April 24, 2024, 01:13:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [solved]Compatibility of Arturia Keystep with the Retrokits rk-002 MIDI cable  (Read 4083 times)

linuesa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Good morning,

I want to connect a Korg Volca FM to my Arturia Keystep by a retrokits rk- 002 cable to have sensitivity in velocity, but I do not know if it will have enough power to feed it. Can you give me this information ?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:02:01 pm by ben arturia »

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Hi Linuesa,

We didn't test the Keystep connected to the retrokits rk-002 midi cable. But on the retrokits web site it's stated that this cable works with Beatsteppro. So it should work on Keystep as its midi output is really similar to the Beatsteppro one.

That said, I don't know what is the power consumption of the retrokits rk-002 midi cable. So the limitation could then comes from the power source more than from the Keystep itself. For example, As the Keystep is a low power device (drawing less than 100mA) it can be powered by a portable device such as smartphone or tablet through USB. If the retrokits rk-002 midi cable is plugged to the Keystep, it will increase its consumption from the USB and maybe the total consumption (Keystep + retrokits rk-002) will be above the 100mA limit. So in case of "portable set-up" the total consumption of Keystep + retrokits rk- 002 midi cable must be less than 100mA.

If the Keystep is powered by a computer or by the DCin connector (stand alone), I think there will be no problem (as on Beatsteppro).

Best regards,
SCo

linuesa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks,

The important thing it's the ground pin from MIDI OUT of Arturia is connected to the power source (USB/DC). The retrokits cable feed it from this pin. It's the case? If this is the case I think maybe it can run with a DC adaptor or power bank usb, right?
Thanks for your answer!

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Hi Linusea,

Basically we are following the Midi specification: MIDI 1.0 Electrical Specification Update [2014]. For more information please check the following link for the latest MIDI electrical specification: http://dev.midi.org/techspecs/ca33.pdf

So yes the GND pin (pin #2) of the MIDI OUT connector is connected to GND of the Keystep which is the GND coming form USB and DCin. And, as the serial resistor (220 ohm) on 5V seems to not be a problem for retrokits rk-002 midi cable, then it should work.

Regards,
SCo

linuesa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Wow!!! Really thanks for this!
I think the Arturia Keystep will be a perfect machine ;)
Maybe we will see on the future a Keystep Pro, like on the Beatstep? It could be awesome.
Thanks so much!

linuesa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Confirmed. It works perfect. Thanks for all.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines