April 20, 2024, 02:48:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Emulating the GX-1 on a multimanual organ console with bass pedals  (Read 2559 times)

eivind

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://home.no.net/eifi
Hello!

A couple of years ago I built a four manual organ console (pic below - solid oak, Doepfer MKE x4 ++ and Fatar keybeds - please do not laugh at the ugly organ bench made from Ikea furniture shelves ;D - the project is by no means finished, but it's very a playable organ console). I also bought a full AGO pedal set for it.

In reality it's only a giant four manual MIDI-controller with a full 32 set of pedals to go with it. I thought that the console might be ideal to work as a controller for a GX-1-like setup using the CS80V as sound source. The sound and voices of the GX-1 is one thing (thanks to all who post patches and stuff related to the GX-1!) - but I would like to play the thing in real-time - i.e. two polyphonic manuals, one solo-synth (the third manual) and the bass-pedal stuff. I would also look at the posibility of coupling manuals by MIDI-switching. All the 32 thumb pistons on my console send MIDI-messages. Later I will also add ten toe pistons and three volume pedals. 

I just bought the latest V-collection. My current DAW is Cubase 7.5 (no - I did not like the floating transparet GUI stuff of the newer versions of Cubase so I'll stick to it for now)

I've been experimenting with the multi-mode on the CS-80V, but it seems to restrict the polyphony - is there any way around this?? If I could use it on MIDI-channel 1-4 I'd be happy.

The other obvious way is to fire up four instances of the CS-80V and assign it to four different MIDI-ports. I'd rather not - as it would require three more 10 meter long MIDI-cables (the console is situated at the opposite side of my music room). I of course dedicate one of my MIDI-interfaces to it - the Edirol UM550 has enough ports to support the organ. Anyways - it will mean a lot of hazzle setting up for multiple MIDI-ports from the console - I would also have to reassign and build up the organ software from scratch (Hauptwerk).

Any other ideas out there??

Best regards!

Eivind
Oslo, Norway

computermuso since intel8088

LBH

Re: Emulating the GX-1 on a multimanual organ console with bass pedals
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:09 pm »
Hi Eivind,
Thanks for the picture. Impressive controller.

I've been experimenting with the multi-mode on the CS-80V, but it seems to restrict the polyphony - is there any way around this?? If I could use it on MIDI-channel 1-4 I'd be happy.
In the applications bottom panel you find the Polyphony Multiplier. It goes from x1 to x4. It mulyiplie the voices. At x4 you have 32 voices availble. Please refere to the CS-80 V3 manual section 3.2.10.4 Polyphony multiplier on page page 5.

The other obvious way is to fire up four instances of the CS-80V and assign it to four different MIDI-ports. I'd rather not - as it would require three more 10 meter long MIDI-cables 
If you can send out  multiple MIDI channels for a CS-80 multimode multizone preset using differnt MIDI channels without adding more cables, then i would believe you can use multiple instances on different armed tracks with differnt MIDI channels thru your DAW the same way without adding more cables.
I don't know about your cubase, but i would believe it's possible. Perhaps it require some settings in your controllers setup in Cubase. Please refere to your DAWs manual about that.

In cubase all your 5 manuals could be active i would believe.

BTW: I have posted a feature request about CS-80 multimode in the feyure request forum for CS-80, to make it easier to work with.

Good luck and fun
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:26:32 pm by LBH »

eivind

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://home.no.net/eifi
Re: Emulating the GX-1 on a multimanual organ console with bass pedals
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
Thanks again! That was really helpful!

Regarding using multiple tracks in Cubase 7.5 there might be an issue - even when I try to force a MIDI-channel it doesnt respond as expected when using MIDI-thru. I'll experiment some more with it. It seems to apply recorded material. No worries tho' - as I've kept Cubase 5 on my computer.
computermuso since intel8088

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines