February 26, 2020, 10:20:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync Keystep with the DAW without starting the seq/arp  (Read 16213 times)

Randolfenstein

Re: Sync Keystep with the DAW without starting the seq/arp
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
Ok, so using my DAW, I have a MIDI clock going to a hardware MIDI output, to a 5 way splitter, and each split goes to a different Controller/Synth daisy chain. For example, from the splitter, I have a daisy chain of Octatrack to RYTM to Machinedrum. This daisy chain never fails. Elektron have this down. Arturia, on the other chain, do not yet have this area fully developed.

On another split, I have a daisy chain of the KEYSTEP to Beatstep Pro to OP-1. The Beatstep acts as an external sequencer (soon to be replaced by a Squarp Pyramid), live-capturing whatever I play on the KEYSTEP, and pumping it into the OP-1, in full looping glory. I enable and disable recording on the Beatstep Pro and control patterns to decide what gets looped, and what simply passed straight through to the OP-1.

Press play on DAW, and the elektrons do all their stuff perfectly, and and the KEYSTEP starts with the Beatstep Pro with the OP-1, all wonderfully. You know what Iím about to say. Anything I play on the KEYSTEP will be processed by the arpeggiator or sequencer. I want the OP-1 to be able to play ARPREGGIOS AND tasteful musical ideas, on and off. The goal is to be able to switch between ARPEGGIOS and natural playing, and back to ARPEGGIOS, when ever I see musically best. Currently, the chain starts just fine if all I want is arpeggios, and to switch to natural playing, (we all know) I hit the stop button on the KEYSTEP, and yes, I can then play naturally. But that stop message is forwarded down the MIDI chain to the Beatstep and the OP-1.

Guys at Arturia, I donít imagine it to be too hard to find a way to work around this hindrance. How about a shift command that disengages the ARP/SEQ engine alone, leaving the sync flow untouched.

Letís assume this issue isnít fixed. I can solve the sync problem with the splitter, doing parallel sync to the OP-1 through my OP-Lab, already in use as a MIDI host, to the OP-1. I press play on the DAW, and then eventually I press stop on the KEYSTEP, to move to natural playing, but when the time comes to nails some dreamy arpeggios perfectly to the Elektron gear, nope, sorry folks. The KEYSTEP manual play will not resume locked to the sync. Couldnít we (arturia techs) get the play button quantized to the incoming sync signal, since it is hardwired with the rear switches to be syncíd to the incoming clock? Only a robot could hit that play button perfectly enough to get the arps back into perfect sync.

mbm

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 11:41:16 pm »
Echo above. Keyboard is really anoying to use without option to disable ARP/SEQ.

Shift+midich1 key + midich3 key: Disable. Shift+midich1 + midich5 key: Enable. Cant be difficult to upgraede in firmware.

It is an awesome keyboard - a modern version of the classic simple Roland PC180e.

Please  ;D

fhooper

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:07 am »
Hi, +1 on this request if possible please.

Brainstorming here, anyone know if there's a way to record a blank SEQ so that even when I hit play on the Keystep it plays all "rests" or nothing at all or could I put in ARP mode and have some sort of blank or stopped setting somewhere? I just bought the keystep so I'm pretty new.

I'm basically using the Keystep as a small midi controller connected via midi to a Ju-06 boutique, and it's USB to DAW (Logic) to try and use the Keysteps play/stop buttons to control Logic's transport (off stage). Could I not just use the Keystep as a compact midi controller (sending MIDI to outboard synth) with transport control being used to start\stop a DAW at the same time without starting a seq\arp?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:13:27 am by fhooper »

megamarkd

• GAS BAGGER
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 02:27:44 am »
Hi, +1 on this request if possible please.

Brainstorming here, anyone know if there's a way to record a blank SEQ so that even when I hit play on the Keystep it plays all "rests" or nothing at all or could I put in ARP mode and have some sort of blank or stopped setting somewhere? I just bought the keystep so I'm pretty new.

I'm basically using the Keystep as a small midi controller connected via midi to a Ju-06 boutique, and it's USB to DAW (Logic) to try and use the Keysteps play/stop buttons to control Logic's transport (off stage). Could I not just use the Keystep as a compact midi controller (sending MIDI to outboard synth) with transport control being used to start\stop a DAW at the same time without starting a seq\arp?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Hit record, enter one rest, press stop.  You now have a one-step blank sequence.
Currently running synths from Waldorf and Arturia, Drumsynths from Korg, MAM and IK Multimedia, sequencing it all with Arturia's looping steppers, mixing and recording it all with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Mattog

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »
Hold down the shift key on the Keystep when starting the controlling device. Not ideal but it works when I slave from my MPC Live.

landrvr1

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 09:36:35 pm »
Holding down the Shift button when hitting the play button in Ableton works well.  Another method: On the KeyStep, hold down Shift and pick another MIDI channel based on the blue numbers above the keys on the left - then hit the Play button in Ableton.  When you are ready, hold down Shift again and select the key with the proper MIDI channel you've already set on the track in Ableton (which means you can't leave the track MIDI as 'all ins'.  Similar to the first method, since the clock signal is already being sent to the KeyStep it doesn't matter when you select your proper MIDI channel - everything will automagically be in time to the Ableton sync.  For seamless play, you'll just want to tap the MIDI channel key at the top of your bar...

raw

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 08:04:52 am »
2020. just bought this. had no idea the arp would keep running. *sigh

Can't they patch this in?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines