April 20, 2024, 06:27:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sending only Clock/BPM per MIDI  (Read 5999 times)

Blazerbargain

Sending only Clock/BPM per MIDI
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

So I've got a problem
I got an Modular, Dark Energy and TR-8
so the both Sequencers are giving Cv/Gate to the Modular & Dark Energy.
The TR-8 is GETTING the BPM via Midi kable directly from the BSP.

So far so Good !

Now if I'm using the Drumgates (the lower ones) to Control with the gate-outputs the modular , the TR-8 is also played or getting Gate inputs:
For example i tippt in the TR-8 an 4/4 Kick and the drum sequenzer is playing 16 Steps the tr-8 plays 16 kicks per step....
For sure it got something to do with the Software somehow.

Same as with another Synth connected with an MIDI Thru to get the BPM.

I just want that the TR-8 and other Midi devices are getting the BPM per midi nothing else.
what do i have to change in the settings ?

Thanks you very much

FastGraph

Re: Sending only Clock/BPM per MIDI
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:47:12 am »
So if I understand correctly you don't want the TR8 to respond to midi note messages, only to midi clock.

Try changing the TR8 midi channel which defaults to channel 10 to something else or change the drum sequencer on the BSP to anything but channel 10.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:16:52 am »
The BSP only sends midi clock data when it is running, so you need to have the BSP playing a sequence to send BPM info to other devices.  This is actually very annoying if you want to run more one sequencer.  To sync many sequencers with a BSP, you will need to use one of the others as your master clock and sync your BSP to it by changing the sync source using the sync button.

Try sending the TR-8 to the BSP.  You will need to set your BSP to drum sequence input channel to a different one to your TR-8.  Roland are appalling with their midi implementation, so I'd not be surprised if the TR-8 didn't send clock data whilst stopped also.  What they have done though, is when in auto sync mode, the TR-8 will play at it's internal BPM rate when not receiving any via midi.  If you use this mode you will be able to run your TR-8 when not running the BSP, although it won't be the same tempo as the BSP was running at most likely.

I'm running 6 (hardware) sequencers of varying descriptions and have connected my BSP directly to a Remote Zero SLmk2 as it's internal clock can sync to an external BPM and then continue to send that rate even if it is not receiving any BPM info.  ERM make a stand alone midi masterclock designed for keeping many devices synchronised, that can do the same timing sync function as the Novation SLmk2 range, but at a price which reflects that it is only a clock generator.

Something I haven't tried yet is plugging the BSP into the Keystep.  When in external sync mode, the Keystep will revert back to it's internal clock if it stops receiving timing data, using the last tempo it received as the BPM.  The Keystep also has a proper thru function also, so it should be able to perform the same function as the Remote Zero SLmk2 with regards to the clock send.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Sicily man

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:03 am »

I'm running 6 (hardware) sequencers of varying descriptions and have connected my BSP directly to a Remote Zero SLmk2 as it's internal clock can sync to an external BPM and then continue to send that rate even if it is not receiving any BPM info.  ERM make a stand alone midi masterclock designed for keeping many devices synchronised, that can do the same timing sync function as the Novation SLmk2 range, but at a price which reflects that it is only a clock generator.

Hello there!
Sorry, you mean you're running various sequencers With Bsp at the same time?!
How you do it?
Becouse I'm trying to make it work with my Korg emx-1 to sequence a Virus Synth.. But I'm not getting into anything.
If i use the Korg as a Máster:

Korg midi out --- Bsp midi in
Bsp midi out --- virus midi in
Virus midi thru --- mfb 503 midi in

Bsp doesn't works as midi thru so Just 2 channels are sent to virus.
If i use Bsp as a Máster i have almoust the same problem:

Bsp midi out --- Korg midi in
Korg midi thru --- virus midi in
Virus midi thru --- mfb 503 midi in

Virus Will receive Just the 2 Bsp channels but won't receive the other 5 from Korg.

Any solution, suggestions?

Pllleeaassseeeeeeeee :)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:09:19 am »
What are you trying to sequence with which sequencers?  Or to put it another way, what is the BSP going to be running and what is the EMX going to be running?  This will dictate your chain order.

The following is me going on assumptions.

Considering the BSP doesn't do MIDI THRU, you pretty much need to set it as the master and have it running the others.  But since you are running a second sequencer (EMX), you need to have it's MIDI out running into what you want it to sequence.  As the EMX has a THRU port, you can split the signal at that point and run the EMX's MIDI THRU to the device you want the BSP to run and then the MIDI OUT to the device you want the EMX to sequence.

Think about the THRU port as a forwarding port.  It will send anything it receives at the input onto the THRU port untouched.

Try this config:
BSP out -> EMX in
EMX out -> Virus in
EMX THRU -> MFB

This will have the BSP running the EMX and the MFB, while the EMX runs the Virus.
What is happening is the signal is going to the EMX but also being forwarded from it to the MFB.  The EMX's sequence data is send on it's MIDI output to the Virus.  As the Virus is receiving data from the EMX MIDI output, it won't receive BSP data.  If you want the Virus to be run by the BSP, you'll have to put it before the EMX and then run it's MIDI THRU into the EMX and then onto the MFB using the MIDI THRU on the EMX.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines