April 23, 2024, 04:05:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI issues...  (Read 3333 times)

well

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI issues...
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:31 am »
Hi!

thanks for such an inspiring machine!

So I'm using my  DB (firmware 1.1.) as Midi slave with MPC 2000 xl, Roland 909, etc.  - everything works fine but the exact MIDI-timing...

On the display of my DB (which starts & stops perfectly) I can see constant tempo changes -- within one BPM, say 120.09 to 120.99 - when syncing with MPC or 909 as master…

I know there's a possibility to sync 909 as slave with DINsync via clock (with Midi to mini TRS cable, btw: funny, in the manual its mentioned there will be a "free" cable coming with DB…) -- maybe the 909 is more stable that way…
haven't tried yet - has anybody experience with that??

I know the MIDI out of 909 is unstable & everything… but its also not working properly if MPC is master & its shifting in tempo…

don't know maybe you can fix that with a new firmware…
or what can I do (doing wrong)??

chris

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: MIDI issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:31:21 pm »
Hi Chris, When the bsp is in slave mode the movement of the tempo is normal .Infact most machine do not show midi clock when slaved (TR8) due to midi data stream not being stable . but unless you can hear this sync issue i would say don't worry .
I did request it being removed but Arturia like thew ideas of seeing the bpm on the DB and BSP.

Any problem get back to me.

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

jfmagnet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »
On my side when the drumbrute is slave i have a sync delay with my Ipad air 2, i can hear the delay (not just the bpm display) it's not rock steady. (around +12 late if i use the time shift scale to compare)
To get it works well i have to quit the midi clock sync mode and record the pattern on a midi track (Modstep / ipad) and get this track goes back triggering the Drumbrute via midi input.
I hope that the next firmware will fix that.

p.s the clock delay adjustment on Modstep doesnt seems to affect anything...

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:47:31 pm »
Ok i see the clock in modstep only deals with external clock and not delaying the outward clock like you get on some DAW. you may need to ask the dev team for the app to add this as there is always a delay the midi being sent and received via usb .

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

jfmagnet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:47:04 pm »
Thanks, i asked them  :)
I found a (long) way to achive what i want. Patterning give an excellent sync to the drumbrute so i set it to run the drumBrute AND the Modstep.
It is just a bit awkward to  have my stop/start button in Patterning instead of my DAW (Modstep).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:48:47 pm by jfmagnet »

well

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:25:08 am »
thanks!
well … can't hear a timing problem if I play exactly the same simple pattern (BD + snare) on 909 & Drumbrute… with same decay + pitch-settings they run in sync (also for a longer time);

would be nice to see some charts showing how far they are really off??? or if its tighter syncing with DINsync 909 to midi clock of DB??

so I have to live with that, as you said its the same with other midi-signals, where I can't see the bpm constantly changing…

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:52:37 am »
Hi,
For your information, Clock DIN is tighter than MIDI or USB on DrumBrute (IN or OUT). This is because with clock DIN, the machine has just to deal with a clock edge interrupting (almost) everything the machine was doing before, whereas in MIDI or USB, it has to sort and dispatch serial messages (polling method about every 300µs). However, even in MIDI DIN or USB, the DB is still very tight. If your tempo displayed moves a lot, with a great amplitude, it is due to your apparatus that is master.

Try syncing two DrumBrutes together in MIDI DIN or Clock DIN, and you will see the tempo displayed is not moving. It only moves after the dot because of rounding computing concerns.

Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines