April 25, 2024, 06:24:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How will your MB fit into your rig?  (Read 6796 times)

DrAKS

• TD wannabe
How will your MB fit into your rig?
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:03 pm »
It would really interesting to hear from Arturians about their rigs

My MB will go in with a Moog Sub 37, it will feed into two modded enslaved Small Stone phasers , a very noisey original  Alesis MidiVerb and an Analogue Front line delay pedal( Panasonic bucket brigade chips)

I am disappointed with my mooger Fooger phaser but I will give it a go.

A Korg Radias will beef up the sound.

A Microwave XT , an ancient but pristine DX7, an MC202 , Korg Poly 800 , an S900 (12 bit) and an S5000 (16 bit) AND my most favourite drum machine, the epic TR 707 will help the beat ( stupendous snare with great flam sound) (ps why is the 7x7  snare upgrade on the T-8 nothing like the original?)

All will feed an Aphex Aural exciter going  into KRK R5s with sub woofer

Any  reasonably priced suggestions to improve this set up?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: How will your MB fit into your rig?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:32:28 pm »
^ Sounds good! The only thing I could think of suggesting is swapping out that MoogerFooger Phaser you're not happy with for some other hot new (modulation) FX?

I'm in the process of optimizing my rig. That is to say, select a few pieces of gear that I will focus on - in my "old" age I realize that too many synths is distracting for me, so I'll have to put some aside and sell some.

The selected synths are the Q (about to get a tilting panel mod!), Sub 37, Origin and MatrixBrute (I'll have a heart attack when that SHIPPING! e-mail arrives... any minute now...). I'd also like to add a Spark LE to that.

A TimeLine, BigSky, SoundArt Chameleon and Axoloti for FX through a small mixer completes this "sub rig". There's also my guitars and associated gear on the side. Some other bits and bobs may creep into it... The DAW is a Laptop with Cubase + MOTU Ultralight and the monitors are JBL LSR2328P + a Hi-fi setup.

The plan is that the MB will be a nice complement to the S37 with the Q and Origin doing poly/multi duties, all with nice knobby interfaces and syncable sequencers.

DrAKS

• TD wannabe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:58 am »
Stuff I have not heard of Dr Justice, I'll need to look it all up,

I have failed to get much out of the Big Sky when demoed in shops, stopped me buying it , what are your thoughts on it ?

I have the Zoom Multi effect too but haven't really found the patch I like

lensflare

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • https://soundcloud.com/lensflare-564296261
    • Lensflare Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:07:41 pm »
Here I have:

Novation Supernova 2 (for sale, it's redundant now...)

- Access Virus TI2 Rack version with Alesis master keyboard
  lap steel guitar (feeded into the Virus)
- Creamware MINIMAX ASB (Minimoog Clone) with custom wood master keyboard
  Doepfer Dark Time sequencer (to be used with the Mini ASB)
- Matrixbrute (waiting for....)
- Korg Kaossilator Pro+

everything goes in a Behringer Xenix mixer directed to an AKAI EIE PRO device.
it connectes a Lenovo i7 dedicated to Ableton and tons of VSTs, dirven by a NOVATION REMOTE midi workstation...

still waiting for a multFX to be inserted in the MB... Arturia in a video use the Alesis INEKO... do someone knows something similar?

www.lensflare.it
 "Our Planet - Gaia, Mother Earth - is a Living being and all life forms are her offspring"

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:32:09 pm »
I'll be including my MB in a setup consisting of (takes deep breath...):

Arturia KeyLab 88  controller keyboard
M-Audio M-Track 2X2M USB Audio interface
Ants! Semi-Modular synth (Kickstarter - arriving April 2017)
Roland Boutique JX-03 + K-25m
Gechologic Gecho Loopsynth (Kickstarter - arriving April 2017) - for freaky fillers
A powerful PC (32Gb memory!) running Ableton Live
Main 50" 4K monitor (for compositing the music)
Slave 28" 4K monitor (for when I'm using the KeyLab 88)
Ableton Push 2
Arturia V Collection soft-synths (the Synclavier and Moog are really funky to play with - and soft synths do not take up valuable physical space...)
Native Instruments Reaktor (for physically modelled stuff)
Supercollider (for physically modelled soundscapes)
CSound (for miscellaneous stuff)
A slave PC for offloading some of the workload.
Cambridge Audio Amplifier
Gale Speakers (on desktop monitor speaker stands)
Ibinez Electric Guitar
Squire Bass Guitar
Epiphone Acoustic Guitar
Line 6 Spider IV 75 Amp

I'm a programmer by trade (and I also know some of the theory behind the DSP stuff) so I have the luxury of a bit of a head start with programming Reaktor, Supercollider and CSound. I'm seriously considering purchasing the Roland Demora Modular Delay unit (and maybe the Bitrazer, Torcido, and Scooper to complete the set!).

Er, that's enough to be getting on with... I'll post a picture when I have finally finished the studio...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:09:31 pm by PXPT »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 06:28:57 pm »
Stuff I have not heard of Dr Justice, I'll need to look it all up,

I have failed to get much out of the Big Sky when demoed in shops, stopped me buying it , what are your thoughts on it ?

I have the Zoom Multi effect too but haven't really found the patch I like
I'm very fond of the BigSky both for sound and UI/features. It's a "good sound" box, it dirties up nothing, just makes beautiful lush reverbs. Factor out the overdone shimmer demos that the world has ODed on, and you have a machine capable of a lot of varieties of reverb. Current favourite algorithms: Cloud and Magneto.

I'm guessing the stuff you didn't recognize may have been the SoundArt Chameleon and Axoloti(?)

@PXPT: Programmer here too - may I recommend checking out the Axoloti.

DrAKS

• TD wannabe
Re: How will your MB fit into your rig? Sub heading reverbs
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »
Could you help me choose a reverb, in the late 80's Yamaha did some rack reverbs the REV5 and REV7, these were way out of my price range but I managed to have a  fiddle in a shop.

They seemed much more versatile than modern pedal style ones. In the REVs I was able to define initial reflections , initial delay , liveliness , diffusion , and the usual room size echo time etc,

Lots of mental unusable patches but some truly fantastic ones too. The Simmons drums were ace through them.

Is there anything similar now?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:25 pm »
I'm not well enough versed in current outboard gear to give advice. The ones you mention are classics, still more than usable. There's a lot of nice boxes on the 2nd hand market of course, Lexicons and such. The Zoom rack units are generally very good - deeply programmable.

While racks are the most deeply programmable, the big pedals like Eventide and Strymon makes are quite capable, not least sound wise, with more parameters under the hood than you se on the front. Sort of like a stereo-rack-fx-in-a-big-pedal format with "studio quality" sound. I ilke the form factor for ease of access. Anyway, if you want the greatest programming flexibility, racks are the way to go.

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
Re: How will your MB fit into your rig? Sub heading reverbs
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:21:56 am »
Could you help me choose a reverb, in the late 80's Yamaha did some rack reverbs the REV5 and REV7, these were way out of my price range but I managed to have a  fiddle in a shop.
Is there anything similar now?

Have you had a look at the Roland Demora Modular Delay unit that I'm also considering buying. It's a reverb/echo turned up to 11 as far as I can tell. The delay is adjustable between 20us and 10 seconds (anything lower than 50ms is reverb in my book) so can act as both delay and reverb and can also act as an effects unit. It can also be controlled MIDI-wise via the usb connection and also the sound can be routed over the USB link too. This flexibility comes at a hefty price though. Maybe it's the dream unit you are looking for...?

(It's also considerably smaller than those Rev5/7 units - oh, the march of technology...)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:39:34 am by PXPT »

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:24:31 am »
@PXPT: Programmer here too - may I recommend checking out the Axoloti.

I haven't come across that before - looks really cool. After my current account has recovered from the excesses of buying kit/Christmas I'll have to investigate further. Cheers.

...actually, the implications of this have just hit me in the head like a 10 ton piledriver - PureData/Reaktor(ish) implimented in hardware. I like it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:54:52 am by PXPT »

DrAS

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »
( Panasonic bucket brigade chips)
The retired CEO pf Panasonic teaches me Japanese swordsmanship!

DrAKS

• TD wannabe
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:15 pm »
Yes but how many fingers have you got now, you left that bit out 1

Bob_R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 02:01:05 am »
This is my setup
Gear: MatrixBrute, MicroBrute, Korg Kronos 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ableton live 9, Drum Beat, Lexicon MX200, Strymon Big Sky and Mackie Onyx 1620 Mixer plus other bits and pieces

bobfrode

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:19:23 pm »
This is my setup

Looks a bit like my setup :)
I run my MB through the Kronos for better fx. I am waiting for the MFB Dominion 1, it looks a lot like the MB only smaller, but it would compliment the MB very well i hope :)

regards
https://soundcloud.com/bob-frode
gear: matrixbrute, Korg kronos, Korg R3, EnsoniqTS12, MPC Touch with a few soft synths

Bob_R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 06:01:31 am »
This is my setup

Looks a bit like my setup :)
I run my MB through the Kronos for better fx. I am waiting for the MFB Dominion 1, it looks a lot like the MB only smaller, but it would compliment the MB very well i hope :)

regards

I am running my MB through the Strymon BigSky sounds great  8)

Gear: MatrixBrute, MicroBrute, Korg Kronos 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ableton live 9, Drum Beat, Lexicon MX200, Strymon Big Sky and Mackie Onyx 1620 Mixer plus other bits and pieces

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines