March 28, 2024, 11:01:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCO Frequency / VCF Mode knobs  (Read 6580 times)

CC4

• Beta-testers
VCO Frequency / VCF Mode knobs
« on: May 21, 2016, 04:34:33 pm »
There doesn't seem to be any way to fine tune the oscillators. They can be adjusted in semitones but not cents.  The new manual says "If moving with the control key pressed, the knob works as a fine tuning knob (changes the frequency in Cents)," but that doesn't appear to be working for me.

Also the VCF Mode knob is a bit messed up.  It visually snaps from Low-pass to Band-pass mode, but the Low-pass mode itself doesn't seem to kick in until the knob is rotated to the .088 position.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: VCO Frequency / VCF Mode knobs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:23:44 am »
Hi,
It's implemented but there's currently no visual feedback to read the value. You can fine tune your osc with right click and drag (and not control key pressed, there's a mistake in the manual) but you will just have your ears to set the fine tune. Don't worry we will set back a tooltip in a future update.
Best

LBH

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:41 am »
Hi Valentin,

I believe you mean it will be fixed  "in a soon to be bugfix" . I understand updates will cost money from now on.

Also the issues with the filter is being bugfixed very soon? It's very bad. This is clearly a big bug.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:20:52 am by LBH »

masi

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:42:08 pm »
You can fine tune your osc with right click and drag (and not control key pressed, there's a mistake in the manual) but you will just have your ears to set the fine tune. Don't worry we will set back a tooltip in a future update.
Best

Doesn't work for me. If I press and hold the right mouse button the status bar quickly shows "Freq (finetuning)" but reverts back immediately to "Freq (coarse)". Cannot here any difference after dragging quite a lot.

BTW, the status bar only tells me numbers from 0 to 48 without any mention of the unit (semitones). That's an omission compared to all other knobs and switches. There the status bar is great and and improvement in comparison to v1.

The new GUI looks fine. Too bad there is no indicator of the enabled "add-ons" (effects, modulations, etc)

Masi

Sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:51 pm »
Hi,

@CC4:
Regarding the fine tuning, Valentin is right. We currently have a feedback issue that impacts two different things: the tooltip and the knob's position itself. But still, you can control the fine tuning with a right click. I agree that it makes the fine tuning feature hard to use though. I'm working on it, and the fix will be included in the next SEM update (that should be released during June).
Now, concerning the VCF multimode, I agree with you. I'm looking into it in order to fix it with the next update too.

@LBH:
This kind of updates won't cost any money ;)

@Masi:
As I said earlier, we know that the toolbar does not show the fine tuning current value.
If you're sure that you cannot hear any difference while dragging the tuning knob (using the right mouse button), could you please provide me an example of preset so I can try to reproduce this issue?

Best,
Sam
Software engineer
Arturia

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:43 pm »
@LBH:
This kind of updates won't cost any money ;)

That's fine Sam. Thanks for the reply.

It should'nt cost. But we have just seen that even bugfixes like this to cost for VC4 owners. So need to know what we can exspect.

Seing in the release notes for the latest updates, then there has clearly been fixed large old bugs. Why do they cost to get fixed? The product VC4 is not that old. But in reallity you have discontinuet the VC4 as those old bugs will not be fixed in VC4 products. I think they should so we also could use all things in VC4. Also VC4 owners are forced to pay without there old versions will even work as they should do.
The way Arturia do it is not proper.

Under this circumstances we actually need informations on what we can exspect to be free bugfixes and updates, - and what we can't exspect to be - just like any other product have to give.

If a bugfix like this VCF bug will not cost money, why should the old known bugs in VC4 cost?
See there is something we need to have in the clear of what to exspect before we buy the product? Also about in what DAW's we can use all the VC products features.

I think my concerns are fair and reasonable.

Best

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:49:42 am »
Hi,
We've just released a version (v2.0.1) yesterday that includes feedback for fine tuning and a proper alignment between the sound and the vcf gui.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:48:50 pm »
Hi Valentin,

It's true there are a difference in version 3.0.1. But it still jumps a strange place. Some values seems wrong. When going under to the left passing LP = 100% it should go directly to BP i would think. Where is LP 100 %? I still think it behave odd in every way.

The old values where you clearly could see when the LP was 100% and what was happening no matter what was/ is much better.
The old SEM shows when it's LP - Notch and Notch-HP and Band Pass. Procentage for all. Much better. Please let it be like that. Give a much better feeling. Also to no when you switch to BP.

I'm sorry, but i don't consider this filter and filterknob issue fixed.
Hard to say how much/ good the filter react. Needs more tests.
No matter what, then the values are still not good.

Best
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:53:38 pm by LBH »

looneytunes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »
I do not find any way to adjust fine-tune from the VCO freq knobs via either dragging or using any modifier key for SEM V 2 (2.0.1.58) on a Mac OS-X.  This works for me on SEM V (1.4.0.76).

Best,
Kevin L

LBH

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 09:53:54 pm »
Hi Valentin,

It's true there are a difference in version 3.0.1. But it still jumps a strange place. Some values seems wrong. When going under to the left passing LP = 100% it should go directly to BP i would think. Where is LP 100 %? I still think it behave odd in every way.

The old values where you clearly could see when the LP was 100% and what was happening no matter what was/ is much better.
The old SEM shows when it's LP - Notch and Notch-HP and Band Pass. Procentage for all. Much better. Please let it be like that. Give a much better feeling. Also to no when you switch to BP.

I'm sorry, but i don't consider this filter and filterknob issue fixed.
Hard to say how much/ good the filter react. Needs more tests.
No matter what, then the values are still not good.

Best

Still the same  in todays update version 2.0.2, Need to be fixed.
Actually it's virtually the same as in version 2.0.0. Please don't tell and think things is fixed if they are not.

Please also check this as it's still not fixed: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87799.msg132238#msg132238
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:02:18 am by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:31 pm »
Found this:

The following is a quote about the SEM filter from the article Tom Oberheim SEM in this link -
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tom-oberheim-sem

"it offered four modes (low‑pass, high‑pass, notch and band‑pass), which made it possible to obtain a diverse range of sounds not available on the competition. You selected these using a single knob that offered the band‑pass response via a switched position at its maximum anti‑clockwise position, or you could sweep through the other three as you turned the knob clockwise. This meant that you could obtain filter profiles that were notch‑like, but biased toward low‑pass or high‑pass by turning the knob to somewhere lying between either of its extremes and its 12 o'clock position."

This is how it should work. Take note of the "---- switched position .....".
This is how the VC4 SEM work, and how the VC5 SEM sgould work. The parameter values shall show this in the VC5 version just like the VC5 version do.

This mean the bandpass has and shall only have a single value that simply could be "Bandpass" or "BP" or if needed "0".

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 02:17:05 pm »
Hi LBH,

the v2.0.2 has fixed the Filter GUI switch issue. I'have asked to set back the filter percent which I agree was a nice feature but does not change filter reaction ;)

LBH

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:43:14 pm »
Hi Valentin.

No as i reported in my posts above it's not fixed i'm afraid in the latest version. The problem is still similar to the first reported.
There is still values that has no function when in BP.
And values are now between 0.087-0.091 when the LP kick in. It's very hard to tell the corrext value, and it's impossible to tell where LP is at max. Not even sure i can get the max of the LP set. At what value is it MAX according to the coding?

It's to confusing as it is now.
So i'm glad if we get more precise values. Don't understand why you have changed things that worked.

Best

LBH

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:24 pm »
Regarding todays update of SEM V2 to version 2.0.4.1087 after a short test.

Many parameters now show procentage.
But unfortunately not on the filter type.
This issue is still not fixed. Why not?
Why can't it be done like it was in SEM V? That worked much better.

LBH

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:35:07 pm »
After a short try out this seems to be fixed for at least the filter in the new version 2.1.0.205. It's nice with the new (old) values.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines