April 18, 2024, 03:19:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Convert Logic user presets from V4 to V5.  (Read 2007 times)

siber

Convert Logic user presets from V4 to V5.
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
I recently upgraded from V collection V4 collection to V5 collection and now all the logic pro user presets which i spent months creating can't be used in latest V5 version of instruments. Is there a way to convert them? Arturia's preset converter doesn't appear to be able to convert V4 logic user presets unfortunately.

jeffbart

Re: Convert Logic user presets from V4 to V5.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:02:15 am »
Are you able to open the project and save the preset within the plugin (and then use preset converter)?
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

LBH

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »
I recently upgraded from V collection V4 collection to V5 collection and now all the logic pro user presets which i spent months creating can't be used in latest V5 version of instruments. Is there a way to convert them? Arturia's preset converter doesn't appear to be able to convert V4 logic user presets unfortunately.

When you say Logic preset, then  assume it's a speciel preset within Logic. If so, then i will belive that preset is pointing at your VC4 plug-in and the data used in those. Or what?

Arturia can not be responsible for creating preset converters for all functions all DAWs offers.

I will think you can do 2 things:
1. Re-install your VC4 alongside VC5 and use VC4 plug-ins in old projects where you still use them.
2. Re-install your VC4 alongside VC5 - or at least have your VC4 presets on your computer - then convert the VC4 presets for use in VC5 - then replace your VC4 plug-ins in your old Logic Projects and save as new preset in Logic.
Just remember, that VC4 preset may not sound the same in VC5 and also that you may have to re-mix your old Logic Projects if you re-place VC4 plu-ins with VC5 plug-ins.

There is a 3rd option.
3. Re-install your VC4 and bounce the VC4 tracks to audio. Then you don't need the plug-in.
You can convert your VC4 presets for VC5 use also using this option.

Using option 2-3 you can remove VC4 afterwards if you only wan't to use VC5 in the future. Just remember there is a sound difference.

One can say, that the only solution there is in the long run, is to create audio tracks and stem out when a project is finished. You can't be sure to have every plug-in at all time. Operation systems are developing all the time and plug-ins are discontinuet - and you can un-install used plug-ins like you have done now - and sometimes perhaps not having them anymore.

I still think VC4 should be bug-fixed for known bugs as else it's to be considered as fully not supported discontinuet products. VC4 is not old. It should be possible to keep on use it some years. They are paid for.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:26:24 pm by LBH »

jeffbart

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:21:00 am »
I assumed the V4 and the V5 were both installed and the Logic project would open the V4 plugin...then explicitly save as a preset in the V4 plugin..then preset converter to V5  - equivalent to LBH's suggestion #2 taking into account one can edit a plugin sound in Logic without having saved it in the plugin (and only saved its current state in the Logic project).

And as LBH points out, when presets get converted they may not always get done 100% correctly, or sound identical. I found some parameters got messed up on conversion (Modular Moog chorus levels, ARP2600 feet setting)  and I needed to A-B check/tweak the new against the old.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:53:36 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines