March 28, 2024, 09:29:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transport START/STOP without starting Sequencer/ARP  (Read 6471 times)

ranzee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Transport START/STOP without starting Sequencer/ARP
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:56:34 am »
Hi guys,

As you may know, I'm a big fan of the Keystep - it gets used in a lot of my day-to-day config. One feature I'd expect would be fairly easy to implement is to start the transport without triggering the Sequencer or Arpeggiator. Perhaps SHIFT+Play ??

This would be handy so that I can start other gear that is connected via MIDI/CV and just use the keyboard without playing sequencers or ARPs.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Ranzee

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Transport START/STOP without starting Sequencer/ARP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:55:58 am »
If you set the Keystep to arpeggio mode then hit start but without playing any keys, it'll send the start data but no note data.  Now if you change it to sequencer mode while the arpeggio is silent running, it'll start the sequence selected, but unless you get your timing right it'll be out of time.  If you stay in arpeggio mode and play a chord, again timing is important, but it'll be easier to get your arpeggio in time.
There is a guy going by the name of Touchprone on eBay who is selling MIDI start/stop triggers that you can put into your MIDI chain after the Keystep that will allow you to send start/stop data without starting the Keystep, though you will need some sort of MIDI timeclock generator to feed it timing data as the Keystep doesn't send timing data when stopped.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

ranzee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:26 am »
Thank for the info megamarkd :)

I was aware of the workarounds. I think it is important for Arturia to read these feature requests - as some of them are quite easy to implement. A MIDI controller that has an ARP and Sequencer - should also have a mode that allows the player to not use them.

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:48:23 pm »
I completely agree. I've also noticed that the MIDI clock is not present when the arpeggiator or sequencer is not playing. I use a few effects in my signal path that rely on the presence of a MIDI clock. I thought this was a bummer that I couldn't change some option in the software to have the Keystep act as a master clock.   

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:27:42 am »
I too rely on MIDI timing clock to sync most stuff.  I'm running my Arturia sequencers in slave mode, with an external clock as master.  I've not noticed the Keystep clock audibly jittering, but the BSP is all over the shop, so I'd rather not use them as master clock sources.  I've amassed a good amount of devices with stable enough clocks to use one as a master, but then my MIDI network has splitting and merging to create parallel routes so to ensure the timing code isn't brickwalled by certain devices (like the Arturia sequencers when not running).
To have MIDI timing being send 100% of the time would make life so much easier (even though it's fun to sit down and draw flowcharts containing 20+ nodes without any connections crossing over).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

redon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
I too rely on MIDI timing clock to sync most stuff.  I'm running my Arturia sequencers in slave mode, with an external clock as master.  I've not noticed the Keystep clock audibly jittering, but the BSP is all over the shop, so I'd rather not use them as master clock sources.  I've amassed a good amount of devices with stable enough clocks to use one as a master, but then my MIDI network has splitting and merging to create parallel routes so to ensure the timing code isn't brickwalled by certain devices (like the Arturia sequencers when not running).
To have MIDI timing being send 100% of the time would make life so much easier (even though it's fun to sit down and draw flowcharts containing 20+ nodes without any connections crossing over).
i use uconnect midi for filtering out any feedback of realtime messages, and let only the clock of my chosen master device reach anything, so no cascades, but just a midi hub with radial connections.
try that way
still asking for the clock start stop anyways

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 12:52:36 am »
The BSP has tightened-up with the latest firmware and I haven't noticed much jitter with the Keystep since I reverted to the previous firmware (to solve the stop/reset bug).  I don't use computers as such with my music, especially for MIDI preferring to use hardware MIDI routers and switches to do all that work.  My iConnectivity MIO4 is a very powerful filtering section that I can use to avoid clock doubling and whatnot.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
Another +1 for the option to have the record, stop and play/pause buttons optionally repurposed by the user to work said same controls in a DAW or an attached hardware sequencer, instead of triggering internal patterns. But as usual I expect our requests will be ignored, or tagged into a firmware update that will be distributed to users circa 2036.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fenin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:09:22 pm »
distributed to users circa 2036.

;D
keep on dubbin

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines