April 27, 2024, 02:17:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Driver Pulsewidth change octave on SAW wave. Is it correct?  (Read 1588 times)

LBH

Just realized there is something wrong going on with SAW waves and the Driver Pulsewidth parameter.
It looks like the SAW somehow morph sync like and somehow like using two oscilators from one octave to another using the Driver Pulsewidth parameter.
The octave is changing from one octave (the correct i think) when the pulsewidth is far left to a octave higher when the pulsewidth is far right and sound like two osc's in between.
It can be tried out on the template preset "Saw". Just turn the Drivers Pulsewidth. Also a scope can show what's going on.
I see in the manual that pulsewidth change has been added to the SAW wave. So is this behavior intended? It don't look like some pulsewidth behavior, more like a sync like thing. I would prefere a pulsewidth behavior. But If the current behavior is intended, then it's important to know when setting ranges using multiple wave in a driver section as when the pulswidth is far right the SAW will sound one octave higher than the other waveforms unless it's range is set a octave lower.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:31:31 am by LBH »

Karamba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Driver Pulsewidth change octave on SAW wave. Is it correct?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:41:33 pm »
I am also interested in knowing if the pulse width is supposed to influence Saw waves, I'm not sure I understand why it should be possible as I thought it was used mainly for square waves.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »
It's true that originally pulsewidth is only used for pulsewave. That's why it's called pulse - width.

However it's possible to add some effect to the waves. That i find good as long the original behavior can be obtained.

The old Modular V also had a effect on the triangle wave using the pulsewidth parameter. That's fine like it's fine other waveforms is influenced by the pulsewidth in some way.

My point is, that such effect - whatever it is - should not affect/ inwoke the pitch using the pulsewidth parameter, but only affect the form and sound of the waveform.

jeffbart

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:41:29 am »
The Saw and Tri osc waves both are affected by the pulse width control (as well as pulse wave). I noticed this and didn't think it was a fault, just something it did.

Similarly the VC LFO waveforms pulse, saw and tri are affected by the 'manual' width control. This I first thought was a bug because it often is set to '0' amount which makes the triangle sound like down sawtooth. On making some vibrato using tri wav it did very odd things ("That's the wrong shape!") until I fiddled with 'manual' to get the width to '.50' Then it was pure tri/vibrato.

If the width setting is affecting/moving the start of the wave cycle, then for Saw, at some point in the middle it will be double the frequency (two little saws..) and hence sound an octave up. I can't really be sure, with no oscilloscope but this is what it *sounds* like it's doing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:38:11 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

Tausendberg

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 01:11:51 pm »
Just want to chime in that I personally really like that the pulsewidth control affects triangle and saw waves. You can still get authentic behavior by simply not using the Pulse Width control while it gives you more sonic possibilities. I personally really like the sounds of the saw and triangle waves modulated by Arturia's invention.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines