March 28, 2024, 12:24:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Horrible Click with Leslie Speed Lever switching  (Read 8825 times)

jonnatchez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Horrible Click with Leslie Speed Lever switching
« on: June 03, 2016, 06:25:41 pm »
As an avid organ player and someone w lots of experience w actual B-3s, I'm generally thrilled with how this emulation sounds. But there appears to be one huge, inexplicable oversight: When switching between fast and slow speeds on the Leslie, there's an outrageously loud CLICK. I get that some people would want that click in there as a simulation of how that lever sounds on many organs but there doesn't seem to be any way to lower the click's volume or remove it altogether. I've scoured the manual and tried everything I can think of. Am I missing something?

If it is, in fact, something that is baked into the emulation: WWWWHHHHYYYYY??!?!?!? This one facet renders the entire instrument--or at least the Leslie component--completely unusable for me. Any traditional organ playing, particularly gospel/soul style, is gonna require frequent speed-switching; I know some gospel organists who at times switch speeds with every chord. And that click is so so so horrible sounding. Why oh why bake it into the program???? Maybe I'm missing something: if there is a way to turn it off/minimize it, please enlighten me (the "key click" level in advanced settings, which was something that I thought might work, does nothing for this.)

If it is a hardwired feature of the instrument: good lord, Arturia, please fix that ASAP. I imagine that would be fairly easy to do.

-Jon

martinl

Re: Horrible Click with Leslie Speed Lever switching
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:58:52 am »
+1

jackn2mpu

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »
Yet one more reason I don't use the internal Leslie. I use PSP's L'Otary which sounds like a real Leslie and not that piece of junk Arturia has. I don't know what they modeled but Arturia's sounds nothing like any Leslie I've ever played through.

Actually there are better B3 emulations out there; if you don't have one this may suffice until you get something better. Been playing real B's and not the newer digital simulations Hammond has since the 60's.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jonnatchez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 06:12:46 pm »
Jack, I'm curious what emulations you prefer; it's only been a few days, but so far I think the sound of the Arturia is top-tier, comparable to VB3 and the NI organ suite (which, I'll admit, I'm a sucker for just because they include M-3 and C-3 too even tho the sound isn't quite as good). Do you disagree? Genuinely curious: why? Which ones do you recommend.

And, yeah, Lotary is, soundwise, a cut above, no doubt, but I like the idea of a Leslie integrated into the emulation, if only for MIDI control/performance purposes. Lotary sounds great but I've never gotten the MIDI-learning function to work.

-Jon

jackn2mpu

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:39:50 pm »
Jack, I'm curious what emulations you prefer; it's only been a few days, but so far I think the sound of the Arturia is top-tier, comparable to VB3 and the NI organ suite (which, I'll admit, I'm a sucker for just because they include M-3 and C-3 too even tho the sound isn't quite as good). Do you disagree? Genuinely curious: why? Which ones do you recommend.

And, yeah, Lotary is, soundwise, a cut above, no doubt, but I like the idea of a Leslie integrated into the emulation, if only for MIDI control/performance purposes. Lotary sounds great but I've never gotten the MIDI-learning function to work.

-Jon
My first choice is NI's old B4-II when I'm working inside a 32 bit daw like PT10.3.10 or NI's Vintage Organs inside a 64 bit daw Like PT11.3.1 or DP 9.02 Why? Because it to me has a sound that has a lot more guts/power to it than the Arturia emulation. There's just no heft to the Arturia sound. The NI stuff can have a true di output if you want - no monkey business with turning off the Leslie and wondering if you're getting a true direct out or not. It sounds like Arturia modeled one of the early digital recreations Hammond/Suzuki did. The later ones are a lot better.

I'll admit the MIDI learn function on L'otary is a bit weird; I found I have to do that from inside a daw like PT or DP. But once it's learned it's permanent. That's how I got it to use the mod wheel on my Yamaha Motif7 to switch speeds. Depending on the daw you use you may have to use two MIDI tracks - one for the organ emulation and one for L'otary and then work with the MIDI routing in the daw. L'otary also has the ability to set the accell speeds much closer to what a real Leslie can do; with the Arturia it's down at the low end of the control where the resolution isn't up to the job. Also L'otary has decelleration controls.

I just popped for the PSP B Scanner which emulates the chorus/vibrato scanner inside a B3. Plus with the controls you can do a lot more than just those 6 settings. Audio Deluxe currently has it for $34.95 US for members when logged in. PSP's price right no is $69 US.

edit: added two sentences at the end of the first paragraph
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:27:03 pm by jackn2mpu »
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Johanzero

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:54 am »
Hi Jon,

I agressie! Arturia please get rid of that click of the levers of the leslie! I can't use it in my recordings. I need to record an organ track with fast and slow leslie party in it, I wanted the try the Arturia B3v for this but this is now out of the question! A pity, I wanted to give iT a try!

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
Hi everyone, as there are some people complaining about that, we'll have to reconsider this feature.
I report it to my colleagues, and i'll keep you aware, as usual.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Johanzero

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:12:41 pm »
Thank you for reconsidering that click in the leslie levers.
BTW, I apologize for the misspellings in my earlier mail. I didn't turn of the auto-spelling (dutch) on my ipad!
also thanks for you fast reply!

johan

LBH

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 02:15:18 pm »
Please let the click be variable. Sometimes the click is wanted.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 02:51:37 pm »
Please let the click be variable. Sometimes the click is wanted.
I could see key click being variable but a click when the Leslie is switched? Not so much. If back in the day I had a switch noisy like this I'd have it replaced or modified to be quieter right away.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jonnatchez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:16:18 pm »
Hi everyone, as there are some people complaining about that, we'll have to reconsider this feature.
I report it to my colleagues, and i'll keep you aware, as usual.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Awesome, thanks. Personally, I would simply want the ability to turn it off (can't imagine ever really wanting it in a piece of music), but I imagine there are some sticklers for realism who will want it in to some degree, so being able to control the level of it might be desirable. Either way, thanks for reconsidering.

-Jon

Lil Hoss Big Jake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
I had a leslie cabinet with foot switch controls.

It definitely had a pop, although not nearly as loud. When the band was playing live, it was barely noticeable. I could not use it in a studio as the horns made a ton of noise when changing speeds. Roadies Tender Loving Care ;D.

My vote would be to be able to mix it in.

Thanks,
Barry

jackn2mpu

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 03:29:25 am »
I had a leslie cabinet with foot switch controls.

It definitely had a pop, although not nearly as loud. When the band was playing live, it was barely noticeable. I could not use it in a studio as the horns made a ton of noise when changing speeds. Roadies Tender Loving Care ;D .

My vote would be to be able to mix it in.

Thanks,
Barry
That must be the preamp with speed controls Leslie made so guitar and regular keyboard players could use Leslies. As you say it was never the cleanest of boxes out there.

This reminds me of the couple of synths Arturia has in VC5 that have a noise control so one can bring back that old time crappy noise. At least one has the option of having the hum & noise at whatever one wants if indeed one even wants it. I spent a lot of time back in the day cleaning up the noise in old Leslies and have no wish to have that crud back to deal with.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be  ;D
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:39 am »
Hi All,
New versions of all our plugins are now available in the ArturiaSoftwareCenter.
Those versions should fix your issue.
A new parameter add been added in order to disable/enable this switching noise.
Best
Ben
.......testing.......

LBH

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the variable swirch click parameter in todays update version 1.0.2.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines