March 28, 2024, 12:34:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: V-Collection 5 - Standalone crash on selecting ASIO  (Read 3632 times)

Razalduria

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
V-Collection 5 - Standalone crash on selecting ASIO
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:20:32 am »
Hey there...

As soon as I choose ASIO in the audio preferences, the stand-alone synth crashes and will not start unless I delete the preferences file in the ProgramData folder of the systemdrive (it then provides me with the audio preferences screen again on next start).

That said, I cannot use my audio interface with its low latency ASIO driver at all...
Using "Windows Audio", it works - but with high latency...

V-Collection 5
AI: Mackie Onyx Blackbird

realkilroy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: V-Collection 5 - Standalone crash on selecting ASIO
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:08 am »
I have exactly the same problem on my Windows 10 Pro x64.
"Mini V" works fine with ASIO, but several other plugins crash as soon as I switch to ASIO.
That makes me think it's not a problem with the audio drivers.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:59:32 pm »
I can't for sure tell where the issue is. But i can add that i can use ASIO with V-collection on Windows 10 Pro.
Does that mean it's a WIndows 10 Pro issue? I don't think that's enough facts to tell.

You don't tell if your ASIO drivers work with other applications running in windows 10 mode - or if you use 32 or 64 bit.

Have you tried to update your ASIO drivers, and are you sure they are compatibel with Windows 10 32/64 bit?

According to this http://mackie.com/products/onyx-blackbird , then Onyx blackbird driver is only supported up to windows 8. Scroll down to software/ firmware info. So perhaps it's a driver issue after all for both of you?

If the drivers are'nt compatible with windows 10, then you can try to install/ run them (perhaps as administrator) in compatibility mode.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:01:55 pm by LBH »

realkilroy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »
I found the reason (in my case). It's a mistake in the standalone.pref file.
This setting   <VALUE name="AudioDeviceOutputBufferSize" val="4800"/> has wrong buffer size. Apparently it's a "default" value, and I can't imagine why it's 4800. Should be 4096 or 2048 .etc. So I've changed it to 4096 for all instruments and nothing is crashing now.

Edit: OK, now I see it makes sense for 96000 sample rate to have 4800 samples in the buffer. But still, 4096 works and 4800 - doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:35:47 pm by realkilroy »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:57:21 pm »
I found the reason (in my case). It's a mistake in the standalone.pref file.
This setting   <VALUE name="AudioDeviceOutputBufferSize" val="4800"/> has wrong buffer size. Apparently it's a "default" value, and I can't imagine why it's 4800. Should be 4096 or 2048 .etc. So I've changed it to 4096 for all instruments and nothing is crashing now.

Edit: OK, now I see it makes sense for 96000 sample rate to have 4800 samples in the buffer. But still, 4096 works and 4800 - doesn't.

I wonder - that if it was that 4800 value, that was your issue, then why does'nt everone have the issue?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:02:06 pm by LBH »

realkilroy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:43 pm »
I wonder - that if it was that 4800 value, that was your issue, then why does'nt everone have the issue?

No idea. But in Audio Settings I see that 4096 is the biggest number of samples in the buffer, that I can select.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:19 pm »
No idea. But in Audio Settings I see that 4096 is the biggest number of samples in the buffer, that I can select.

Soundcard drivers can use different buffer sizes - in some cases also some odd values.
I can imagine the value 4800 can be a limit or a variable value, that you change when setting audio settings in the applications or in your soundcard control center.
Perhaps there are other reasons for the value. There are or can also be differences between the buffer size set and the actually buffer value when runnig thru the whole PC system and the applications in use.
I don't knw about the context of that coding value in the code.
I too find the value 4800 odd, but perhaps it don't matter at all.

I also find i odd if it solve your issue to change that value. I presume you don't use a buffer at 4096 samples, as that's a very high buffer size. It's good for you, if it in your case helps to change the value, but if so, then i would like to know why. Perhaps Arturia can answer this? Informations about your soundcard and driver might help to find out.
As it is we can only guess about all this.

Just found this. Perhaps this explains the value 4800:
https://github.com/igorski/MWEngine/wiki/Understanding-Android-audio-towards-achieving-low-latency-response
For example scroll down to the headline "the right buffer size".

I can add that my soundcard drivers max buffer is 1024 samples.
Normally i don't think one shall change that value you have changed. I guess the value is recognized and changed automaticly dependng on what' values that are reported and set. But i'm not a technician, so i'm not absolutely certain about it.
Again, perhaps Arturia can and will tell?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:19:51 pm by LBH »

Razalduria

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:34:10 pm »
Hey there, thanks for the Replies...

Well, I'm on x64, the driver (although announced for Windows 8 only) works fine in every other application (Cubase Pro 8.5 x64 for example) within Windows 10. I can also switch to the Onyx Blackbird in "Windows Audio" mode really fine, but as soon as I change it to ASIO, it crashes (and doesn't start again until I delete the standalone.prefs file).

LBH

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 08:32:54 pm »
I can't tell if there is something wrong with the Pref file in some contexts. I guess it's a possibilty.

And i can't tell if Arturia applications need Windows 10 updated drivers more some other applications do, but i have heard others having issues in applications that have raised the WIndows 10 flag, when trying to use applications that did'nt raiesed the windows 10 flag, unless they ran things in compatibility mode.

I can't tell if there can be other reasons either.

Perhaps Arturia can tell. Clearly you have issues or difficulties of some kind.
I assume you have tried to run things in compatibilty mode - right?

If Arturia don't react here, then i suggest you contact Arturia Support directly.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 01:22:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

interesting one, in order for us to investigate deeper, could you people tell me on which sample rate are your audio interfaces set before opening our standalones?

best,

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines