March 19, 2024, 11:07:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minilab mkII Relative mode #2 bug?  (Read 6178 times)

sinisa

Minilab mkII Relative mode #2 bug?
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:07:31 am »
Hi I'm trying to set up Presonus Studio One with the knobs in relative mode. I got pretty close but may have hit a controller bug.

- In mode #1, turning the knob UP sends 64-67 and turns the AU/VST parameter UP as expected. Turning the knob DOWN sends 61-64 but doesn't affect the parameter.
- In mode #3, turning the knob UP/DOWN sends 16-19/13-16. Both direction turns the parameter DOWN.

- However in mode #2, turning the knob UP sends 0-3 and turns the parameter DOWN, which is reversed. Turning the knob DOWN sends 0 & 125-127 and doesn't change the parameter.

According to the 1st gen MiniLab manual http://downloads.arturia.com/products/minilab/manual/MiniLab_Manual_EN.pdf
Relative 2: The knob will send values 125-127 when turned in a negative direction and values 1-3 when turned in a positive direction. The turn speed determines the parameter response.
Can't find anything on relative mode in the mkII manual though.

This seems like a firmware bug? If mode #2 doesn't send the erroneous 0 value I should be able to use knobs in relative mode (when "reversed" option in Studio One).

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: Minilab mkII Relative mode #2 bug?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:15 am »
Hi Sinisa, and welcome on this board.

Sorry you're encountering this issue.

You're right, in the minilab MKII manual, details about relative modes are not explained, we have to update the manual for that, thanks for the info!

Actually the 3 relative modes are the same as the minilab mk1, here is how they work :

Relative 1:
The  knob will send values  61-63 when  turned  in  a  negative direction and  values  65-67 when  turned  in  a positive direction.The turn speed determines the parameter response.

Relative 2:
The knob will send values 125-127 when turned in a negative direction and  values  1-3  when  turned  in  a positive direction.
The turn speed determines the parameter response.

Relative 3:
The  knob will  send values  13-15 when  turned  in  a negative direction and  values  17-19 when  turned  in  a positive direction.
The turn speed determines the parameter response.

Please note that a "0" value will be sent between each steps. i.e in relative mode 1 : moving (slowly) right will send 65/64/65/64/65 etc...
This addition of this "0" value has been made to prevent browsing issues in Ableton Live. This parameter was called "knob fix" in Midi Control Center, but has been hard implemented on last firmware versions.

Please note that each DAW has it's own way to handle everything midi-related. I.e Relative mode in Ableton Live equals realtive mode 2 in the minilab.

As i don't know which version of Studio one and OS version you are using. I Unfortunately can't really help you more on this case.

In the meantime,  suggest you contact Presonus support to ask them how relative modes are handled in studio one.

Hope it helped a bit anyway.

Best,

gmeader

• Apprentice
Re: Minilab mkII Relative mode #2 (solved)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 05:20:54 pm »
Documentation on this is often sparse and cryptic. Here’s a document I wrote, after spending hours figuring it out, that explains in detail how Relative mode actually works on a MiniLab Mk II and how I configured it for the MPC Beats DAW.
http://chromakinetics.com/mpcbeats.html

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines