March 29, 2024, 12:56:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Still a not wanted behavior when OSC's are tuned equal or sync is used.  (Read 2918 times)

LBH

There's still odd things going on when the multiple OSC's are tuned equal (For instance zero). Some times the sound changes very much in a not logical or wanted way. It should'nt happen.
Same thing when sync is used.
Have reported the same behavior for V2.

jeffbart

Yes, I see what you mean.

If you tune the three to 0.0000, it sounds a certain way, then if you coarse tune an osc 1 semi up, and then back 1 semi, it sounds quite different. It's as if each time you tune them back into perfect unison, the total sound changes.

Similarly, if you turn sync ON there's a change in the wave sound, and then back to sync OFF, there is no difference in the wave sound i.e. it remains sounding like it did with sync on....until you shift one osc a bit, and back again.

Similarly, with changing octave back and forth.

It happens with all 3 osc set to the same waveform, and set to different waveforms.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:00:20 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

jeffbart

some background.
I remember reading years ago that the original hardware MiniMoog oscillators were never able to actually be in perfect locked solid unison, due to some design limitations, or noise introduced into the signal chain or something or other like that....which actually turned out to be a desirable and great sounding characteristic of the instrument.

Perhaps what we are hearing in Mini V3 and V2 is side effect of the waves being rendered in software. Probably 'too perfectly' in tune? 'Locking' together? Maybe on each edit the wave restarts its cycle leading to different combinations of three waves locked perfectly in tune but with different wave start points?

just guessing...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:05:46 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Hi everyone,
interesting one, i'll go check with my colleagues and keep you aware.

Best,

jeffbart

INterestingly...on trying something similar on 2600 and Modular, there's no weird phase or 'locking' effect - the 2600's oscillators sound quite nice when put in perfect unison, as do the Modular's. Maybe there is some clue there?

[UPDATE] Exactly the same thing as Mini happens in Matrix 12 V2
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:36:44 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

LBH

Something seems changed in the new update version 3.0.2. But if so it's not checked that sync actually works like it should.
(please check this in all applications having sync.)

Please see this in the manual. There are also drawings. I don't see complex waveform using the sync as explained and showed in the manual. Also please try all waveforms and ranges with all waveforms out. Something is not working correct.

5.1.1.5 Synchronization
The synchronization of an oscillator with another creates more complex waveforms. If for example, you synchronize oscillator2 with oscillator1, oscillator2 will restart a new period every time the first oscillator completes a
ARTURIA – Mini V – USER’S MANUAL 66
period, even if oscillator2 has not completed a complete period (this signifies that it is not tuned to the same tonality!) The more you tune oscillator2 upwards, the more you will encounter composite waveforms.
In the above image, oscillator2 is synchronized with the first and tuned to double the tonality. The resulting waveform is unique in that it cannot be created by standard synthesis techniques such as layering or filtering.

-----

(NB - Don't forget to do somethings about the feedback so it's more useful either. The growling don't seem to be right. To me it sound broken or bad.
And also please don't forget issues reported like about aftertouch not working correct, and about decay that should not be there when decay is switched off. Also the wavewidth issue is not fixed even if the release notes apparantly say so. You need to test and cjeck things much better Arturia. The reports explain well how to. I have'nt checked preset save bank issue yet.Please do it youtself and be sure things work correct.
It's clear some old faults and bugs from the old applications remain. How can that ve if the code is bew as you say as an excusee not to build on the old code?)

(EDIT: Don't forhet thieissue in this thread either. It's not fixed: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87769.0)

I most say i'm disapointed and a bit angry that so many bugs is in VC5 and not fixed even if it's old bugs reported in the old forum a long time ago.
It's like Arturia don't care if the applications work like they should and could.
I can think a car looks good on the surface, but it's no good if vital things uder the hood don't work, and when taking a closer look it don't look as good as it should.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:45:09 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines