March 28, 2024, 01:00:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using Spark Modular to create a kick drum  (Read 1866 times)

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Using Spark Modular to create a kick drum
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:36:40 pm »
Dear Spark Users community,

I am trying to figure out how to use the modular section to create a kick drum. I've managed to create cool percussion sounds, like a cowbell, hi-hat, tom etc... But synthesising my own kick has escaped me.

I've read a tutorial online that said you could try it by having a sine wave rapidly decline in pitch. I've been trying to set this up in Spark, with an LFO connected to the FM-input of the oscillator. But this only yields a sine going up and down according to the rate of the LFO; not the rapidly declining pitch I've read about.

Any ideas, tips or other tutorials I can study ? I plan to go in depth here, I would like to learn how to sound design better.

Thank you for reading !

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Using Spark Modular to create a kick drum
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
Hi . you could start with a default project and then add an analogue drum in to instrument 1 .
or see my screenshot as a starting point.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:51:56 pm »
Cheers mate, I will try that soon. I think I get everything in the picture, except the KF1 output from the pad to the Decay of the evenlope. I don't understand this simply because it is not explained in the manual nor in the offical Arturia modular YouTube-tutorial. What is it ?

And did you add the Decay and the Release to the same macro-knob below ?

Cheers !

Blanco_Beats
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:53:31 pm by Blanco_Beats »

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:01 pm »
Dear Terrym and others,

I have tried the set-up you showed and indeed got some 'kicky' results. But I am not quite there yet. Do you have some more pointers for me? I am trying layering to get a fuller kick with some more timbre and stuff. See pic.

Do I miss a functionality of the LFO, for example ?

Cheers !

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines