April 19, 2024, 10:34:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED]MinLab MKII Knobs  (Read 23313 times)

Psygotran

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
[SOLVED]MinLab MKII Knobs
« on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »
Just got the MiniLab MKII and installed the latest firmware.

Trying to use it with Analog Lab 2 but the knobs EG: Cutoff/ Resonance etc simply jump from 0 - 127 with no
incremental values ( +-1 etc). Tried various settings in the Midi control center and key mapping directly in Live 9.7
but still cannot get gradual increase of values in both Absolute or Relative modes. ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:43:16 am by Germain.arturia »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: MinLab MKII Knobs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »
Hi Psygotran, and welcome on this board.

Sorry you're encountering this issue.

Could you please tell me the exact firmware version you are using? Exact version of Analog lab 2?
What is your OS? and finally i'd like to know if you've got the same issue when Analog Lab 2 is in Standalone mode or inside a DAW.

Just for your information, Analog lab 2 2.0.4.1155 ( last version online) fully supports the minilab mkII. In Analog lab 2 bottom toolbar, you can select the minilab mkII inside Midi controller dropdown menu.

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Best,

Psygotran

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 10:48:05 am »
Hi

I am using Win7 64 and the latest firmware download for Minilab MKII.

Analog lab 2 2.0.4.1155 is my version, I am running in Ableton Live 9.7.1

I did try standalone and all controllers worked perfectly !

Happy Christmas to you

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
Hi Psygotran, thanks for your precisions.
So the problem happens using analog lab 2 in ableton live on windows.
Just to be clear, do these jumps occur on the very first knob move? i encountered that too, but once the first jump has been done, if you move the same knob again, it doesn't jump anymore.
Do you agree on this point?
If yes, the cause is the midi handling of windows, which simply can't share the midi ports between 2 applications . Actually when loading a preset in analog lab 2 standalone, it sends the knob value to the minilab mkII, and you don't encounter jumps.
When analog lab 2 runs in Live, as Live already takes control of the midi ports, Analog lab 2 is unable to send knob value to the minilab mkII when loading a preset.

On a Mac , Midi handling is different, and midi ports can be shared ( no Mac versus windows debate here, just a fact)

So i suggest in your case, even if it's uncomfortable, to do a little tweaking of all your desired knobs after loading a preset in Analog lab 2 inside Live...

hope it helps,

best,

Psygotran

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »
Hi

Thanks for detailed replies here  :)

"if you move the same knob again, it doesn't jump anymore"

Do you agree on this point?

I am afraid the jumping is recurring under all tweaking circumstances, it's frustrating because
I bought Minilab based on it's alleged control abilities, for use with the V collection

I also have your BeatStep Pro and MicroBrute, I do not have issues with these instruments .

Will have to come up with a creative solution for Minilab.

Happy New Year

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:56:28 am »
Hi Psygotran,

i did some tests in live 9.7.1 with analog lab 2.0.4.1155 on win 7 pro 64.
As i said before , the only knob jumps i encounter are when i first tweak knobs after loading a preset. As it happens most of the time in your case, even if we are apparently working on the same setup, i have some new questions :

- Could you please provide a screenshot of your Live "LINK-MIDI" preferences panel? Mine is set like this

- Have you got different midi controllers simultaneously connected?

- In analog lab 2 bottom toolbar, in "midi controller" part , could you please confirm that "minilab mkII" is selected? I'm asking this because if "minilab" is selected instead, i can easily reproduce the situation you are describing.

- Finally , assuming you are using firmware 1.0.7.67, did you try a factory reset?  You can do this  by holding "oct+" and "oct -" buttons before powering up the minilab mkII.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

best,

Psygotran

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:45:59 pm »
Hi

Ok so 'Factory Re-Set did the trick' I should of done this after the firmware update !

I saved the setting in Live and rebooted the DAW several times...working perfectly now.

Cannot thank you enough for your help.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

ecrase2500

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: [SOLVED]MinLab MKII Knobs
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:39:47 am »
Hi, I am experiencing the same/similar problem but have been unable to fix it using the instructions in this thread.

I'm on an iMac (MacOS Sierra 10.12.2) running Ableton Live Suite 9.7.1 and Analog Lab 2.0.4.155.

My controller is a Minilab Mk II that I just picked up today. I have upgraded it to firmware 1.0.7.67.

When I run Analog Lab on its own, the controllers on the MiniLab work as expected. When I run Analog Lab as a VST plugin within Ableton Live, the controllers jump between on and off and some controllers appear to be intercepted by Ableton for other purposes (e.g. rotary 8 and 16 are scrolling through scenes/channels).  Analog Lab won't allow me to re-map when it's running as a VST instrument.

The controllers appear to function in unexpected ways with other Ableton Live functions. For example, some values can only be increased by the rotary controllers, but can't be decreased.

My Ableton settings look like this:

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thank you!

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:00 am »
Hi Ecrase2500, sorry for the delay.

Looking at your screenshot, it appears that you must change some parameters in your midi-link panel :

can you please set it like this :
control surface : none / input : none / output none :

in Midi ports part , minilab mkII input and output should be only configured like this for now :
track on / sync off / remote off

Like this, using analog lab 2 as a VST in Live will be ok. But for now using Minilab mkII for controlling Vst instruments AND controlling live, is almost possible , but needs to create a custom mapping using Live and Midi control center. But If you don't care about controlling Live AND controlling Vst instruments, the method i described above should be helpful enough.

Please note, that minilab and minilab mkII are really different gear,  so choosing "minilab" as a control surface will lead to inconsistencies, as you noticed. We are currently working hard with ableton team to have a midi remote script for the minilab mkII. Hopefully, this script should be available on live 9.7.2 release.

Hope it helps,

best,

ecrase2500

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 04:00:31 am »
Hi Germain,

Thanks for your response. With the settings you suggested, Analog Lab 2 as a VST within Ableton treats all the rotary controllers as on/off switches. They at least seem connected to the right ones onscreen, though.

Ableton itself only recognizes the keys, not the controllers. But I suppose that's what turning off "remote" did.

When I try turning "remote" back on and manually mapping the controls in Ableton, they're all acting like toggles again.

So if I'm getting this straight, the Minilab Mk II is pretty much useless as an Ableton controller until the remote script arrives? That would be kind of disappointing considering the marketing.  :'(

Pierre

ganzfeld

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
I'm having similar issues with my MK2. I've tried everything mentioned here, from doing a factory reset to updating the firmware to ensuring my knobs are set to absolute and not relative. I've tested it on both my laptop and desktop too, both running Ableton 9.7.1.

Sometimes the jumpy encoder issue pops up, usually when I switch presets with the Shift key, but I cannot get the knobs to turn decently no matter what I do. Even when the controller is "behaving" (no skipping values), it takes around 4 full rotations of the knob to go from 0 to 127 on an Ableton macro control. No amount of faster turning seems to affect this, in fact the acceleration settings don't seem to do anything at all.

I've tried it out in PreSonus Studio One and also am experiencing the "slow knobs" effect. I don't think there is anything physically wrong with knobs though, because within the Analog Lab VST they turn just fine. Anything outside of Analog Lab is unusably slow unfortunately.

Is this just the make of the device, or is this something I can expect to be addressed with the new script that is possibly coming with Live 9.7.2? If it would help to post my settings I will. Windows 10, Live 9.7.1 and Studio One 3.3.3. I don't have any other MIDI devices connected either.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:00:08 am by ganzfeld »

hmoslo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:06:10 am »
Can't say how disappointed I was when I discovered the mkII isn't even supported by Ableton Live! Seriously - how can this be given the heavy marketing? At the very least you should be able to indicate when it will be supported.

bennaayy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 08:00:56 pm »
When will ableton be compatible with MK 2? I have bought the product and it does not work with ableton well..very upsetting >:(

Cap Steven

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
It would be great to see a DEMO at least!

Whether arming the tracks for recording will work from the controller (and we can skip using keyboard)
and
whether is it going to be possible to change the pad functions from control to drum easily.

Sadly it is true what I read on internet about Arturia support. They are responsive indeed, however rarely answer the question or solve problems.

Masonh79

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:26 am »
I have exactly the same situation here with an mkii controller I bought for its versatility and pre-configured Abelton Live settings, only to find that there's a POSSIBLE date in the future to make it compatible.

Complete bullshit.  ???

Are you planning on refunding users for the time/money that they waste waiting for you guys to actually deliver a working remote script?

How is it even legal to market it with videos like this, showing features that DONT EVEN EXIST?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=-cvNcesG67Y

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines