March 28, 2024, 10:37:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I'm curious why the Spark CDM was discontinued  (Read 4801 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
I'm curious why the Spark CDM was discontinued
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:58:56 pm »
As per the thread title. That's pretty much it.
The SparkLE looks all fine and dandy, but the CDM has SO MUCH more functionality to it. I'm sure it's more expensive to produce, but BOY! is it a nice product. I'm thankful I was able to find one on eBay.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the CDM will continue to be supported into the infinite future of the Spark software.   ;D
This space left intentionally blank.

mixalis

Re: I'm curious why the Spark CDM was discontinued
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:38:15 pm »
I had Spark CDM and sold it so i can have Spark le!  ............

So its just a matter of taste.......I love this drum machine anyway!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:56:11 pm »
The SparkLE looks all fine and dandy, but the CDM has SO MUCH more functionality to it. I'm sure it's more expensive to produce, but BOY! is it a nice product. I'm thankful I was able to find one on eBay.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the CDM will continue to be supported into the infinite future of the Spark software.   ;D

Hi as one of the original testers for the spark cdm when spark 2 came into development we the testers where ask if we wanted to keep the spark cdm gui as  i think arturia where thinking of dropping the cdm for the new sparkle . I personal asked to keep deveopment for cdm users .but I'm not sure how long this will last now.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:39:42 am »

Hi as one of the original testers for the spark cdm when spark 2 came into development we the testers where ask if we wanted to keep the spark cdm gui as  i think arturia where thinking of dropping the cdm for the new sparkle . I personal asked to keep deveopment for cdm users .but I'm not sure how long this will last now.

regards

Terrym
Well, thank you for that much at least. Because I had the Spark2 software for about a year before I got my CDM, I was able to IMMEDIATELY and super-intuitively start using the CDM hardware, because the software interface was exactly the same.
As to the future of Spark, there is no legitimate reason to drop support for the CDM. Tons of people still have that hardware, and to drop support would be ludicrous.
This space left intentionally blank.

mrfugu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
I agree, the CDM device is a key part of my studio, and aside from portability, is a far superior interface for Spark2 to the LE control surface.

jmcecil

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:29:19 pm »
Count me in the group of people who have a CDM and would be pissed if support went away.  I have no use for the LE.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:12gb -  OS:Win8x64 - Interface:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 -  MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru -
Host: Cubase 6.5/7 x64 | Reaper 4.5 x64 |Wavelab 8 x64 - Arturia Stuff: V Collection | Spark | Keylab 61

Mathieu Pe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »
I got both controllers and I like them both for differen reasons. Portability being the only one to go with the LE.
I believe they dropped Spark all together because they thought it was competing against their own products in the drumbrute line. I m ok with spark how it is now. But as soon as the first OS uncompatibilities will start showing up, i will certainly be pissed off big time. That will be the time to write a script to integrate the controllers into bitwig studio = problem solved.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:54:58 pm »
because the software interface was exactly the same

In my opinion, this is what Arturia have missed the point on. I felt like I was lobbying them (Poor Kevin :)) trying to keep this the same but unfortunately the software was more a priority than the hardware and perhaps they felt it was dating it by not moving on. (Ironically, as to start off it was a retro drum machine)

To have a solid, reliable piece of software that sounded great and was totally accessible by a hardware controller (No extra mapping or faffing around) would have been a game changer

Thanks, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 06:12:31 pm »
I got both controllers and I like them both for differen reasons. Portability being the only one to go with the LE.
I believe they dropped Spark all together because they thought it was competing against their own products in the drumbrute line. I m ok with spark how it is now. But as soon as the first OS uncompatibilities will start showing up, i will certainly be pissed off big time. That will be the time to write a script to integrate the controllers into bitwig studio = problem solved.

SparkLE was an error in my opinion, I'm assuming they wanted to make a more portable machine, which is fine. But, rather than making specific software for the product (As they had with CDM) they enveloped SparkLE into the Spark software, which in order to span the gap between the two pieces of hardware, made the CDM experience 'less' and the SparkLE experience 'Not quite'

Then the software was expanded on with controls not available via the hardware meaning you had all kinds of extra button presses to get back to where you were. Essentially, the software took on a life of it's own without considering it's hardware unit that was meant to be it's controller.

That said, I think the last updates is a great compromise and very usable in it's own right. Bugs have been addressed and I do hope that support carries on for what is, a great little product.   

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7