April 16, 2024, 07:04:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Aftertouch  (Read 6156 times)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Aftertouch
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:17:42 pm »
There doesn't seem to be a 'feature request' section for hardware, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Can I be upfront and say that I was very disappointed to find there still isn't any aftertouch on the MiniLab, even in MkII version, especially as various reviews say it uses what is essentially a shortened version of the KeyStep's keybed, which does have aftertouch.

Even disregarding non-Arturia VSTs, so many of the V Collection and Analog Lab presets only come alive with aftertouch. People who buy the MiniLab get the Analog Lab as part of the bundle yet their keyboard doesn't allow them to hear its potential.

To get me a portable-sized USB controller with aftertouch I've had to drop 100GBP on a KeyStep, which is full of features I'll never use (such as the legacy ports, arp and sequencer) and omits many features I would have liked, such as the MiniLab's rotary controllers and pads.
Missed opportunity IMO.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:19:33 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Marilllion

Re: Aftertouch
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »
I am totally not an expert on MIDI, but would it be possible to assign aftertouch to the sustain pedal? I am planning to get a Minilab MkII, but the lack of aftertouch is also bothering me...

(it may not be possible as key pressure, but maybe as channel pressure?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:49:42 pm by Marilllion »

LBH

Re: Aftertouch
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:57:21 pm »
This is to be read on the product page: "2 banks of 8 high quality velocity & pressure sensitive pads".
I don't know, but could it be possible that this can be used to add channel aftertouch by using the pads as aftertouch controls?
Just a thought if it could help with this unfortunately missing aftertouch.
I guess the missing aftertouch on the keys is a price matter. Perhaps Arturia could make a more exspensive version with aftertouch.

Expression pedals can be assigned to parameters like all controls can. But they can't be assigned to the Aftertouch function as such. Aftertouch don't have a MIDI CC number so for example a expression pedal can't directly take the place of aftertouch - afaik.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines