March 28, 2024, 05:05:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Jumpy Knobs  (Read 27740 times)

figula

Re: Jumpy Knobs
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:52:12 pm »
Yes, there is such a problem. Can't wait anymore. I'll take Minilab back to the store. Jumps at slow scrolling, blinking of the octave button. Worthless tool with 16 encoders. Programmers have not solved the problem and user requests for 3 years. Analog lab is also buggy and crashes. Sadly.

LBH

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 09:24:32 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I don't have a Arturia controller yet, so i will not say anything about the jumping knobs, as i don't know anything about it.

But this:
Analog lab is also buggy and crashes.
Can you explain why many others apparantly do not exsperience Analog Lab 3 have a crashing issue?
Which Analog Lab 3 bugs are you refering to?

If there is something, then we can have a look at that in the Analog Lab 3 forum.

Your computer specifications and informations about your setup and usage of Analog Lab 3 will be needed.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 11:14:44 am »
Hello everyone.

In case you are facing jumps with your encoders when moving them slowly, I have a beta firmware that you can try.
This firmware is greatly improving the response of the encoders upon slow rotation. You can find it enclosed.

/!\ This is a beta firmware and not an official release /!\

Best

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

kytdkut

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:34 pm »
I have a beta firmware that you can try.

Hello Edouard! Do you have a beta firmware for the KeyLab MKII too? Noticing the same behaviour on some of its encoders.

RobertSilva

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 11:16:50 am »
Hi everybody!

Just got a brand new Minilab Mk2. I also have the same problems with the values jumping.

I think I might have an additional problem: Encoders 1 and 9 feel different when turning. It's like they're stuck and need some lubricant.
Has anyone noticed if the "feel" (not the slower change of values) on these encoders?

Thank you!

RobtheVoid

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
Thanks. I'll try this firmware today. I have to say I'm really really disappointed with mkII knobs

They are quite fine for massive operation (e.g. completely open a parameter) but you can't use them at all for slow movement and automation fine tuning.
I've tried everything: firmware update, mk2 reset, tried to connect mk2 with a powered usb-c adapter and another adapter.
Nothing changes, same shitty behaviour of ghost notes going back and forth even when I'm moving the knob in one direction. Ghost notes coming in when I've already stopped to move the knob one second before

I've tested both in ableton and Pigment/Lab Lite with both my Moog SubPhatty via USB and with my Virus kb via classical Midi cable and the control is perfect and smooth.
I exclude a software or laptop (macbook pro) problem. It is definitely the quality of the knob and probably the firmware to be really low.
I've looked up on google and see thread on this since 4-5 years. Almost incredible. Knowing that I'm not sure I would have opted for a MKII Minilab

premrov

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »
Hello everyone.

In case you are facing jumps with your encoders when moving them slowly, I have a beta firmware that you can try.
This firmware is greatly improving the response of the encoders upon slow rotation. You can find it enclosed.

Best

Edouard
Finally some movement, after years of waiting!

After testing this firmware for a bit, the improvement for slow movements is noticeable, but still far too jumpy to be considered accurate.
I often still get jumps in the opposite direction of movement, which is a big no-go for my use.
Unfortunately the bigger issue with this firmware is now fast movement, which has become wildly unpredictable and unreliable. It either moves too much or too little, but often it doesn't register at all.

It seems to me now that this really is a hardware issue, and that no amount of firmware tinkering will make the encoders usable.
Frankly it seems baffling that almost none of the reviews mention the awful encoder situation, and even more baffling that such a critical fault was not resolved in product development.
I would almost go as far as to say that Arturia shipped a defective product.
It's very unfortunate to see what is otherwise such a great small keyboard ruined by borderline useless knobs (and to a lesser extent those ill-advised flashing octave buttons).

I'll wait on the official firmware release, but it's honestly hard to believe we're going to see a real solution.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 01:25:28 pm »
It seems to me now that this really is a hardware issue, and that no amount of firmware tinkering will make the encoders usable.
Same with the KeyLab. They use cheap digital pots. You can't fix inadequacies caused by poor hardware with a software patch, no more than you can make a Suzuki Alto accelerate as fast as a Mitsubishi Evo by remapping its ECU.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

premrov

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 08:33:33 pm »
Same with the KeyLab. They use cheap digital pots. You can't fix inadequacies caused by poor hardware with a software patch, no more than you can make a Suzuki Alto accelerate as fast as a Mitsubishi Evo by remapping its ECU.
The KeyLab has the same issue? That's awful to hear!
I can't imagine spending several hundred dollars and getting the same useless encoders.
Just a crazy bad decision on Arturia's part.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 01:08:07 pm »
The KeyLab has the same issue? That's awful to hear!
I can't imagine spending several hundred dollars and getting the same useless encoders.
Just a crazy bad decision on Arturia's part.

Yep:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=100701.0
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 07:56:48 pm »
Hello everyone.

Best

Edouard

Please share this for the Keylab MKII. Please. It's unbearable there too. Thank you.

siukeihui

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 04:39:51 am »
Same problem. Luckily the problem only happen on Knob 9 (with the push function) of my MiniLab Mk2.

While I'm turning the knob and monitor the Midi event, it just sends some garbage message including sysex.  Disappointing.

From keeping customer satisfaction perspective, if it's just the bad pot, instead of the costly product recall, it will be practical if Arthuria can send us some replacement POT, or the local distributor can help, otherwise we have to do our own soldering work. Otherwise, replace the entire mother board.

wallmaker84

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 05:59:20 pm »
Hi to all,

I'm a new user, I have bought my ML MKII from an other user. I'm very happy, except for the knob 16 that presents the same issues that you are presenting on this topic and the pitch strip that needs sometime to a reset and reconnection of the device to work properly.

For the know it seems a POT problem, due to the fact that other pots work great. Anyone has the specs of the POT installed for a check/repair?

Daniele

Regenstadt

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 03:32:16 pm »
Hello. Having the same issue.
Is anyone at Arturia going to do something about this problem? Otherwise I will probably have to return it back to the store and leave a negative recommendation.

AERO2004

• Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 09:38:42 am »
Hey everybody !

I had the same problem for the jumpy knobs and I thought something hardware was broken.
I have installed an older firmware (1.09 available on Arturia's website : http://downloads.arturia.net/products/minilab-mkII/firmware/minilabmk2_Firmware_Update_1_0_9_83.led) and I have set the "knob acceleration" to "fast" in the device settings of the Midi Control Center. It seems now to work in Analog Lab 4.

Hope it can help you with this problem  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines