March 28, 2024, 08:40:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: bach problem  (Read 2137 times)

DJsportsball

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
bach problem
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:15:41 pm »
discovered importing midi files of bach into ableton! HOWEVER- the file instantly changes my mini v patch to angst every time i play it! it doesn't change the patch on other company's vsts. any idea how to stop it?

corum_beasley

Re: bach problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:35:17 pm »
HI DJsportsball, does the file you are using have the sound of an harpsichord?  The general midi for harpsichord is 7.

What i have found is that when i use a patch from another program that used a patch number that corresponded to a number in a playlist, then that playlist preset will be played.
Unfortunately since i noticed this i have not been able to find a workaround for it myself.

I looked up the playlist number 7 in Mini V,which is angst and the general midi for that number, which is 7 and harpsichord.
All i can do is reassure you that i have suffered (lol) this problem and though i have yet to raise a ticket with Arturia about this i suggest you do. I tried to create another playlist and put the desired preset in a different place then it would still default to the Arturia playlist, which i cannot delete

All the best

LBH

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »
I guess it's about the following.
The midi file must have ProgramChange informations. Find them and delete them or change them.
ProgramChange is normal for MIDI files. If they don't affect other plug-ins, then i guess it's because the plug-ins don't accept ProgramChange info - at least not in current state.
A programChange number refere to a sound on that number. In generel MIDI it's mostly the same sound or one that's similar. But in synth applications it's about what sound that is on that place. That can be anything depending on how things is set up.
I suggest you study ProgramChange. ALso how it' can be used in Arturias applications.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:48:06 pm by LBH »

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:12:16 pm »
Hey !

You are all right about the source of the issue.

In Ableton it is pretty simple, simply double click on your MIDI clip and on the bottom of the screen, make sure nothing is written after "Bank" "Sub" and "Pgm".

If you find any numbers in there, you can remove them by holding and dragging down with your mouse. Otherwise, it will send a program change each time you play the clip.

I attached a screenshot to show which part I am talking about.

If this part is not displayed at first when you double click on the Midi Clip, then click on the tiny little notes icon just next to the "E" letter.

Hope it helps :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines