March 28, 2024, 08:49:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Frankenstein sound Edgar Winter  (Read 5644 times)

jackn2mpu

Frankenstein sound Edgar Winter
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:49 pm »
Just bit the bullet and purchased the VC5 upgrade at an insane price. I've had the demo s/w for a while but other than the Synclavier I've not delved into the other synths with any great enthusiasm. Until now. What I'm looking for is the Frankenstein Edgar Winter sound that was in the previous ARP2600 preset list. I know the names have changed but I can't seem to find this particular sound. Can some kind soul point me in the right direction? Or is this one of those I have to import from the older Arp2600 implementation?
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

Re: Frankenstein sound Edgar Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »
Or is this one of those I have to import from the older Arp2600 implementation?
I think so.
I don't think the V2 Patchbook bank has been converted for V3 usage.

corum_beasley

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:21:46 am »
HI im not aware of any presets but i found this in the original ARP2600 patch book if its of any use to you.

I have also been putting together a list of things i find related to the original synth in this thread http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=89554.0

jackn2mpu

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
Or is this one of those I have to import from the older Arp2600 implementation?
I think so.
I don't think the V2 Patchbook bank has been converted for V3 usage.
That's unfortunate as I thought Arturia had ported over all the old patches to the new synth versions with just the name change deleting the initials of the patch creators. The patch converter, at least when I ran it yesterday, didn't pick up some of the patches I made in other synths and also saw several others eligible for conversion that I never did. Weird.

This is going to make it crazy not only for the 2600 but other emulations trying to figure out what got brought over and what didn't given the name change I cited above. Has anybody in this community put together a list that shows what the old patch name was and what it's new version is? I'd be willing to kick in a fee for that alone.- to the kind and courageous soul who would tackle or has tackled that.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

corum_beasley

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 01:17:17 pm »
Hi, I had forgotten i had ARP2600v2 and was just looking through the patchbook C area and found * 72_Edgar.WinterFkst.

I had not heard the track before and went looking for the original album recording on youtube. There is a great live version on the old grey whistle test upload and i was confused until i heard the album version as to which part of the track the patchbook related to.

I have tried to get a bit closer, well at least to my ears to the album section in ARP2600v3, what you think? Its a start for an experiment at least.  All the best

PatAzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.patazzarello.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:11:43 am »
Thanks.

When I try to import the patch into the 2600 V3, it doesn't seem to open . I thought in older versions there was a different method for opening up patches (Open instead of Import).

What am I doing wrong?

PatAzz

jackn2mpu

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:51 pm »
Thanks.

When I try to import the patch into the 2600 V3, it doesn't seem to open . I thought in older versions there was a different method for opening up patches (Open instead of Import).

What am I doing wrong?

PatAzz
You can't directly import patches into the new VCollection 5 synths. Arturia has a patch converter to help with that job. First you convert & then import as I understand it.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

corum_beasley

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 03:43:46 pm »
Thanks.

What am I doing wrong?

PatAzz

Hi PatAzz, I created the patch in the latest version of the ARP2600v3 Build 3.0.4.1141. I exported it from there to the desktop and re imported it and it works fine. I'm sorry i have no idea why the patch doesn't work? Have you tried importing into the standalone and the plugin?

Have you checked you have the preset? When i import it it creates a new bank called patchbook, which is where the patch was located within the preset browser.

Hi jackn2mpu did this work for you? Was kinda hoping you'd drop by and it was maybe something like what you were after?

This is the first time i have tried to share a preset. If nothing i have said helps then lets hope LBH pops by for a visit..he is a great help at solving things.

All the best
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:40:40 pm by corum_beasley »

LBH

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »
Well - I'll try to do my best.

Be careful not to mix things together.

Importing a preset is'nt the same as selecting a preset.
A import make a preset availble to be selected. That's the same for both for all versions.
Note you can't import a V4 collection preset into a V5 collection application or the other way around.

I have'nt downloaded corum_beasley's preset. But if it use the .ARPX extention as it looks like, then it's a ARP 2600 V3 file. That's what corum_beasley also tell. So the preset should be importable into the V3 application but not in older applications.
Please remember, that a imported preset is'nt selected when you import. As corum_beasley tell, then it's saved with t bank attribute "patchbook". So the preset will be located in that bank, and can also just be found by the preset name in the preset browser.
Can't you import corum_beasleys preset and find it in your preset browser afterwards as explained above?

---------

When converting a preset from before V-collection 5 - in this case from V2 to V3, then you don't need to import anything into V3. But you need the preset to be created in or imported into the V4-vollection application to be able to convert it to the V5-collection application using the preset converter that can be downloaded from here: https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals
You can only convert user saved presets from V4-collection. That's presets you save yourself using "save" or "save as", or import.
There are many posts in the different forums about this.
Also FAQ's about this are answered here: https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/preset-converter-general-questions

You can't convert V5-colletion application presets to older applications.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:14:57 pm by LBH »

PatAzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.patazzarello.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:38:22 pm »
Alright - It did import into a new Patch Book bank (and again into a Patch Book_1 when I did it the second time, which makes sense).

I'll let you know how it works out. My new band (Jazz Trio, wouldn't have guessed the tune would be used in that) is working up the tune. Played it years ago with a horn band with rousing success and programmed the patch on  a Yamaha synth.

Thanks -
Pat

gregwalton42

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:33:38 pm »
There is à preset called "Frankie" but it only sounds vaguely like it, I find..

To my ears is sounds like the filter self-resonating, with a bit of white noise at its input, while being swept down using the ADSR plus some sawtooth LFO.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:12:48 am »
There is à preset called "Frankie" but it only sounds vaguely like it, I find..

To my ears is sounds like the filter self-resonating, with a bit of white noise at its input, while being swept down using the ADSR plus some sawtooth LFO.
Are you talking about a preset in the new 2600?
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:18 am »
Frankie is a preset in V3, but it's not the Frankenstein preset from V2. They don't sound the same.

aaron aardvark

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 07:06:10 am »
Thank you for the patch.  "Frankenstein" is one of my all time favorites: the song still sounds great, and really put synths on the map for me in the early 70's.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines