April 18, 2024, 10:48:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Newbie help in configuring MiniLab pads  (Read 12123 times)

Brixton

• Apprentice
Newbie help in configuring MiniLab pads
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:20:19 am »
Hello! I'm a complete novice to the MiniLab which I've had for just over a month(and love). I am however confused by the pad configuration. I'd like to assign some drum sounds to them. I've read the Midi Control Centre and MiniLab manuals closely and the best I could manage was getting the first two pads to make NO sounds!
Right now they are playing an ascending scale of single notes (factory presets I assume). I click on the pad I want to change in MCC and from the MiniLab manual 5.1.3.3. see that I want to change the CC number to 38 which corresponds to Snare. Took a while to figure out I needed to be in 'switched control' Mode in order to see the CC number box (I thought I needed to stay in 'Midi Note' mode, but there was no CC Number box visible, only the run of musical notes to select there).
At any rate, I saved the new setting as a template but it makes zero sound. The other pads make the sounds they had from the beginning.
It also looks like the layout of Midi Control Centre has changed, which doesn't help...I'm also wondering about the 'Drag' prompt that comes up when you mouse over the templates under 'Factory' or 'User' Templates. Drag to where, and what will that do? Couldn't find any info on this.
Appreciate any help for this newb!! I otherwise LOVE the MiniLab.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Re: Newbie help in configuring MiniLab pads
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:42 am »
Hi there.
Okay, so first off, the MiniLab doesn't itself make any sounds, but I'm sure you know that. For the pads to make drum sounds, they have to control some sort of drum synth or something.
This is pretty easy to do, really.
Basically, in MCC, set all the pads to a specific MIDI channel. I personally use channel 10. Then you set the range of notes for the pad.
For instance, on mine Pad 1 is set to: Mode - MIDI Note, Note - C1, Option - Gate, Channel - 10. Then Pad 8 is all the same, except Note is G1.
HOWEVER! The note range needed depends on the instrument. You just have to discover that range, which is really just fiddling about playing thru note ranges somehow until you find the drum sounds. You find the specific sound you want (in the instrument), and map that note to your desired pad in MCC.
It's then important to set that instrument to receive MIDI only the the channel the pads are set too, and make sure it's armed or whatever in you DAW (or however you're working) so you can hear that instrumtent.
The rest of the keyboard will stay in whatever MIDI channel you tell it too; either by what you set in MCC or by using the Shift+keys to switch MIDI channel. And if you switch the MIDI channel of the keyboard, the pads remain on their own set channel.
So essentially you're technically playing multiple synths at the same time from one controller.
I hope I explained that sensibly enough. Good luck and have fun. :)

EDIT: OH!, and section 5.1.3.3 in the manual is just talking about General MIDI notes, but you'd still need a synth to receive that signal for any sounds to play. ... Yes, the manual is outdated.
Also, sorry, can't help with the Drag thing. I'd not noticed that my own self.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:57:55 am by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

Brixton

• Apprentice
Re: Newbie help in configuring MiniLab pads
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:27:46 am »
Thank you SO much for this detailed reply Artao! I'm out of town right now but will let you know how this goes. Very clear and makes sense to me.  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines