March 28, 2024, 03:44:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Im i the only one that has volume issue from V4 to V5? low volume/ Thin sounds.  (Read 4088 times)

boywonder

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I have both v4 and v5 installed and i open the same instruments and patch and v5 volume is often very very low in comparison to v4 instruments.. Its to the annoying point where i have to turn up the volume for every patch on v5 istruments. The sounds are so thin in comparison as well. Im really disappointed in it because of that. I suppose if you're using it in a daw, you can drop in a gain plugin and adjust it that way..but why should that be an option? why cant the sounds just be full and appropriately adjusted volume wise oout of the box?

perhaps its just me.

Another issue i have.. If i pull up say Mini v3 and mini v2..and i choose mini v2 to only listen to midi coming from channel 15 and mini v3 to listen to channel 16, when i change the patch on v2, the midi channel selection stays the same...but if change the patch on v3, it resets the midi channel back to all. Again..very annoying.

Karamba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I have both v4 and v5 installed and i open the same instruments and patch and v5 volume is often very very low in comparison to v4 instruments.. Its to the annoying point where i have to turn up the volume for every patch on v5 istruments. The sounds are so thin in comparison as well. Im really disappointed in it because of that. I suppose if you're using it in a daw, you can drop in a gain plugin and adjust it that way..but why should that be an option? why cant the sounds just be full and appropriately adjusted volume wise oout of the box?

perhaps its just me.

Another issue i have.. If i pull up say Mini v3 and mini v2..and i choose mini v2 to only listen to midi coming from channel 15 and mini v3 to listen to channel 16, when i change the patch on v2, the midi channel selection stays the same...but if change the patch on v3, it resets the midi channel back to all. Again..very annoying.

About the volume issues, which plugins are you referring to? I thought I had the same problem with Stage 73 and Wurlizer but trying again this morning it seems ok. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if the issue appears now and then after doing something unrelated. I suspect I might have tweaked the volume pedal by accident but I'm not sure ..

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
HI Boywonder, and welcome on this board.
As Karamba said above, could you please tell us names of plugins and presets where you find differences?

For the issue about midi channels , could you please provide some steps , in order for me to reproduce this issue well, and then investigate further ?
I don't understand it well for now.

Best,
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:45:49 pm by Germain.arturia »

boywonder

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
HI Boywonder, and welcome on this board.
As Karamba said above, could you please tell us names of plugins and presets where you find differences?

For the issue about midi channels , could you please provide some steps , in order for me to reproduce this issue well, and then investigate further ?
I don't understand it well for now.

Best,

here's a video i made about the midi channels. It has to be done in standalone. Open two vsts and say you want your keyboard to be split in two with one half playing at midi channel 16 (controlling mini v3) and the other half playing midi channel 16(controlling v2)...once you switch patch on the mini v3, it defaults back to midi channel : all. Instead of staying on the previous midi channel. Mini v2 does that well without changing

https://streamable.com/h90g

boywonder

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice

perhaps its just me.

About the volume issues, which plugins are you referring to? I thought I had the same problem with Stage 73 and Wurlizer but trying again this morning it seems ok. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if the issue appears now and then after doing something unrelated. I suspect I might have tweaked the volume pedal by accident but I'm not sure ..

ill post what im talking about shortly but i used mini v3 and v2 on the template patches. Since the sound collections are different..the only one i could find to compare was the template patches like the 3osc template for the bass.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re, thanks for your video. But it doesn't play. Tested on Firefox and microsoft edge...
is it just me?

Best,

boywonder

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re, thanks for your video. But it doesn't play. Tested on Firefox and microsoft edge...
is it just me?

Best,

no luck?

http://webm.land/media/8CQB.webm

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Hi boywonder,
yes i finally managed to watch it, thanks! ok, i'll investigate further about this behaviour, and i'll keep you aware.

best,

LBH

Hi,

About the volume.

Yes many sounds in VC5 are lower than in VC4. I actually find that good, as i really think VC4 often had to high output - way over 0 db sometimes. I still find the leveling between patches could be better. But i rather have a output that is a little to low, than one that blast my ears. Far to many softsynths had in my opinion a way to high output and is only high to make it seem like they sound better than they do just like when they use to much effects. I find to high output and to big variations in output between the presets very annoying and dangerous for my ears and my equiptment. Around -12 db on a digital level meter is for me a fine standard that allow some dynamic.
That's just my opinion.
Also it's clear that the output in VC5 can be way weaker using the same settings. Perhaps this also can be because the low end of the sound seems to be reduced - and that to much i think.

About the sound.

I also find the sound in VC5 in a way to be thiner. There is not so much low end, but the low end is to me more defined in the timbre. However i would encourage Arturia to look into if the low end is comming thru like it should. I feel like some body is missing. Especially in MINI V i have noticed it.
As there are so many bugs in VC5 i have'nt worked that much with the applications. So the jury is still out, if i think the sound is better or worse than in VC4 or not. I do belive at least some applications can have benfitted of the new sound and some have lost some of the soft character they need for some sounds. Perhaps i will like all applications, when they work. But i think there still is room for improovements. And i think Arturia could nail them all, if they put some passion and will into it.

I'm not sure if Arturia has gone to far away from emulating. For instance i have tried to recreate a factory preset from Jupiter 8 using the same setting as on the hardware synth. the parameters is far of. I feel this is also true for other applications. If i try to create a known sound from a patch sheet, then the parameters os far of. Again i shall fell like the application work to spend the needed time to be sure if i can make the sounds i wan't. It's possible i can, but the parameters are not like on the hardware.

I still use the old applications. And i will use them for old projects and sounds. I fell like VC5 is different. That's also why i think the VC4 applications should be bug fixed. Also because they are bought to be working.

I would like to hear what you mean by "thiner" sound?
To me MINI V has changed a lot in the sound. The Filter Emphasis and the Amount of contour has changed a lot. It's like the low end is'nt strong so sounds need body and also softness for that matter. So some of one side of the Minimoog character seem unfortunately to be reduced. But perhaps another side has been improoved. Not sure yet. But i would like to be able to produce the soft sounds anyway.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines