March 28, 2024, 09:58:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Filter causes oscillator's phase to change, multiple osc outputs  (Read 7562 times)

LBH

Re: Filter causes oscillator's phase to change, multiple osc outputs
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
I have just done a test on todays new update of Modular V3 version 3.0.4.1092, based on a thought to only listen to the synced OSC too -again.

As we agree, then 2 equally tuned hardsynced OSC's should not give phaseshift relationshift behavior.

And actually my test show, if only having sound from the OSC that sync to another, then the hard sync do work like i believe is correct.

But if you also have sound from the OSC you sync to, then it go wrong even though those two OSCs are hardsynced.

But why do a synced OSC suddenly be both in and out of sync with another, just becasuse you listen to both OSCs at the same time?
It's like there are two different signals running. The synced signal, and a none synced signal/ waveform that come out of the waveform outputs of the OSC another is synced to.

We have discussed some things that might can cause the phaseshift relationship behavior, when it should'nt. And perhaps also the mixer can cause the wrong behavior.

We have also mentioned some suggestions to what might can help solving the phaseshift relationship behavior issue, when it's wrongly introduced, - at least in some situations.
But if for instance the mixer, the envelopes, the filters and other modules introduce the wrong behavior, then perhaps more is needed.

I still believe Arturia should pat this full attention. And perhaps look at Matrix, even if i had a few times that it went wrong too, if i first just tune the OSCs equal, and then use Sync. But mostly Matrix work correct i believe. Matrix work better regarding this issue.

Tausendberg

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 12:21:16 am »
Oh wow, I figured we were due for a Modular update, although I'm not surprised they haven't fixed some of the major issues...

Edit: Hmm, I just looked, it doesn't appear there are any functionality updates. Just a bunch of stability and small bugfixes. I really hope they fix amplitude modulation by the next update because in my opinion the amplitude modulation is the biggest problem with Modular V right now. In traditional synths, amplitude modulation is used in a large number of things and so it's ridiculous for it to be a feature that basically doesn't work well. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:27:22 am by Tausendberg »

LBH

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »
I think the main issue is about when 2 or more OSC's is tuned equal and you hear at least 2 of the OSCs. Actually the issue can occour if a sound somehow end of where OSCs are tuned equal, even if it happens during some kind of modulation like a detune passing a eaual tuning. The sound become thin when that happens, and thatsnot good.

Also it's not good a envelope sync modulation clicks. Just listen to the template preset "Sync Env".
There is something very wrong as i hear it. It sound quantized instead of a smooth transistion. The higher the note the easier to hear.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines