March 28, 2024, 03:26:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Samples recorded way too hot  (Read 1835 times)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Samples recorded way too hot
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:29 am »
Hi,

I've noticed with recent sound expansion packs that a lot of sounds from the kits are way to hot, they red line the PPM's and meters in pro tools at under 0dB.
A lot of the earlier kits were ok, some were hot but most were saved with master volume over 0dB which you just zero and re-save. The samples however were mostly recorded at sensible levels.

The latest free down tempo kit on the site goes way into the red even with the obligatory comps and EQ's turned off. Do Arturia adhere to any PPM or loudness standard or is it just released when it sounds nice? Putting these kits in pro tools really drives the needles way over where they should go and could damage gear if people aren't aware of this.

We like lots of headroom, yes but can we have things recorded at sensible levels please as a lot of kits are unusable as they are.

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Re: Samples recorded way too hot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:23:59 pm »
I'm getting this too on some factory samples, especially on the down tempo addition. You can hear the crackly digital overage distortion, as well as see it on the waveform. Not much you can do about that.....

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Re: Samples recorded way too hot
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:19 pm »
It's not crackly or distorted, it's just too much gain. They've been recored that way, with too much input. I have to set Spark at between -14 and -8db in order to get them not to spike my console.

A lot of this is to do with the compression on some kits, but even with nothing on the sound, they are hot. 

Yes, it's the way it is. Weird tho right?

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7