March 28, 2024, 07:47:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Synclavier V 2 WISHLIST for ARTURIA and Cameron  (Read 8160 times)

csbyron

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Synclavier V 2 WISHLIST for ARTURIA and Cameron
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:25:17 am »
Future wishlist:

1, SAMPLING and "RESYNTHESIS" :PLEASE implement the Synclavier Resynthesis (convert sample to FM ) capabilities of the Synclavier.
the product is only half complete at the moment. We all want its sampling tools.

1. original LED Display:
It would be great to get the LED put into the main Keyboard view. Not sure why it was omitted?
Its a real pain to not have knob data information largely displayed in the Synclavier front panel, like the original.
Looking at the bottom right corner to read tiny parameter info is rather counter intuitive.

2. DAC emulation for extra punch and warmth:
Are the original 100mhz military DAC's part of the emulation?
What DAC is being used in Synclavier V? a generic TAE or the original DAC's?

3. Library Expansion Packs:
once the Sampling/ Resynthesis is implemented, I presume  the complete original sound libraries will be available to purchase, since the Synclavier V is compatible?

4. Swing for Arpeggiator
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:42:39 pm by csbyron »

jackn2mpu

Re: Synclavier V 2 WISHLIST for ARTURIA and Cameron
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »
Future wishlist:

1, SAMPLING and "RESYNTHESIS" :PLEASE implement the Synclavier Resynthesis (convert sample to FM ) capabilities of the Synclavier.
the product is only half complete at the moment. We all want its sampling tools.

1. original LED Display:
It would be great to get the LED put into the main Keyboard view. Not sure why it was omitted?
Its a real pain to not have knob data information largely displayed in the Synclavier front panel, like the original.
Looking at the bottom right corner to read tiny parameter info is rather counter intuitive.

once the Sampling/ Resynthesis is implemented, I presume  the complete original sound libraries will be available to purchase, since the Synclavier V is compatible?

4. All that's missing is a dedicated midi hardware front-end to match the software ! ;-)
Agreed on all of this especially the sampling/resynthesis.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

moogfogger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »
1. loop function for time slice

2. copy/paste for Carrier/Modulator & phase windows

jackn2mpu

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:43:14 pm »

For #2 are you talking about between partials? If so that can be accomplished in a clunky way by copying/pasting the whole partial. But then you lose whatever else is different between the partials.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

moogfogger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 09:08:47 pm »

For #2 are you talking about between partials? If so that can be accomplished in a clunky way by copying/pasting the whole partial. But then you lose whatever else is different between the partials.

no not between the partials, but between the time slice points

creart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.creartgraphics.nl
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »
An UNDO function would be VERY welcome!!!
I'm very often playing around in the stand alone version and just dragging harmonics and without an undo you have to really be very careful what you do... Actually an UNDO with say 20 levels would be even  better :-)

cheers
Hans

creart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 04:52:07 pm »
SEARCH to include COMMENTS as well..

creart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 12:29:19 pm »
I could also use COPY/PASTE and/or presets for the Effects section...

Hagen11

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:06:36 am »
Future wishlist:

1. original LED Display:

4. Swing for Arpeggiator

Agreed on all too

George Ware

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 04:06:58 pm »
Future wishlist:

1. original LED Display:

4. Swing for Arpeggiator

Agreed on all too

I agree to all of the above

Hagen11

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
May I also add the possibility to sync the time slices to the bpm and to change the default envelopes of amplitude and harmonics parameters.

dluther

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:14 pm »

Well, resynthesis from the Synclavier would be nice, but has anyone seen this Youtube video? Resynthesis was performed with a series of OS commands on the original Synclavier. As far as sampling, there are many, many other samplers out there which would always be far better than an add-on.

1. original LED Display:

Yeah, that is a tad frustrating...

Now, here's where we're going to have a slight difference in opinion. The DAC has nothing to do with the soft synth itself, it's part of your DAW hardware. In order to resynthesize the output of the original DAC, there would have to be some kind of calibration based on your DAW's audio output because your own output stage is going to color the sound.

I hear what you're saying -- no other hardware synth sounds quite like a Roland JD-990 due to its 18-bit DACs, and everyone has their own opinion on the input converters of whatever board they have/want, but these are mostly subjective. The Synclavier was the pinnacle of digital synthesis, and just stating my opinion here, in the digital realm I'd prefer to keep the output stage as transparent/pristine as possible so I can color the sound with whatever I have available myself. This also ties into the sampling request from earlier because your mic, the mic pre's and ADC stages in your interface will influence the sample. If nothing else, it would negate the inevitable flame wars around how bad a theoretical sampling module for Synclavier-V is, when perhaps that Radio Shack microphone might be the culprit.

LBH

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 12:09:07 am »
I have modified my post from another thread, as this thread has been added.

First - Feature requests is okay.

Is this what's synclavier resynthesis is about?
3.1 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzBFcXC2G8
3.2 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK04cjS55wA
Perhaps someone find the videos amusing.

Could the samples be modified to sound completely different from the original sample? I don't think it can do more in other samplerscan do better today. If it can do anything different, then that perhaps could be something. But it's not shown in theese videos as far as i can tell.
I don't need another "simple" sampler or more soundfiles to fill my drives. But Arturia might have planed this all the time.

Being able to import different soundwaves like a sort of wave tables for the harmonics would be a thing i could use. Only the normal waveforms like sine, square and saw is pre programmed in Synvlavier V now.
Harmonics can in therory create any waveform if you know how to. And some kind of wave -/ harmonic table could make that easier. So some kind of wave -/ harmonic table is a feature i request.
Okay just 24 harmonics is used in Synclavier V, but still. Don't think that make to many audioble limitations.
Am i wrong?
Can samples do this better and make the lost space on my drive for more samples justice?
Is this what "Convert to FM" do? If so why not use harmonics and the existing features only?
If i'm missing something, then please tell me what it is.

Why is this sample/ resynthesis feature that important? What will it add that todays normal samplers can't do easier and better? Just asking.
There are other softsynths around that can use samples like Absynth. Will the a resynthesis in Synclavier be able to compete on the market for it's performance?
I wonder why i have'nt got an answer to this if the feature are that awesome.

If Arturia decide to create the sample feature i hope it will be as a add-on. One reason for this is also that i think. it can be very exspensive  to have any features that can competete with other possibilities on the market on performance.

I agree we need something better to see value than the misplaced panel in the bottom of the application. That apply for me to all VC 5 applications.

Best
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:22:29 am by LBH »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:15:22 am »
I have modified my post from another thread, as this thread has been added.

First - Feature requests is okay.

Is this what's synclavier resynthesis is about?
3.1 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzBFcXC2G8
3.2 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK04cjS55wA
Perhaps someone find the videos amusing.

Could the samples be modified to sound completely different from the original sample? I don't think it can do more in other samplerscan do better today. If it can do anything different, then that perhaps could be something. But it's not shown in theese videos as far as i can tell.
I don't need another "simple" sampler or more soundfiles to fill my drives. But Arturia might have planed this all the time.

Being able to import different soundwaves like a sort of wave tables for the harmonics would be a thing i could use. Only the normal waveforms like sine, square and saw is pre programmed in Synvlavier V now.
Harmonics can in therory create any waveform if you know how to. And some kind of wave -/ harmonic table could make that easier. So some kind of wave -/ harmonic table is a feature i request.
Okay just 24 harmonics is used in Synclavier V, but still. Don't think that make to many audioble limitations.
Am i wrong?
Can samples do this better and make the lost space on my drive for more samples justice?
Is this what "Convert to FM" do? If so why not use harmonics and the existing features only?
If i'm missing something, then please tell me what it is.

Why is this sample/ resynthesis feature that important? What will it add that todays normal samplers can't do easier and better? Just asking.
There are other softsynths around that can use samples like Absynth. Will the a resynthesis in Synclavier be able to compete on the market for it's performance?
I wonder why i have'nt got an answer to this if the feature are that awesome.

If Arturia decide to create the sample feature i hope it will be as a add-on. One reason for this is also that i think. it can be very exspensive  to have any features that can competete with other possibilities on the market on performance.

I agree we need something better to see value than the misplaced panel in the bottom of the application. That apply for me to all VC 5 applications.

Best
There are some things sampling can make possible that other sound generation methods just can't do. Harmonics alone, no matter the number of them, can create every sound. Harmonics are always going to have a stair-stepped waveform.

Something you're missing is we're not necessarily talking about having the Synclavier actually do the sampling. As has been said there are plenty of ways already on the market that are actual samplers. What would be good is if we can fly in our own samples that are already on our hard drives. Couple that with the resynthesis feature and truly complex evolving sounds are possible.

What is this 'convert to FM' thing you're talking about?

Really don't want to see sampling/resynthesis as an add-on but as a real part of the program. More stable that way. Won't be expensive in the way you're talking; it's just the development costs. Not saying those are inexpensive but no more than doing it as a separate piece of s/w. Trying to compare Absynth and Synclavier is like comparing Henry Ford's Model T with a LeMans F1 race car - two completely levels of making music just like two different ways olf getting around on 4 wheels.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:26 am »
Harmonics alone, no matter the number of them, can create every sound. Harmonics are always going to have a stair-stepped waveform.
Digital samples are not smooth as analog audio either.  They are also stair-stepped. Also the quality of the sample has an impact - also on file size.

What is this 'convert to FM' thing you're talking about?
I ask what is this (I've made it bold)? It's a qoute from the first post in this thread. So it's more appropriate if you explain it for me as i understand you want that.

Something you're missing is we're not necessarily talking about having the Synclavier actually do the sampling. As has been said there are plenty of ways already on the market that are actual samplers. What would be good is if we can fly in our own samples that are already on our hard drives. Couple that with the resynthesis feature and truly complex evolving sounds are possible.
And where will you save the edited sample? Will you use the original sample for your Synclavier Preset= You will not copy the sample or save a edited version or something like that?
EDIT: You also still have to have a sample on your drive- You might even have to have it in a certain format. EDIT END.

Trying to compare Absynth and Synclavier is like comparing Henry Ford's Model T with a LeMans F1 race car - two completely levels of making music just like two different ways olf getting around on 4 wheels.
What will the difference be between for instance Absynths way of using samples and Synclaviers way, to make that statement and even say it will not be exspensive? Is it features seen in much more exspensive samplers?
Why will that not cost?

What would be good is if we can fly in our own samples that are already on our hard drives. Couple that with the resynthesis feature and truly complex evolving sounds are possible.
That Absynth can do. Long evolving sounds is kind of a Absynth trademark, and it can use sample for it. How can Synclavier do it different or better?

You don't tell what Synclavier resynthesis actually can do. Do you have a link for some examples?

Won't be expensive in the way you're talking; it's just the development costs. Not saying those are inexpensive but no more than doing it as a separate piece of s/w.
In what hat way do i talk, that you don't agree in?

The only reason i suggest add-on is if it's exspensive to make the feature, and if it make the application use more space on the drive in some way, A add-on is a compromise. Then those who wan't the the feature can get it, and others can avoid it and not having to pay for it. The feature can make the V-collection too exspensive. That can be bad - also for Arturia.
But Arturia will do what they wan't and have planned.

I really don't wan't to argue. Just wan't to know why this sampling feature is that important as some say. Why would i wan't to have the feature? What's different?

EDIT: The way i see it, then the mixture of using single editable partials and using harmonics is the speciel thing for Synclavier V. I prefere Arturia to make it easier to work with that. There are some suggestions in the thread for that. EDIT END.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:11:01 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines