April 18, 2024, 11:03:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: question about VCA's section in MMV3  (Read 1935 times)

mrkhallinan

question about VCA's section in MMV3
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:10:52 pm »
hi,
I have just got the demo version of Moog Modular V3 and am considering getting the full version.
But there is something I want to ask.
I want to use Polyphonic Aftertouch to open a VCA which will allow the Mod Wheel to open the filter.
So I patch the AT output into one of the VCA AM inputs, and I patch the MOD output into that VCA's signal input.
I set the "Amount" of the AM input to Full, and I turn up the Volume of that VCA.  I patch the Output of that VCA
into the Frequency input of the VCF.  But I find that when the Modwheel of my Midi controller is outputting 0,
that the Aftertouch still opens the filter.  It opens it less than it does when Modwheel is outputting 127, but it still
opens the filter.  What I want it to do is not open the filter at all when Modwheel is 0, and open it fully when Modwheel is 127.
But no matter how I set up the Volume knob of the VCA, or the Amount levels of the VCA's input or the VCF's Freq input,
that when Modwheel is 0, the AT still opens the filter.
Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is some kind of bug in MMV3.
Thank you
Mark

LBH

Re: question about VCA's section in MMV3
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:21:13 pm »
Hi,

Try this:
First simple.
1. Open the preset "Mod wheel"
2. Set the filter cutoff to zero- (You can never get the filter to be Zero if it's set above zero or if a mod is increasing it from zero.)
3. Turn the filter mod for the modwheel fully up or to the amount you wish.

Now play while using the modwheel.
There should be no sound when the modwheel is at zero, unless you have raised the resonance to a high level.
Is this what you wan't to do?

I don't understand what you mean the AT should allow the filter to be controled by the Mod wheel.
But now try and add this - (also useful for other reasons)):
4. Pull out the VCA input from the filter and put the filter output into the mixer channel number 12 or lower input.
5. Take a modulator - in this case the AT output - and connect it to the above mixer channels modulator input. Start setting the modulation amount at 12 o'clock and be careful not to set it too high or you will get things far to high output.
6. Set the mixer channel volume just above -100 db to allow modulation. Just the smallest step as possible above -100 db.
7. Connect the mixer channels output to the VCA input.

Now you will only get sound when you use aftertouch/ (press the keys down after they are played), and only if you have raised the modwheel, unless you have set the resonance very high.
Is this what you wan't to do?

I use channel aftertouch where all played notes have the same amount of aftertouch. I don't know if Modular have true polyphonic aftertouch so individual notes can have different amount of aftertouch.
Also remember the "Mod wheel" preset is mono, so set  it to poly and increased the voices if you wan't it to be polyphonic.

I attach a image of the full preset. Login to see attachments.

You can do a lot of things in different ways in a modular system. This is one way.
Remeber if you use a vca output to modulate anything coming back to the vca, then you make a feedback.

Hope this helps and was what you was looking for and can work from here.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:50:25 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »
Login to see attachments.
I attach a image of another way to do similar. Notice the VCA volume is down and modulated up by the AT, while the filter go directly into the VCA.
Also notice the mixer channel level is set up. Be careful it's not to loud. Start setting it low.
In my example the VCA mod in is set to maximu. But you can allways balance input and output levels in different ways if you wish to.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:50:40 pm by LBH »

mrkhallinan

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:48:52 am »
Thank you very much LBH.
I will try that.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines