April 20, 2024, 09:52:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP and setup with Roland TR-8  (Read 7014 times)

aslegu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BSP and setup with Roland TR-8
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »
Hi!

I have just gotten the BSP and am setting it up with my other gear.
I have connected it to my TR-8 via a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru box.
When pushing them 9 of the pads are making sounds.
LowTam is on the G#-pad, but there is no MidTam and HighTam.

What is the reason behind this, and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Asle :)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: BSP and setup with Roland TR-8
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:11 am »
The BSP drum pads are assigned a MIDI note each.  Your drummachine has it's instruments assigned to MIDI notes.  There are a few different standards for how to set-out the notes in a MIDI drum kit.

Roland in their infinite wisdom chose to create their own standard that only they adhere to.  That is okay, they helped invent MIDI, so everyone just seems to work around them.  It can be a real pain with big kits, but the TR-8's kit is tiny at currently 15 instruments with the 7x7 expansion.  Seeing as the BSP has 16 drum pads, there is no reason why you can't have all the sounds playable from your BSP drum sequencer.

The BSP comes with the ability to define individual drumpads by midi note.  In MCC you can choose to define them using a preset or select each note per pad (custom).  Refer to page 85 of Beatstep Pro Manual v1.4.0 for how to do this.
Now here's where it gets dumb.  Roland has two different ways they have assigned their MIDI notes depending on if you have the 7x7 samples installed.  Here is a list of the assignments Roland have used:

If 7X7-TR8 is not installed:
BASS DRUM: 35, 36
SNARE DRUM: 38, 40
LOW TOM: 41, 43
MID TOM: 45, 47
HIGH TOM: 48, 50
RIM SHOT: 37
HAND CLAP: 39
CLOSED HI-HAT: 42, 44
OPEN HI-HAT: 46
CRASH CYMBAL:
RIDE CYMBAL: 51

If 7X7-TR8 is installed:
BASS DRUM: 36
BASS DRUM 2: 35
SNARE DRUM: 38
SNARE DRUM 2: 40
LOW TOM: 43
MID TOM: 47
HIGH TOM: 50
RIM SHOT: 37
COW BELL: 56
HAND CLAP: 39
TAMBOURINE: 54
CLOSED HI-HAT: 42
OPEN HI-HAT: 46
CRASH CYMBAL: 49
RIDE CYMBAL: 51

If you use the Custom drum map assignments in MCC, you will have all the instruments on your TR-8 included, with one 'dead' pad (perfect for running an analogue gate track).

Hope this helps.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

aslegu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:26 am »
Thanks a lot!

I hadnīt installed/connected the BSP to the MCC and I guess I still havenīt really understood all the concepts of the unit, especially the CONTROLLER mode. My primary use of the BSP is with hardware units, thus I thought the CONTROLLER mode would allow me to do changes without connecting the item to a computer.

However your brilliant response made we reconfigure the pads in DRUM mode to a customised set for the midi notes. I now have access to all the pads. :)

Zay R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:21 am »
hi..need a little help. just got myself a BSP and i love it, i am using it to sequence some hardware synths plus korg volca beats.
all three sequencers are working as they should. i have mapped the drum sequencer in MCC and it plays perfectly.
Now the problem i am facing is trying to map BSP control mode encoder to individual volca beats part level. it just doesnt work.
I have the latest MCC and BSP firmware installed on win 8.1
And the worst part is that i dont what the problem is? is it my windows or the MCC it self is buggy. please help

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:19 am »
hi..need a little help. just got myself a BSP and i love it, i am using it to sequence some hardware synths plus korg volca beats.
all three sequencers are working as they should. i have mapped the drum sequencer in MCC and it plays perfectly.
Now the problem i am facing is trying to map BSP control mode encoder to individual volca beats part level. it just doesnt work.
I have the latest MCC and BSP firmware installed on win 8.1
And the worst part is that i dont what the problem is? is it my windows or the MCC it self is buggy. please help

MCC is working fine for me, I'm on Windows 7.

Have you got your Volca Beats set to receive "short messages"?  If not it, won't respond to MIDI CC messages.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines