March 29, 2024, 08:33:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia DEMO for Ableton 9.7.2  (Read 3713 times)

Cap Steven

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Arturia DEMO for Ableton 9.7.2
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
Hi Germain.arturia,

Could you provide us a demo about how the Minilab MKII will work with the next version of Ableton (where the MKII is supported at last)?

It would be great to see how the integration works:
- what will be the solution to arm tracks
- to switch between control and drum pad mode (without changing the control surface in the preferences)

Thank you,
D

Basneit

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Arturia DEMO for Ableton 9.7.2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:43:54 am »
And can pls mention a date for the update pls. Its really bad that they have taken a product that does not meet its main characteristics mentioned, could be very badly affected for do that to the clients.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:54:02 pm »
Hi everyone , sorry for the loooong delay.
we just released a new firmware for the minilab mkII (1.0.9.83).
You can get it via our downloads page.

From there, 2 options :

- you wait for the official live 9.7.2 release, which will contain the minilab mkII script
- you join the ableton live beta campaign, a new beta should be out next week, and will contain the script.

Sorry it has been so long to make.
Thanks for your understanding.

best,

Cap Steven

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:09:51 pm »
Thank you for the answer.

Could you confirm the following 2 features and the method they work:
- arming tracks
- switch between drum pad functions: ableton control and playing notes

I brought back the device to the shop, but I would be happy to buy one again if these work.

Thank you

Juanig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:36 am »
Hi, Im on the new beta and have a few things to say:

When you are on mkii's memory slot 1, the remote script works as in the demo.

When you change the memory slot, it becomes super buggy, I submited a bug report:
1. Steps to reproduce: Changing mkii memory (pressing shift+a pad) and changing it back to memory 1

Expected behaviour: I dont have information on how the device should work when using the different memories. It would be nice to have memory 1 as a control surface and memories 2-8 to use mkii as a regular MIDI controller with different configurations on each memory slot.

Observed behaviour: When on a memory slot different than 1, knobs 8 and 16 (which were used to navigate through scenes and tracks) stop working. Pads 1-8 keep working the same way (start/stop clip) and pads 9-16 do nothing).
When changing the memory slot back to 1, knobs 8 and 16 can navigate but in a super buggy way and get inverted. All pads work as they did when on a different memory slot than memory one (i.e. in a wrong way).

2. Yup, Im on latest beta

3. Current versions of Live dont include this new remote script

Also, I submited a suggestion (which I mention on the bug report): to use memory 1 as the control surface and keep using memories 2-8 as they used to work like different presets for the controller

It would be cool to have more info on how the remote script should work.

Anyways, this is a great product, I hope Arturia considers the feedback users give to have the ultimate mini midi controller

Cheers!

Cap Steven

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 05:01:15 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

May I have 2 questions?
If you are on the 2-8 memory, are you able to use the drum pads as notes?
If you switch the track with the know, are the tracks armed automatically? Or is there a way to arm them?

Thank you

Juanig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:00 am »
Im having a problem because now I cant even use the remote script, but the controller is working fine, thats weird, so for the moment I cant test it. But to answer your questions:
On memory 2-8 , pads 1-8 launch/stop clips and 9-16 dont work at all. I supose thats something they should fix
I cant remember exactly but I think the tracks wouldnt arm automatically and I couldnt figure a way to arm them. Thats another thing that would be super useful to have.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:37 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you're all fine.

To answer to your questions , here are some words about how does the minilab mkII midi remote script works with ableton Live.

remember you have to update your minilab mkII to fw 1.0.9.83 , available here : https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manualsor directly in your midi control center.

you also have to be on Live 9.7.2 beta, which supports the minilab mkII . Official live 9.7.2 release is scheduled to be released somewhere in april.
For users who were complaining of the non- support of the script on live 9.6 versions, there should not be a problem to update their Live to current version, or join the ableton beta campaign.

so how does it work ?
Live writes the script inside minilab mkII memory 8 only, at the opening of Live or once your minilab mkII is set to control Live. The process is very fast, around 4 seconds.
Please note that if you stored something else inside memory 8, Live will overwrite this memory on each live opening.

Once set up in live preferences as a control surface ( Control surface : minilab mkII / Input and output : Arturia MiniLab mkII and in midi ports : minilab mkII input and output  track and remote on)
Quit prefs, switch on memory 8 ( with shift + pad 8) and you're ready to go !

now on memory 8 :
knob 8 will make you scroll live left / right
knob 16 will make you scroll up/down
knobs 1 to 4, and 9 to 12 will be linked to live device parameters
knobs 5-6 will make you control selected track send A/B
knob 13 will make you control selected track panning
knob 14 will make you control selected track output level
knobs 7 and 15 will make you control  Return A and B level

And what about pads?

Still on memory 8 , PAD 1 to 8 will make you control clips from 1 to 8

and how can i control clips?

Once your track is armed (can be done manually or automatically if you insert a virtual instrument in it) simply browse to the desired scene using minilab mkII knobs 8 and 16. Once Live cursor is placed on the right location, simply press the corresponding pad on your minilab mkII. As an example , midi track 1 is armed , Live cursor is well placed, if you press pad 1 , recording will start and your pad will light up red.
If you press pad 1 again, clip recording will stop, then start playing , and your pad will light up green.
After the insertion of a Virtual instrument , you can also do a double mouse-click on the desired clip location to edit all it’s settings, writing midi notes. Corresponding pad of your minilab mkII will light up yellow.
(please refer to Ableton Live manual, to learn more about midi clips settings)
Once your clip and notes are set, press the yellow pad on your minilab mkII, your clip will start and your pad will light up green. Once the clip is stopped, pad’s color will switch back to yellow.
Stopping your clip will depend of your clip settings, but you can’t stop it using pads of your minilab mkII by default. Please remember that Live transport buttons can be midi mapped to any pad of your minilab mkII

How can i control my virtual synth without interfering with Live controls?

No need to worry about that ! Insert your favorite synth to any track, switch on minilab mkII any memory between 2 and 7 (remember Memory 1 is reserved for controlling analog lab only). Once switched to the desired memory, you will control and map your synth parameters. If you want to get back on Live controls, simply switch back to memory 8.

Is there anyway to do some finger drumming with minilab mkII pads?

Sure ! Just load a drum rack on the desired track, switch on any minilab mkII memory between 2 and 7. You can then use pads 1 to 8 to create beats.
Again , if you want to switch back to live controls, simply switch to memory 8 on your minilab mkII

Hope to have answered to your questions,
feel free to come back to me if needed, sorry if i can't be as reactive as i would.

best,

Juanig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:45:25 am »
Hi everyone, hope you're all fine.

To answer to your questions , here are some words about how does the minilab mkII midi remote script works with ableton Live.

remember you have to update your minilab mkII to fw 1.0.9.83 , available here : https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manualsor directly in your midi control center.

you also have to be on Live 9.7.2 beta, which supports the minilab mkII . Official live 9.7.2 release is scheduled to be released somewhere in april.
For users who were complaining of the non- support of the script on live 9.6 versions, there should not be a problem to update their Live to current version, or join the ableton beta campaign.

so how does it work ?
Live writes the script inside minilab mkII memory 8 only, at the opening of Live or once your minilab mkII is set to control Live. The process is very fast, around 4 seconds.
Please note that if you stored something else inside memory 8, Live will overwrite this memory on each live opening.

Once set up in live preferences as a control surface ( Control surface : minilab mkII / Input and output : Arturia MiniLab mkII and in midi ports : minilab mkII input and output  track and remote on)
Quit prefs, switch on memory 8 ( with shift + pad 8) and you're ready to go !

now on memory 8 :
knob 8 will make you scroll live left / right
knob 16 will make you scroll up/down
knobs 1 to 4, and 9 to 12 will be linked to live device parameters
knobs 5-6 will make you control selected track send A/B
knob 13 will make you control selected track panning
knob 14 will make you control selected track output level
knobs 7 and 15 will make you control  Return A and B level

And what about pads?

Still on memory 8 , PAD 1 to 8 will make you control clips from 1 to 8

and how can i control clips?

Once your track is armed (can be done manually or automatically if you insert a virtual instrument in it) simply browse to the desired scene using minilab mkII knobs 8 and 16. Once Live cursor is placed on the right location, simply press the corresponding pad on your minilab mkII. As an example , midi track 1 is armed , Live cursor is well placed, if you press pad 1 , recording will start and your pad will light up red.
If you press pad 1 again, clip recording will stop, then start playing , and your pad will light up green.
After the insertion of a Virtual instrument , you can also do a double mouse-click on the desired clip location to edit all it’s settings, writing midi notes. Corresponding pad of your minilab mkII will light up yellow.
(please refer to Ableton Live manual, to learn more about midi clips settings)
Once your clip and notes are set, press the yellow pad on your minilab mkII, your clip will start and your pad will light up green. Once the clip is stopped, pad’s color will switch back to yellow.
Stopping your clip will depend of your clip settings, but you can’t stop it using pads of your minilab mkII by default. Please remember that Live transport buttons can be midi mapped to any pad of your minilab mkII

How can i control my virtual synth without interfering with Live controls?

No need to worry about that ! Insert your favorite synth to any track, switch on minilab mkII any memory between 2 and 7 (remember Memory 1 is reserved for controlling analog lab only). Once switched to the desired memory, you will control and map your synth parameters. If you want to get back on Live controls, simply switch back to memory 8.

Is there anyway to do some finger drumming with minilab mkII pads?

Sure ! Just load a drum rack on the desired track, switch on any minilab mkII memory between 2 and 7. You can then use pads 1 to 8 to create beats.
Again , if you want to switch back to live controls, simply switch to memory 8 on your minilab mkII

Hope to have answered to your questions,
feel free to come back to me if needed, sorry if i can't be as reactive as i would.

best,

Thank you a lot! that reply was really needed and satisfies our desires to control and fingerdrum :D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines