March 29, 2024, 09:22:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI Clock Timing Problem  (Read 1378 times)

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
MIDI Clock Timing Problem
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:02 am »
I just found that over USB, the Keylab seems to quantize all its data to around 20ms. If more than one event occurs during that time period, it burst sends them all at once. I ran some tests using different interfaces and found it is ONLY the case with the Kaylab's internal USB interface. I had a Firewire MIDI interface lying around, and when connected to the Kaylab's MIDI OUT port, it did not exhibit the same quantizing behavior. To make sure that this wasn't a product of my Mac's internal USB MIDI drivers, I tested an Alesis USB controller, and it too did not exhibit the quantization.

Not only does this effect controller and pitch wheel data, it appears to also effect notes. I did some glissandos and I noticed all of them were quantized to within the same window. This is very distressing not only because it effects performance, but it actually wreaks havoc on my DAW which has difficulty interpreting these data bursts, especially pitch wheel data. This is the cause of the problems I was talking about in a post last week.

I've included a MIDI Monitor screenshot to illustrate this behavior. The readings are from sliding one of the keylab faders fairly quickly.

Could anyone check this against their setup and see whether they get the same results?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:30:00 am by Eric Barker »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines