March 28, 2024, 12:00:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep + Cubase - SEQ/ARP behaves erratically  (Read 2875 times)

bearhat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Keystep + Cubase - SEQ/ARP behaves erratically
« on: December 12, 2016, 05:48:34 am »
Hello. I picked up a Keystep a few months ago and have spent countless hours of unimaginable fun using it to control a Moog Werkstatt without a DAW. So much fun. BUT, now that I want to get serious and compose some music with Cubase 5, there is a problem. When Keystep is connected to PC via USB with Cubase running, the SEQ and ARP act erratically. I'll explain in detail below. It seems to have no effect whether the Keystep is a slave or a master, or what the 'Sync Clock in/out' settings are set to. I've have been unable to find this problem in Arturia forums or Cubase forums.

Perhaps a description of what happens playing a single note in ARP may provide a clue.

I hold down a 'C' and it repeats a single note exactly as one would expect. Pressing a 'C' one octave up or down, however, gets the same pitch, not an octave.
It gets weirder.
'C#' results in the ARP ascending in half steps
'D' results in the ARP ascending in whole steps
'D#' results in the ARP ascending in minor thirds etc...

Similarly, 'B' results in descending halfsteps
'A#' results in descending whole steps
'A' results in descending minor thirds

Returning to any 'C' will play whichever note the ARP decided to land on last.

As soon as I shut off Cubase, it works fine.

I have no other DAW to test this with, and no other Arturia products.
I sense there is something really obvious right in front of me that I am missing.

Thanks for any help.

O-li Arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Re: Keystep + Cubase - SEQ/ARP behaves erratically
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:05 am »
Hi bearhat,

When the KeyStep receives an external MIDI note over its "Transpose" channel, then it transposes the sequence/ the arp accordingly.

You might have MIDI notes sent from Cubase (either a loopback of the KeyStep or from some other sources in your setup).

To fix this, you can change the Transpose MIDI channel of the KeyStep into the MIDI Control Center, and as well review your channel routing in your Cubase setup (to avoid loopbacks or the send of MIDI notes to the transpose channel).

Cheers!

bearhat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keystep + Cubase - SEQ/ARP behaves erratically
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:07 am »
Yes, you nailed it!

Until your reply, I had no knowledge of 'transpose' channels. I think my eyes glazed over the options in MCC as 'transport' channels.

Thank you very much for your help.

...Onward to the musical adventures!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines