March 29, 2024, 01:38:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync Keystep with the DAW without starting the seq/arp  (Read 32975 times)

eduds

Sync Keystep with the DAW without starting the seq/arp
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:04:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

When I press play in Ableton Live this appearing to be sending an start/stop message to the Keystep so if I play the Keystep it sound arpeggiated in order to play like a normal piano, I have to press stop in the Keystep. I Have to do this everytime I press play in Ableton Live in order to play like with a normal piano.(no arp or sequence behaviour)

The "midi control center" doesn't seem to have an option for disabling the Keystep for reciebing this "start/stop message". I can't find this in ableton neither.

juno106

Re: Sync Keystep with the DAW without starting the seq/arp
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:47:03 pm »
I found a workaround for this. 
Create a blank sequence using the midi control software and save

Then use the kbd play function (shift oct+)

Keep the keystep in sequence mode

You can then play the keystep normally even with its internal sequencer playing.

I do wish that the arp/sequence mode could be switched off though

theruins

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
Are you sure there isn't a way to prevent this?
Unbelievable :o

I really need this feature, seems unusable to me with my current setup where I need USB sync but don't want to always have the arp/seq running....

EDIT: I guess I could just turn the sync on off whenever I want to use the arp...but seems like a pain to me...but "unusable" was a bit harsh ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:04:40 pm by theruins »

kabubi

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
Same problem here, and it's really f*****g annoying
I tried different setup in ableton's midi I/O preferences, but nothing helped   ???
Nothing in midi control center either...hopefully with a firmware revision....

leverkusen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:02:37 pm »
Yes, this is really annoying! I'd like to decide by the buttons on the keystep  when I want to play arpeggios and when not...

Would be great if there was someone from the company explaining what to do here?

MR79

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 01:10:38 am »
Same here!! Don't want to have the seq or arp starting everytime I start Ableton!!! Please Arturia can we have answer??

And also I don't understand why the play/stop buttons of the Keystep doesn't work with Ableton?? I set the transport to MMC in the MCC but not working.... It's working perfectly with my Beatstep!!!

Is it because there is no midi script already available for the Keystep in Ableton? Because I can't find the Keystep in the list ot the surface controls in midi pref of Ableton.....

Thanks for answers!

kfunk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 12:35:22 am »
Anybody found a fix for this yet? I noticed putting it in Arp mode at least prevents the internal sequence from playing, but you still have to press the stop button before the Abelton sequence plays.

kabubi

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:00 am »
still waiting for a solution....

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 02:24:17 am »
This is what any device with sequencer does when it receives a start message.  If you disable that function then you will disable the sequencers ability to synchronise to a master and you will have to rely on your sense of timing to start it on beat.

Like mentioned by someone earlier, if you don't want it to send data when you hit start, put it in Arpeggio (stopped) mode at those times.  If you have a chord stored in your argeggiator you don't remember the notes of, then turn down the instrument that is being played by it.

Another solution is to record the clock signal out of your Keystep, then create a loop of it on one of your DAW channels.  Send that channel to the Keystep clock sync input and sync it via clock (or get device with clock sync out).  Now unless you press play on the Keystep before you press play in Ableton Live (or the master sync device), it won't start.  This will let you experience the fun of forgetting to press play before starting the main sequencer.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

ChitownTim

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:07:16 pm »
The KeyStep arpeggiator starts itself even without receiving a start message.  I know this is true because even though I disabled MIDI MMC play/stop messages being sent by my MPC2000, the KeyStep arpeggiator still takes off on its own.  What causes the KeyStep to start itself is the receipt of MIDI timecode.

Arturia really needs to make this a configurable option.  Most of the time I just want to key in a melody, but if the arpeggiator has started itself, it chops up what I play unless I remember to hit the KeyStep stop button.  It's a pain.

polyana

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
MIDI MMC has nothing to do with MIDI Clock. Try disabling the transmission of MIDI Clock from your IPC.

ChitownTim

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 06:53:15 pm »
I don't want to disable MIDI clock.  We all need the clock signal to keep the arpeggiator and sequencer in the Keystep in sync with the source (a DAW or an MPC in my case).  But Arturia (maybe as an unintentional oversight) designed the Keystep to start the arpeggiator/sequencer upon receipt of MIDI clock.

It would be nice if Arturia programmed the Keystep's arpeggiator to actually start with MMC instead of MIDI clock. 

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 06:03:18 am »
ChitownTim, you must be sending play/stop messages from another source onto the Keystep as it won't start if it doesn't receive a start message.  I have set up my MIDI path so that the Keystep is constantly receiving (and sending) MIDI timing.  It starts when I press play on another sequencer or if I press play on it.  If I don't want it to keep starting when I press play on a sequencer up stream from it, I need to filter realtime messages from the MIDI signal, which would mean no MIDI sync for the Keystep or anything between it and the filtering device.

Oh yeah, my MV8000 has the capacity to start, pause, continue, stop via MMC, but you know what?  It doesn't do it.  Not a single thing I own that can run on MMC will work properly using only MMC.  Not the QY-700, not the MV8000 and not the E-MU e5000 ultra.  When I first got the E-MU, a friend who was running a DAW mentioned that MMC is really for controlling things other than instruments as it doesn't send synchronisation data.  It's a waste of bandwidth to use send it to anything other than a multitrack, he reckoned.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

kfunk

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 03:46:18 am »
I found a solution with this in Ableton in the preferences in the link MIDI section in the Midi ports area,make sure the Sync is set to off for the Output row for the KeyStep. Once I turned this off the keystep starts as expected when pressing the play button. I hope this works for others.

OralB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:50 am »
has this been fixed yet?  ???

i just bought a keystep presuming this problem would have been fixed by now :(

arturia need to add an option to the software "receive clock without starting arp/sequencer" to the software.

arturia please add this -- this is very frustrating :(

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines