkeys PLEASE don't simply jump into Spark 3 and expect all of us Spark users -- particularly us hardware owners -- to cough up a bunch of cash. We deserve bug fixes to the existing software, without additional cost. Yes, I realize software development costs money. However, YOU are the ones who released this software this buggy.
New features? Fine. Put them in Spark 3.
But fix the bugs in Spark 2 for pete's sake. It's been too long since Spark 2 had any real updates. That last one was just ........ unimpressive, to put it mildly.

You KNOW the answer to this question. Why won't you tell us?  ??? :-\
If you have to let us down, then please just do it already. Get it over with.
This space left intentionally blank.

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Arturia, PLEASE!!! What is the future of the Spark 2 software?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:39:16 pm »
I agree with much of artao's post.

i also was expecting to see either spark 3 or at least an update with VCol5 but was disappointed too, it's one of the reasons i held off purchasing, that and the huge amount of bugs i was expecting and subsequently proved right about.

Spark 2 is such a 'nearly' piece of software, it's such a shame as it could very easily be the only 'drum machine' type plugin one would need, its hybrid engine is excellent imho, certainly against many other drum machine type plugins, things like BFD3 kick it to the kerb for 'real drums' but that's not what spark is about.

I think most of us have given up hoping for an update for spark 2 and some kind of comment from Arturia is sorely needed here as to what/when/if there will be a spark 3.

my personal wish list is...

Song position pointer.... even the most basic drum machine from the late 80s onward has this so WHY is it still not on board?

Mono outs..... simple enough?

Clocking regularities.... it's not just the sound of old drum machines people like, it's the feel or 'groove' they used to achieve, much like the older Akai MPCs which were and still are REVERED for their timing. Arturia is associated with classic/vintage gear in most people's minds and that's been the focus of their software over the years so this SHOULD be part of any future drum package too imho.

Example: i've recently done the bulk of the programming for two classic old Chaka Kahn tracks, both used live drums, steve ferrone i belive' and a drum machine, DMX on one and LM1 on the other... getting the sounds right and the 'live' drums done in BFD3 was the easy part.... getting the feel of the DMX and the LM1 was the hard part.
I also had to program the parts in the Cubase drum editor as Spark has NO SONG POSITION POINTER!!!!!!!! so what would have taken me about half an hour or so to programme (that's to do both songs as those machines were so easy to programme) took me several hours.

A final, bug fixed version of Spark2 would be much appreciated here too!

PS.... why is this post 'awaiting moderation' when spammers seem to be able to post at will? FFS Arty sort it out!!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:41:32 pm by matjones »

machinesworking

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:05 am »
Would like to know they're still doing Spark as well.
To me anyway, it would be silly to drop it, it's a great counterpoint to DrumBrute, and it has arguably a better interface than the others.

I own a lot of drum controllers: SparkLE, Maschine Studio, Beatstep Pro and Push 2.
Working with a DAW SparkLE is probably the best IMO, if you drag and drop MIDI into said DAW. IMO the song window is sort of a joke though, especially compared to Maschine.
Thing is Maschine is a PITA to use in any DAW, powerful etc. but not at all fast and intuitive. 

Throw us a bone, is Spark 3 coming or what?

Mathieu Pe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:47:57 pm »
Same here. I upgraded from V-collection 4 to 5. then I bought a used CDM controller . It is not fully bullet proof devellopped but at least it works.
Right now I am programming a big techno set and the Standalone app started to misbehave. I get following problems on and off:

- selecting pad 16 mutes Pad 1 !
- loading sample on a pad from the library/instr./ load button occasionally does not work ( drag drop on main screen pad does)
- "file not found" error while saving project.
- Step sequencer leds off untill step plays!

Looks like they abandoned the spark thing.. no updates... no bugfixes...nothing
 :-[

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:41 am »
Hi, I asked the original developer of spark a few months ago, and was told there was no plans then for updates to spark. but i find this strange of arturia just to drop this program. i will ask the team again. I think they must be developing something better.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

machinesworking

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:47 am »
Hi, I asked the original developer of spark a few months ago, and was told there was no plans then for updates to spark. but i find this strange of arturia just to drop this program. i will ask the team again. I think they must be developing something better.
They seem to be doing really well with the hardware, I find it suspicious that they dropped it from V Collection, but I can't see why a nice small form drum controller like SparkLE with software behind it would still do well if updated and plugged as the "digital" version of Drum Brute? i.e. the sample based companion etc.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:01 am »

That is sad and disheartening indeed, and would explain why Arturia refuses to publicly comment on the status of the Spark software.
It also shows, if true, a shady side of Arturia, seeing as they're still selling the SparkLE with with Spark 2 software. If they are discontinuing the product, then why are they still selling it. Perhaps just to get rid of the remaining stock, I suppose. But still, new purchasers are going to expect updates to their newly purchased equipment and software.
I don't check on the iSpark software forum, but is THAT still being updated?

<sigh> so Spark goes the way of the Origin. Sad. Sad and idiotic.
Arturia might make some damn cool products, but they sure are a shitty company.  :-\

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
HEY!  :o
I think there may be some progress to report.
On a Facebook post (well, many posts) by Arturia, I've asked what's up with Spark 2, and pointed out that if they're discontinuing it, then why are they still selling SparkLE with the buggy Spark 2 software.
Well, I just got this response -- however, I don't know how legit it is.
It's from a Frederic Brun, who said:
"Hi, you have a legitimate point. We will run a full analysis of the situation and, minimum, correct bugs. I cannot give any delivery date but Kevin Molcard, our director of software, will gather data and build a plan in the next couple of weeks."

So maybe the squeaky wheel got the grease here? Let's hope so.  ;D

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:06:27 pm »
HEY!  :o
I think there may be some progress to report.
On a Facebook post (well, many posts) by Arturia, I've asked what's up with Spark 2, and pointed out that if they're discontinuing it, then why are they still selling SparkLE with the buggy Spark 2 software.
Well, I just got this response -- however, I don't know how legit it is.
It's from a Frederic Brun, who said:
"Hi, you have a legitimate point. We will run a full analysis of the situation and, minimum, correct bugs. I cannot give any delivery date but Kevin Molcard, our director of software, will gather data and build a plan in the next couple of weeks."

So maybe the squeaky wheel got the grease here? Let's hope so.  ;D

I Think we have all asked now and Arturia are listening
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Dev79

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:21:02 am »
I'm excited for a Spark update... even just bug fixes & tweaks would be great

Omarkum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »
Did they ever update it...

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 05:13:49 am »
Did they ever update it...
The update is released as of today. :D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines