April 25, 2024, 09:13:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to combine legato and tied notes (like in example in manual)  (Read 2429 times)

hyperscientist

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I'm trying to follow "5.2.1.3 Legato notes" section and I feel like it's impossible to enter notes from that example properly.

In 4/4 time how do I enter two legato notes but tie the second one to make it into a half note? Basically I want to recreate second bar of the example, so: quarter note legato with half note and then separate quarter note.

Could someone describe it all for me step by step? at least those three notes from second bar. It seems completely impossible :)

I am supposed to hold tap for the the whole time as I am entering legato notes, but at the same time I am supposed to press tap/tie twice to make it into a half note. Seems like it's impossible?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:06:57 pm by hyperscientist »

seesterne

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to combine legato and tied notes (like in example in manual)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:02:05 am »
Hello,

you do not have to hold Tap the whole time / from the beginning of the note.

The Tap Button ties the note to the previous step set before.

Hold the Tap button from the second step of the note. Keep holding the Tap button than as you wish.

In other words:

If you count the length of your quarter note, you must hold the Tap button three times (omit the first step), not four times.

hyperscientist

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to combine legato and tied notes (like in example in manual)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:43:40 pm »
Thank you very much seesterne! I didn't exactly understand your description but it definitely put me on the right path (especially the first sentence) and I can now easily input that musical phrase from the example.

It seems that tying a note with different pitch basically makes it a legato and the "holding tap" technique is just a shortcut to enter many tied notes without having to tie each new note to the previous one.

It seems though that one thing is impossible though: to input multiple notes of the same pitch and make them play legato. No matter the technique to input those notes it will always be one tied note.

For example:
Code: [Select]
1. press Record to start recording
2. press C, press Rec
3. press D, press Rec
4. press and hold Tap
5. press E then F then G then G then G then A then B
6. release Tap
7. press Stop to stop recording

It is supposed to play C and then D E F G G G A B legato style. One would expect to hear G three times (legato) since tap hold is a technique to enter legato notes and not ties but instead it's one long tied note.

What do developers think?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:45:35 pm by hyperscientist »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines