March 29, 2024, 05:07:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I need help moving presets to another computer...  (Read 17224 times)

zmix

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I need help moving presets to another computer...
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
I just got a new computer and rather than migrate everything from my old system ( and risk importing various configuration issues) I decided to do a clean install of everything.

It has been a long and painful process, but everything is working really well.

I'd like to be able to move all of my Arturia V Collection presets to the new system without having to use the Export/Import function of each instrument, as this would require rebooting into the old computer's OS and manually saving the various banks (and there are a lot of them on my system).

Where are the preset files (or enclosing documents) actually located in OSX?

Thanks for your help...

Johnbarnesiii

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: I need help moving presets to another computer...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:28:49 pm »
Hi, I have the same question. I just saved around 70 of my favorite presets after going through over 5000 sounds. I put these 70 favorites into a custom-named sound bank for easy access. Now I simply want to transfer those over to my other computer so that both ProTools rigs have matching preset favorites. But I can't see where on my hard drive they exist! Did you ever figure it out?? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:31:16 pm by Johnbarnesiii »

LBH

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
Yes it looks like preset handling is complicated, unless we have overlooked something. This looks like it's a major weakness in a preset system that beside this seems very powerful.
Arturia can you please explain both how to handle presets, banks, playlists and favorites on both Windows and OSX - both when using a single and multiple computers and when using both Analog Lab 2 and the individual synths and keys?
Where are the informations stored now?
Please create a system where things like this is easy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:35:26 pm by LBH »

zmix

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »
From Arturia:

"in OSX, you'll find the presets in

\library\arturia\presets\

inside it you'll find a folder for each instrument, and one folder called " factory edit" (this one is to store factory presets tagged as favorite). Inside each folder you have a "factory" folder and a "user" folder."

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:11 pm »
From Arturia:

"in OSX, you'll find the presets in

\library\arturia\presets\

inside it you'll find a folder for each instrument, and one folder called " factory edit" (this one is to store factory presets tagged as favorite). Inside each folder you have a "factory" folder and a "user" folder."

I recommend copying/pasting from this folder to a flash drive each time you update/add presets too. 
This way, you can go between the desktop to the laptop or other desktops seamlessly so long as the application is installed. 
I've done this with my POD HD500X presets for years, in case mine went down & ever had to rent one for a gig.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

LBH

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:58:30 pm »
I use windows.
In VC4 presets is found in ProgramData. But in VC5 i can not find any presets in the user folder in ProgramData.
I can only find NI NKS presets.

And i only have a single plug-in playlist that i dont know if it contains all playlists or any at all. What do this file contain? Replacing that file is no good, as you can have created different playlists on the computers. How to make them match on all computeres?

Favorites are not to be found anywhere.

Using windows search don't find more.

If you can find all that in Mac OS then you'r lucky.

Off coarse i can export and import my banks/ presets individually like the OP wanted to avoid. And i can add that if i export my banks and import the banks on another computer, then the favorites in the bank are still marked favorites on the second computer. But there is no data on playlists in the imported banks.
And i still can't find anything in a user folder that show what's the applications content.
So i wonder where the data are stored when i just save inside the application and not doing a export. I guess they must be somewhere. I also wan't to know where Arturias presets are.
So i still need the info i asked for. Also because i make backups of my things. So i need to know where to find the files.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:04:53 pm by LBH »

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:43:34 am »
I used to use Windows up until a year ago, and I had all of my presets in a specific folder there too.

If you can remember any file names, just take the time for Windows Explorer to search for them, then you should be able to find the file path.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:08:09 pm »
Hi everyone , sorry for the general delay for answering here, due to summer period, less people, more work !

Zmix already posted here what i told him about preset handling in osx.

But for windows users , it goes like this :

- go in c:\programdata\arturia\presets ( note that programdata folder is default hidden, you have to change settings for this, feel free to ask if needed)

For favorite user presets, this info is locked inside the preset itself.
For playlists, all infos are locked inside plugin.playlist.xml, located in programdata\arturia\instrument\user

hope it's clearer for you all .
best,

LBH

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »
Hi everyone , sorry for the general delay for answering here, due to summer period, less people, more work !

Zmix already posted here what i told him about preset handling in osx.

But for windows users , it goes like this :

- go in c:\programdata\arturia\presets ( note that programdata folder is default hidden, you have to change settings for this, feel free to ask if needed)

For favorite user presets, this info is locked inside the preset itself.
For playlists, all infos are locked inside plugin.playlist.xml, located in programdata\arturia\instrument\user

hope it's clearer for you all .
best,

Hi Germain,

Thaks for your reply.

Regarding Windows.

1. Yes i had overlooked the new "presets" folder on c:\programdata\arturia\presets .
It's there. That's good.

2. I had also overlookedI the new "factory edit" folder. It's there. That's good.
But for user presets are the favorite data like i guess stored with the presets in the "user" folder, just like when you use export/ import?

3. I do have a "user" folder that contain the "playlist" file. But how can i merge two or more "playlist" files into a single file- That's needed if you work on more computers at the same time. Will multiple playlist files be read if they are the folder using other names?

4. In general it's possible just to move those folders/ files between computers, and then everything will work without using eksport/ import procedure?

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:48:06 pm »
Re,

But for user presets are the favorite data like i guess stored with the presets in the "user" folder, just like when you use export/ import?

yes it is. for example i tagged a user preset as favorite in my wurli V2 on my windows OS. Then i went to programdata\arturia\presets\user\user to locate it. Then i copied it into same folder in my MAC OS . when i reopened the wurli in MAC. my preset was in the right place, tagged as favorite

I do have a "user" folder that contain the "playlist" file. But how can i merge two or more "playlist" files into a single file- That's needed if you work on more computers at the same time. Will multiple playlist files be read if they are the folder using other names?

every info is locked inside this plugin.playlist.xml. For example if you have done several playlists in Wurli, if you open \programdata\wurli v2\user\plugin.playlist.xml , you'll find ALL these playlists in this file. I did the same trick as above to "export" my windows wurli playlists on my MAC os, but it needs to replace the MAC os plugin.playlist.xml. Sure it would be better to have an "export playlist" function. We are aware of this missing feature, but can't say nothing more about it for now.

best,

LBH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:07 pm »
Hi Germain,

Thanks for clarifying.

Best

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines