April 24, 2024, 10:09:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Upper limit for Pitch CV out (or a way to limit pitch range)  (Read 2293 times)

hyperscientist

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Upper limit for Pitch CV out (or a way to limit pitch range)
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »
Hello dear developer! First, thank you for this great product - I love it more with each passing hour :)

I'm trying to connect KeyStep with Moog Minitaur through CV. Mod and Gate outputs are easily configurable to a Moog spec, but there's a slight problem with the pitch.

Basically I'm trying to configure KeyStep to only send notes between C0 and C5 and voltages from 0V to 5V.

Minitaur accepts 0..5V range, 1V/octave (it only plays notes up to C5) and it is explicitly advised against supplying negative voltage or voltage higher than 5V to Moog CV inputs.

It is now possible to set 0V MIDI Note to C0 correctly, but there is no way to limit it upwards.

In order not to break Minitaur we would have to never play notes higher than C5 which seems fine in theory, but in practice… accidents happen, especially in creative setting or when we sequencer, arps, pitch mod etc. Very easy to go past the limit and thus shoot more than 5V.

Now… It is of course possible to build such voltage limiter and put it between KeyStep and Minitaur, but it's really a non trivial solution. Also, I didn't found any of the shelf solution in the market.

It seems that software solution would be much simpler and fool/accident-proof.

One last question: What happens if I set 0V MIDI Note to C0 and play lower notes, like C-1? Will the voltage be negative or still 0?

If it's still 0 than that's exactly what would be great to have for the upper limit too! Just one more dropdown in MIDI Control Center :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:07:45 pm by hyperscientist »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines