April 26, 2024, 12:56:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 'Audio' and 'DC' labels. Do they have a use?  (Read 2754 times)

jeffbart

'Audio' and 'DC' labels. Do they have a use?
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:26 am »
Hi
What do the 'Audio and DC' labels refer to?
In the real 2600 they were switch options.

Do they have a use?

thanks jeff
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

corum_beasley

Re: 'Audio' and 'DC' labels. Do they have a use?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:41:58 pm »
I was just thinking today that the Audio /  DC labels look like there should have a switch in between them. Wonder if they forgot to put it in?

There are a few labelling mistakes in this version compared to the original Arp2600, there is no C label on the electroswitch or the reverb out socket is missing Out also the Volt. instead of Sust in the ADSR section.

All the best and thanks for the Zawinul bank!

LBH

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 01:53:52 pm »
Yes a DC/AUDIO switch is missing that's there on the original.
The labels in Arturias version has no relevans without the DC/AUDIO switch.

The original hardware synth manual describe the function.

jeffbart

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:55 am »
So that switch (which doesn't seem to exist in our ARP 2600 V) was a control for the ring modulator. It set if the signal inputs are AC coupled ('Audio') or DC coupled ('DC'). I have read the manual a few times, and feel I only understand the concept about 60%...so I enclose the pages of the manual (section 4.4) to whet your appetite. 8)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:24:55 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

LBH

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »
For me sound differences and possibilities is the important thing.

I'm not a technician. Even if or when i understand something technically i can't use it for much unless i can hear it.
So for me it's only technical to understand one setting include the original frequences in addition to the sum and difference frequences of the inputs. I still need to hear what it actually do for the sound, as that's what's important for me to understand or have a felling about to use it.

In the context ARP 2600 V we can say that the labels has no use as it is.
I would like to have the Audio/ DC Switch. Also because it's authentic. Just like i would like the Electro Switch connections to work both as inputs/ and outputs somehow just like in the original as this give more possibilities and for instance also can give more usage for the L/R inputs.

Labels that have no usage only give bad impression of the software.

Best

corum_beasley

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:18 pm »
Thanks JeffBart for the extracts from the manual they are an amazing resource..have you got the 2500 one too? I have that manual and the 1601 one too, i thought it would help me better understand our synth as the manual we got is not that helpful at times.

The exercises are very thorough and at times if you get distracted read like science papers. I don't have a problem with that as i studied the physics of sound and electronics at university, when we apply it to sound from a a synth it can explain a lot of things. As you say you understand about 60%, which is about what i understand you're not alone there it is a bit baffling eh?

From researching the way distortion effects for guitar pedals the harmonic content of an asymmetrical wave is very interesting and shifts more towards odd harmonic distortion where the asymmetrical as a mix but less volume. See http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/symmetrical-vs-asymmetrical-clipping.520950/.

If the ring modulator has a DC component , like DC offset we know and loathe it skew one half of the waveform into clipping leaving the other clean. So if we allow a DC offset we change the harmonics produced. So having a DC component / switch  would be desirable and allow us to produce some strange wave shape and unusual harmonics.

jeffbart

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:10:57 am »
yes, the switch would be desirable, especially after tantalising us by adding to the graphics!
And, as LBH points out you really have to hear what it's doing to make sense of it. The take-away from that manual for me was 'this switch will make something sound different"  :P
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines