April 26, 2024, 06:00:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Help! Strange factory mode or hardware problem?  (Read 1507 times)

fbunn

Help! Strange factory mode or hardware problem?
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:15:19 pm »
Hi, guys

I just picked up a Keystep from Ebay.
The lower keys work properly, but the white keys starting with the 'A' second octave and ending with the 'E' above it behave strangely.

Most of them play a 'chord' like they were in chord mode (even though it's not).  The 'E' key lowers by several octaves and lights up the 'HOLD' button.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Hard reset [Press both OCT-OCT] on startup
2. Loading the latest firmware
3. Downgrading the firmware
4. Loading the latest firmware again.

I was able to get one key to work properly by re-programming it in 'chord' mode (the middle A)
I was hoping I could fix the others similarly, but no dice.

Is there some deeper reset I can perform aside from the [Oct-/Oct+] on startup?

Otherwise, is there something I can do from the Midi Control Center app?

I really, really like this Keystep. Hopefully I can get it working like it's supposed to!

It's the perfect combination of size, feel, and features. 

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Apparently, it has something to do with velocity sensing on those keys.
Here's a MIDI capture of the middle 'A' and 'E' keys, plus the 'E' 'key down' event when pressed VERY SLOWLY.
Note the velocity is MAXED out. The last photo is of one of the keys pressed VERY slowly. Even then, it has ghost keypresses and MAX velocity.  Is there something mechanical I could try cleaning?

How does the Arturia keybed deduce the keypress velocity? Is it something that could be examined for physical damage or would it be more electronic (like cold solder joints, etc...)

-Fred
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:58:52 am by fbunn »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines