March 29, 2024, 05:15:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: midi to cv ableton live  (Read 9296 times)

beatstep

midi to cv ableton live
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:22:11 am »
hello guys
does anybody help me how can can ı send midi signal from ableton live to my modular synth . ı want use ableton as sequencer beatstep as midi to cv converter. I insert notes midi chanel one  and ı set input all instruments and ı set output as beatstep pro but nothing happen  . I am doing wrong somewhere  but ı couldnt find ,

rmri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: midi to cv ableton live
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:52:19 pm »
Here's how you do it:

Setup Ableton:
- connect the BSP to your computer
- go to Ableton Preferences -> MIDI Sync and in the Midi Ports table enable Track for the Arturia Beatstep Pro output (attachment picture 1)
- create a MIDI track in Ableton and set the output to Arturia Beatstep Pro and the channel to 1 (attachment picture 2)
- Create a MIDI sequence and add some notes to play

Setup the Beatstep Pro:
- set MIDI sync to internal (int), this is important, if the Beatstep Pro sequencer is also running, it will not forward MIDI-to-CV from external MIDI input
- Select sequencer 1
- set sequencer 1 MIDI channel to 1 (chan + step1)

Setup your CV hardware:
- connect sequencer 1 pitch/gate/volume CV outputs to your modular hardware
- it's a good idea to verify the connection by playing back a sequence from the Beatstep Pro directly.

If everything is fine your modular should be sequenced from Live by playing back the MIDI sequence.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:54:55 pm by rmri »

beatstep

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:50 pm »
nothing happen again:(
when ı insert notes to seq 1  it plays well,but when ı delete notes on bsp seq 1 and insert notes in ableton midi clip it doesnt play , my bsp works as standalone accorrding to your connection settings it still can not receice notes from ableton live and can not send notes to my modular. may be there is bug somewhere 
I use bsp with ableton live it works great except as midi to cv converter:(
ı also realize that when ı open bsp control center and instert notes in control center nothing happen 
anyway thank you

rmri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »

Make sure the Beatstep is not running when you start playback in Live.
You can achieve this by setting the Beatstep sync to INT.

This is the only way I was able to use it as a MIDI-to-CV converter.

hardmuncle

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:24:19 am »
Just to come back to this old thread, I'm looking at a beatsteppro to run my upcoming modular setup, I've been looking at midi-cv convertors but this seems like it might be about the best midi to CV I can get!

I have to ask though, when running it purely as a midi > CV convertor will I still be able to use the full 2 CV sequencer channels + 8 drum triggers?

Is it defo not possible to run the BSP pro Sequence 1 as a convertor and 2 with the internal sequencer?

If i bought a module that did Midi > CV it would only do one channel but this can do 2 + 8 triggers right?

Seems like a steal

Edit - Does this mean I can't output any clock from the BSP if i'm using it as a midi > CV convertor or is there a way to still output clock from Abelton through the BSP when sequencing from ableton if I have to put the BSP to internal mode?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:32:47 am by hardmuncle »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:09:34 am »
Download the manual and read it.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

hardmuncle

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 11:08:53 pm »
Thanks for your extremely helpful and timely response.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines