March 28, 2024, 05:17:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: beatstep pro and Moogs... Any of them.  (Read 8653 times)

Novem808

beatstep pro and Moogs... Any of them.
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:16:33 am »
Arturia
'With BeatStep Pro you can connect to virtually any musical device within reach: computers, virtual instruments, modular synths, drum machines; anything with USB, MIDI in and out, CV/Gate outputs, Clock in and out, or DIN sync. From the oldest music technology to the newest and beyond, BeatStep Pro is bound to become the centerpiece of your setup and the heart of your creative efforts for many years to come."

Ok, I just have a few problems..maybe some of you do as well!

I bought the BSP because it seems to be what a lot of beat makers who are looking to get OTB, are looking for..except it's not. I have a Moog Sub 37, Minitaur, and a borrowed Model d as far as CV gear goes. I'm thinking great, I can use CV..but no the BSP does not attenuate voltage (like it should if it's going to make a broad statement in the first paragraph). I could use midi on two of these, but the BSP only has 1 midi out. Really only one midi out? You can't configure the DIN out port to be a secondary midi out..no? So I have to use a 3.5mm splitter jack, hmm..not really feeling the " control anything midi, CV, etc vibe now. I also see that now if someone buys a BSP they get a grip of CV cables. That's pretty cool, even though mine was bought a couple months ago..so Arturia is telling me to get bent? Ok if that's your business model, but I would have sent a email to my customers and said hey..we appreciate you buying the BSP, we're going to send you some cables..cool.

I have a better idea. Since you know that Moogs don't work on the BSP unless you had maybe cables from Arturia that were attenuated to work on Moogs voltage scale ( Moog is not a really well known company are they?) that would go a long way to backup your statement you (Arturia) made in the first paragraph. Oh, and maybe make the DIN port able to be used as a second midi out..or maybe the midi in as a output in the software options.

I don't mean to rant, and I really do like Arturia gear. Maybe change a few things in the BSP, or the wording in you product description..because right now the model d is not working at all, I can't figure it out yet but it can't be the BSP right? Hmm?

Love,

N.

roro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: beatstep pro and Moogs... Any of them.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »
Somehow you're right about the 10V BSP uses. Allthough it is not that uncommon to use "external" attenuators with analogue gear.

Moog and Roland use around 5V and while it may seem to work OK for a long time, you will damage your gear (on the long run) with the 10V the BSP delivers.

With that in mind, maybe Arturia should consider to target their marketing a bit more accurate. Or offer a solution.

Robert
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:20:03 pm by roro »

papoon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:32:48 pm »
I was dissapointed when i heard about the Moog compatibility issue. Just as an alternative you could get a midi splitter box to solve your issue. I am using one were I go midi out from BSP to midi in on the box which then has 3 outputs that feed my gear. The box does not need power just plug and play. Not sure if i am aloud to specify brand name here but it is easy to find with google.

ARNK

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 02:59:04 am »
I was dissapointed when i heard about the Moog compatibility issue. Just as an alternative you could get a midi splitter box to solve your issue. I am using one were I go midi out from BSP to midi in on the box which then has 3 outputs that feed my gear. The box does not need power just plug and play. Not sure if i am aloud to specify brand name here but it is easy to find with google.

Hey Papoon, which midi splitter box are you using? Can you elaborate on this as far as voltage is concerned? I'm using my BSP with Moog Mother-32s and a Minitaur, I don't want to cause any damage as mentioned by Robert. Also, can Robert or others chime in on the possibility of the voltage damaging our hardware? To think that the engineers at Arturia wouldn't consider this fact would be quite ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:05:21 am by ARNK »

papoon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:23:32 pm »
Hi
I am using the "Midi Solutions Quadra Thru"

midi out to- in of Quadra then the Quadra has 4 outs, very useful little device.

As far as I know when using midi, voltage will not be and issue between the BSP and Moogs, it is the cv or control voltage option on the BSP that can be an issue as I understand it. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:27:37 pm by papoon »

yield27

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »
I am now using these cheap china headphone attenuators on my two moog werkstatts with the BSP for CV connections. I am optimistic about using them because now I am sending voltages of 5v and below. I was worried about frying the werkstatts boards for sure. Also with these split attenuators you can double your gate signal so that adds a new patch-ability.

I also have a mother 32 which has it's own issues over midi with the BSP. It has been a learning experience figuring out how, and which ways to use the BSP with the Mother 32 and werkstatts . There are issues that I am hoping get ironed out down the line.

When I am just jamming with the BSP and moogs and not fiddling with fixes or whatever, I have a real good time though.  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351678321723?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kandavu

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
I am now using these cheap china headphone attenuators on my two moog werkstatts with the BSP for CV connections. I am optimistic about using them because now I am sending voltages of 5v and below. I was worried about frying the werkstatts boards for sure. Also with these split attenuators you can double your gate signal so that adds a new patch-ability.

I also have a mother 32 which has it's own issues over midi with the BSP. It has been a learning experience figuring out how, and which ways to use the BSP with the Mother 32 and werkstatts . There are issues that I am hoping get ironed out down the line.

When I am just jamming with the BSP and moogs and not fiddling with fixes or whatever, I have a real good time though.  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351678321723?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for posting the eBay attenuator cable link yield27. Whereas I did occasionally use regular patch cables with the bsp cv outs and the mother-32 with interesting results, I'll opt to use the attenuator cables from here on in.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines