March 29, 2024, 01:09:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Have things changed substantially in V3?  (Read 6980 times)

Tausendberg

Have things changed substantially in V3?
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:28 pm »
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-prophet-v

So, I found this review of the Prophet V from 2006 and I wanted to know if there have been improvements made to make the emulation closer to the original Prophet 5.

Two quotes in particular stand out for me...

"It's notoriously difficult to recreate analogue FM on a digital synth, because the vagaries of analogue oscillators are amplified when they are used in this way. The differences between my Prophet 10 and Prophet V are very noticeable. For example, when increasing the amplitude of Oscillator B's triangle wave when used as the Poly-Mod source for Oscillator A, the overriding effect in Prophet V is of the pitch dropping, whereas on the original it's of the pitch rising."

"selecting the sawtooth wave on Oscillator A on both the soft synth and the Upper synth of my Prophet 10, I played middle 'C' on both, and expected to hear an all-but-identical sound. To my surprise, I didn't. The original synth was noticeably brighter, the soft synth sounding just a little 'softer' than the original, and the difference was also clearly visible on an oscilloscope. The square waves and triangle waves were closer to the originals, but all three of the soft synth's waves sounded less bright than those generated by my Prophet 10."

I will say that Prophet V3, in my subjective opinion, does sound a little brighter, to the point that in one of my songs where I replaced the Prophet V2 with Prophet V3, I had to adjust my mix slightly to compensate for that.

Can anyone verify if the critiques in the 2006 review have been improved upon now that we're at Prophet V3?

waltercruz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Have things changed substantially in V3?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:29:24 pm »
I don't think that things changed too much, but since this review they changed a little ;)

Some things from changelog relevant to the sound:

Switching sawtooth in CC switch also triangle

No more artifacts when modulating the Pulse Width

No more distortion when mapping velocity to cutoff of Prophet 5
Switching from Mono to Poly now properly allocates voices
Setting modulation amount to zero has no effect on sound
The square waveform of the Prophet 5 sounds closer to the original instrument

So, things are slowly improving.

Shannock9

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:15:11 am »
Good morning - I'm considering buying Prophet V3.  My question relates to the 2006 review linked earlier.

"...the soft synth's white noise spectrum exhibits a marked fall-off above 5kHz, ending up almost 20dB down at 20kHz.  This is equivalent to placing a 10dB/octave low-pass filter across the output! If these results are a consequence of the filter emulation, rather than any significant differences in the spectra of the noise generators themselves, they might explain the cyclic waveforms' lack of brightness when compared with the originals."

Does Prophet V3 still roll off everything above 5kHz in this manner?   If so is there a good reason to so dull the sound?
Thank you

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:25:34 pm »
Good morning - I'm considering buying Prophet V3.  My question relates to the 2006 review linked earlier.

"...the soft synth's white noise spectrum exhibits a marked fall-off above 5kHz, ending up almost 20dB down at 20kHz.  This is equivalent to placing a 10dB/octave low-pass filter across the output! If these results are a consequence of the filter emulation, rather than any significant differences in the spectra of the noise generators themselves, they might explain the cyclic waveforms' lack of brightness when compared with the originals."

Does Prophet V3 still roll off everything above 5kHz in this manner?   If so is there a good reason to so dull the sound?
Thank you
I suggest you download Prophet V3 and run it in demo mode, compare it to how the original Prophet sound and judge for yourself.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines