March 28, 2024, 10:32:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Feature request regarding harmonics and partials.  (Read 7051 times)

LBH

Feature request regarding harmonics and partials.
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »
In Synclavier V it's now possible to choose the few preset harmonics settings sine, saw, square and triangle for both carrier and modulator.

I suggest to create a sort of wavetable with many more preset harmonics waveforms/ settings.

Also i suggest a function to import the full partials settings in use from other presets or something like that.

EDIT: It would be great if it also was possible to save and load user harmonic waveforms. EDIT END
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:42:30 pm by LBH »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: Feature request regarding harmonics and partials.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:00 am »
In Synclavier V it's now possible to choose the few preset harmonics settings sine, saw, square and triangle for both carrier and modulator.
I suggest to create a sort of wavetable with many more preset harmonics waveforms/ settings.

With this you would be almost veering into the territory of using sampled and/or re-synthesized waveforms.

There is an extensive library of original Synclavier presets in Synclavier V (included complex re-synthesized waveforms!), and if you really want to go bananas, come over here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TimbreShare/

Cameron Jones on May 31, 2016 posted an insane library of original Synclavier II timbres, to freely download and import into your SyncV....

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:03:15 am »
Also i suggest a function to import the full partials settings in use from other presets or something like that.

EDIT: It would be great if it also was possible to save and load user harmonic waveforms. EDIT END

If I understand your request correctly, these two features are already included in Synclavier V (although they might not be detailed in the manual, yet)

You can copy and paste entire partials, with all settings/timbres, both in the expanded keyboard view, and from the "screen" view.

In the screen->Time Slices view you can copy/paste whatever harmonic waveform you have created...across partials (not just in the partial you are in at the time)

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:51:35 pm »
With this you would be almost veering into the territory of using sampled and/or re-synthesized waveforms.

There is an extensive library of original Synclavier presets in Synclavier V (included complex re-synthesized waveforms!), and if you really want to go bananas, come over here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TimbreShare/

Cameron Jones on May 31, 2016 posted an insane library of original Synclavier II timbres, to freely download and import into your SyncV....

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes you are right. I think this could be a easy way of getting at least some of the original sample features, without having to use samples and to save diskspace.
Unless there are much more to the sample resynthesis, then perhaps the sampling feature is'nt needed, if this features was implementet. Otherwise i would still find my request a nice addition.

Also i think it can be a great fast way to start own wavrforms and to learn or get more felling about harmonics.

If I understand your request correctly, these two features are already included in Synclavier V (although they might not be detailed in the manual, yet)

You can copy and paste entire partials, with all settings/timbres, both in the expanded keyboard view, and from the "screen" view.

In the screen->Time Slices view you can copy/paste whatever harmonic waveform you have created...across partials (not just in the partial you are in at the time)

I'm not on facebook, and for various reasons i don't intend to. But those original presets are posted in a dropbox link in this thread. http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87691.0
I still wan't my feature i request though.

Yes i know i can copy and paste within a preset and even between presets inside one open application/ instance thanks. But i can't do it between applications/ instances. (At least not the last time i tried.)
Even though i think my feature request will be more efficient, if you can use import to do this, so you within a application don't have to first save the preset you work on, then find a partial to copy from another preset, the return to the preset you work on and paste.
Or you don't have to shift between applications to copy - if this was even possible.

I think my feature requests can benefit the workflow beside the possibilities, the understanding and the creative process.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »
I agree with your feature requests LBH.

To me, complex waveforms only become really interesting in the Synclavier when you have several frames of them, like you do with the resynthesized sounds.

I would be ecstatic if Arturia included a resynthesis feature that would allow the user to load any sound file, and resynthesize it into (however many) frames in the Sycnlavier V. Wouldn't that be amazing??  :o

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 12:26:26 am »
I agree with your feature requests LBH.

To me, complex waveforms only become really interesting in the Synclavier when you have several frames of them, like you do with the resynthesized sounds.

I would be ecstatic if Arturia included a resynthesis feature that would allow the user to load any sound file, and resynthesize it into (however many) frames in the Sycnlavier V. Wouldn't that be amazing??  :o

Using multiple Partials and/ or Time slices can definetely make sounds much more interesting.
No doubt you have more exsperience and skills than i have in sound programming.

I don't need Synclavier V to be a sampler. But if Synclavier V by being able to import soundfiles could do something like for example Tone2 Icarus can, then i would like that feature too, as that in a way also make more pitched/ adapted waveforms availble fast and easy, just like my request about more pre-created harmonics do.
But will it be exspensive to add the sound file feature?

Here is a link for Icarus re-synthesis:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/QXNa70ea_iQ?autoplay=1&rel=0&autohide=1&showinfo=0&origin=www.tone2.com&vq=hd1080&showsearch=0

If Synclavier V was able to split a soundfile into multiple of differnt waveforms and put them into multiple time slices, then i would like that too.
I'm not sure i yet fully have understood what the original Synclavier did.
Can you explain?

BTW. I also would like a menu of preset envelopes.
Also i would like to be able to save all my own user envelopes, to be used quickly in all sounds where i wan't.

EDIT: I would also like to be able to loop between to user selected Time slices. Is that allready possible? If so how? EDIT END

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:28:55 am by LBH »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:34 am »

If Synclavier V was able to split a soundfile into multiple of differnt waveforms and put them into multiple time slices, then i would like that too.

Yes this is exactly what I was talking about. This is what I am calling "resynthesis".

I believe the original Synclavier II was able to do this. I am hoping the fruitful collaboration between genius Cameron Jones and Arturia will continue, so we can get the original Synclavier resynthesis code into Synclavier V as well.

(I'm sure you know by now, that Synclavier V isn't just an "emulation" - it is the original Synclavier software.)

LBH

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:40:35 am »

Yes this is exactly what I was talking about. This is what I am calling "resynthesis".

I believe the original Synclavier II was able to do this. I am hoping the fruitful collaboration between genius Cameron Jones and Arturia will continue, so we can get the original Synclavier resynthesis code into Synclavier V as well.
Okay. That i had'nt understood before. If so, then i absolutely wan't that soundfile import feature. Then i can see quite some benefits. Thanks.

I have noticed some presets do have a Time Slice Loop. But i can't see how it's done. Do you know how?
(I'm sure you know by now, that Synclavier V isn't just an "emulation" - it is the original Synclavier software.)
No i did'nt know. I knew they worked together on Synclavier V. Thanks for the information.
But after i began to think about the Time Slice loops, then i thought that there was something hidden, and began to think if that had something to do with resynthesis and a loop of a sample or something like that. I find it confusing there are Time Slice loops, but you can't create the loops yourself unless you change a excisting factory preset. Unless off coarse if it is possible to set the loops somehow from the init.
The fact there are presets having Time slice loops, then the loop possibility should be present  to use allready.  And apparantly the function is under the hood. That  can be because some original software is beneath i guess. So if it's not possible to set the loop now, then perhaps it can't be that difficult to implement.
I guess the factory presets with Time slice loops is build from some original hardware Synclavier resyntheis sounds.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:44:07 am by LBH »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 11:52:02 pm »
I have noticed some presets do have a Time Slice Loop. But i can't see how it's done. Do you know how?

As far as I know, no looping is possible yet with time slices. Do you have an example preset where you think this is used?

Probably what sounds like a loop to you, is either a repeated set of slices (as I believe each Partial allows up to 256 time slices, with each time slice having its own duration/fadetime, mod amount, etc.), or it could be a slice with a very long Fade Time.

LBH

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 05:58:13 am »
As far as I know, no looping is possible yet with time slices. Do you have an example preset where you think this is used?

Probably what sounds like a loop to you, is either a repeated set of slices (as I believe each Partial allows up to 256 time slices, with each time slice having its own duration/fadetime, mod amount, etc.), or it could be a slice with a very long Fade Time.

Thanks. Then i would like that slices loop feature.

The loop i talk about is'nt Repeat/ Arpeggio as i no i checked, and it's not the LFO. And the sounds are only one partial. Only Partial 1 is used, and have volume in the mixer.
You can see in the time slice animation that the slices is looped as the animation repeat only some slices over and over again.

I can't find factory sounds that are looped now without they use the Repeat/ Arpeggio. I do believe i checked before i wrote about it. Perhaps i remembered wrong. Sorry.

However - i guess you have the resynth libraries.
If you take preset
"4183 - Gypsy Violin" or
"4365 - Sweet Gypsy V" or
"4414 - Arco Bass"
"4415 - Leagato Str. Cello"
then only some of the last time slices are looping when you hold a note down. You can also hear it.

A preset like "4288 - Speciel Eff. 12'" seems to loop all the slices.

Off coarse i can't tell if there is something wrong with some of those presets. But they are looping slices.
If you change harmonic for the looped slices (Not the last), then you can hear it clearly, that the slices actually are looping.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:06:03 am by LBH »

john_young

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 04:59:07 pm »
Absolutely. It would be fantastic to be able to create Frames/Slices from samples - just like on a real Sync. The interface was a little kludgy and results were sometimes hit or miss... yet still, it would be amazing in SyncV.  Short of that, I'd love to see some ability to import our own original Sync Timbres (reynth-ed and all) over to SyncV. Apparently Arturia and Cameron built a tool that they used to convert old libraries but it hasn't been made available (yet) to us mortals.

Frame/Slice Looping is also a really necessary feature - which is on the original Sync and I believe was spec'd to be in SyncV - but never made it for some mysterious reason. Same with Fine Tuning on individual Frames/Slices - that feature never made it into the end product. It's silly that Frames/Slices can only be adjusted in semi-tones - c'mon, give us a modifier key to tune Frames in fractions (the code is already there, right?).

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines