March 29, 2024, 07:51:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Disable quantisation of VCOs  (Read 3440 times)

corum_beasley

Disable quantisation of VCOs
« on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:19 pm »
HI. It would be nice to be able to disable the quantisation on the VCOs so the option would be there to make it more like the original even though it is great to have the quantisation. All the best

LBH

Re: Disable quantisation of VCOs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:17:41 pm »
would you mind to explain what VCO quantisation you are talking about, to help me understand your feature request?
What can the Original ARP do?

corum_beasley

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
The original as far as i understand it had a continuous frequency sweep much like an audio oscillator one might have as test gear. This would permit a whole range of frequencies to be available, not just those frequencies / notes that lie within the chromatic scale. I know this would have made life difficult for musicians to keep in tune quickly and effectively with the original and the quantisation we have now is vital and very welcome. Its just im more of an atonal, soundtrack from the forbidden planet type of guy and would hope it would open up a few more possibilities for weird sounds especially with the ring modulator for example. Thanks for the interest.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »
Can't you do that using the fine tune and/ or put a modulator to the oscilator?
Modulators like envelopes, the “Tracking” generator with Smooth option, LFO, Voltage Generator and it's Lag option, other OSCs outputs and the sequencer unquantified outputs can be used.
I would believe so.

Are you sure you remember correct about the originals in this matter?

BTW. I think that many things is possible in ARP 2600 V3, that's possible in the originals. But sometimes one might have to use the possiblities Arturia offer,

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:11:18 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:57:34 am »
I have checked. The originals was hard to tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_502315&feature=iv&src_vid=iZB-zSzCVvk&v=Q_g9IDqNNBg
I would say you can get the same result as Arturias version is now. For example using the “Tracking” generator with a line set to a constant position, and then plucked into a OSC's FM input. Then you can use the FM inputs slider to work just like the original Initial Tuning slider.

But you also have Pitch bend and other options depending on what you wan't to be able to do.

That said, then it's okay for me to have a selector to switch of semitones steps for Arturias Initial frequency sliders, so it's optional to use the original behavior or the semitone step behavior. But i'd like to keep the semitone steps option please. It's much better to have when needing different semitone tunings.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:04:44 am by LBH »

corum_beasley

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 05:46:06 pm »
Hi LBH, you always give very thorough replies!

Yes it is clear from the video that these instruments were difficult to tune. Its just i would like to sweep them simply like the original did with our ARP 2600v.

I tried your suggestions and they worked quite well and have got some really cool sounds. To be honest i have stayed clear of the tracking generator as i have a lot to learn about these synths. I have only had it for about 3 months and have been working my way round all the other features and have only recently got to feel like i understand the voltage processor, So im way behind in many respects and certainly from you and many others who post regularly.

Of course i wouldn't dream of taking away your semitones lol. Its just i have been working my way through the patch book and they are always saying press middle C and tune the oscillator to it etc and im never quite sure if i have done it right as they often don't sound anything like their titles lol. Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:27 pm »
Hi corum_beasley,

Thanks for your contributions in the forums.

The "Tracking" Generator is great. It could be easier to make the waveforms, but still great.
Don't forget you for example can use it as a source for S+H inputs too. In the S+H generator instead of using noise. In the LFO to provide alternative waveforms.

And also you can use it to modulate the Voltage processor and many other things.

There are many possiblities to connect things in ARP 2600 V3.
I also have many things to learn. ARP 2600 is'nt the most simple synths.Also Arturia manuals could be much better and precise. Many things is'nt even mentioned. The original manuals can sometimes help yes.

Cheers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines