March 28, 2024, 05:51:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MCC can't sync with my new Keylab 88. "Failed to open device..."  (Read 5575 times)

nicoroy123

MIDI Control Center can't sync with my KL88. The error message I receive is  "Failed to open device. Please verify the device is not used my another application".

But there is no other application! I rebooted my computer, nothing is loaded. Now since MCC can't communicate, I can't update de firmware nor program anything...

I know that the USB-MIDI connection is good because as a test, I can use the KL88 in Kontakt or Cubase without issues.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Windows10 64bits
MCC 1.3.1.667

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:18:16 am by nicoroy123 »

nicoroy123

Re: MCC can't sync with my new Keylab 88. "Failed to open device..."
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
OK I found the solution!!

I realised that I have other problems with some other application as well, not being able to communicate with my KL88 like Synthesia and MIDI OX.

So I found this page and it has fixed the problem for me. I assume it could be a fix for some other Arturia products having SYNC problems.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202552630-Fixing-an-Undefined-External-Error-in-MIDI-OX

Steps to follow:
1.    Hold down Windows key and press the letter "R". This will open the Run window. Type in "regedit" and press enter to open the Registry Editor.
2.    Press CTRL + F on the keyboard to open the search window. Copy and paste the following key in the “Find what” field, Ensure that there are no spaces leading or following the key: 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

3.    You can confirm that the search has located the correct key because the "(Default)" value shows as "Sound, video and game controllers", also the "Class" will show as "MEDIA". If you haven't located the correct keydo not change any entries.

4.    Right-click in the right hand pane in the blank space underneath the data and select "New" >  select "Multi-String Value".
5.    Right-Click on "New Value" and select "Rename". Type in: UpperFilters  (case-sensitive, all 1 word).
6.    Next, double-click UpperFilters and under "Value data:" type in: ksthunk (case-sensitive, all 1 word). Now click OK.

7.    Click File > Exit to close the Registry Editor. Try and connect your MIDI device to the software again.

pachyderm

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »
I followed these instructions but this didn't work for me. I still get this error in MCC when I connect my KeyLab mkII: "Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application." Any other ideas?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:39:34 pm »
Try a different USB cable. If you're using it through a USB hub as I am, try using it plugged straight into your PC.You'd think these things shouldn't make any difference, but they can. Shame MCC doesn't tell you what app it thinks already has exclusive access to the KL88; might have helped with diagnosing the cause.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

pachyderm

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 08:38:20 am »
I'm going straight into one of the USB ports on my motherboard. I also tried a different port, as well as a different cable. No luck. I've been dealing with Arturia support and they don't seem to have any ideas either.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
Unfortunately it looks like something you won't effectively diagnose without trying your controller on a different computer. There is a fault somewhere which makes your computer think the device is in use, but it could be the computer or the controller.

Have you tried doing a hardware reset on the controller? Hold the octave + and - buttons down at the same time then switch it on. Should return the controller to factory settings, which may not work but has to be worth a try.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

pachyderm

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:27 pm »
I tried doing a hardware reset, but that didn't work. I was able to get the controller working on a different computer easily, so the problem is definitely with my main computer. Still no idea what it could be, though.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines